Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 310 total)
  • The road disk debacle continues – banned from French Sportives
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Because they weren’t on trial.

xyeti
    Free Member

Flasheart, i KNOW what you are saying but,

Dunlops tyres, Make you go faster, ride more Comfy. recently 23mm, 25m and even 28mm on some of the Classics.

QR Wheels, faster wheel changes than the butterfly nuts, “Yes i remember them” i even had them….

Gears, Make you faster

Cable brakes, Make you faster “prob say the same in another few years re disks” once they develop a QR cam or latching system.

Aero Everything, Makes you faster,

Most if not all have upsides, For these guys “AND AT THE MINUTE” For the here and now, Baring in mind we have only really seen the major Classics and a few minor tours the negatives outweigh the positives.

Frame design, Flexing and scuffing the pads knocking YOUR powere down, POWER that pays your wages, that is worked for, trained for, paid for,
    Slower wheel changes, Years of riding QR’s times down to a few seconds when all of a sudden your riding cobbles, in Belgium and you know at some point theres gonna be a wheel change, you have just turned yourself inside out to close the gap and now youve flatted, i hate trying to get that shagging disk between those bastard pads…….
    Heat build up, plastic frames, has anyone mentioned they are Dangerous??????

Like i said, It’ll happen but i think the industry and bike manufacturers have to think a bit more instead of pumping out stuff knowing that we are stupid enough to buy it. Good for them i say for shunning it and lets see some better ideas on frame design.

xyeti
    Free Member

FFS, Do any of you lot have a job,

You know when some one says, These weapons are on trial, if the bastard things break or fail to fire then we will sell them to the French…………

Like a footballer who’s shit and gets sent back to his team………… he was on trial and now hes proved he’s shit hes gone back. TRIAL over…… Next.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dunlops tyres, Make you go faster, ride more Comfy. recently 23mm, 25m and even 28mm on some of the Classics.

QR Wheels, faster wheel changes than the butterfly nuts, “Yes i remember them” i even had them….

Gears, Make you faster

Cable brakes, Make you faster “prob say the same in another few years re disks” once they develop a QR cam or latching system.

Aero Everything, Makes you faster,

Better brakes – Safer, more control, allow you to stay faster for longer. Also, I’d wager there’s more flex at the outer end of the wheel than at the hub if you want to talk about brake rub.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone has shunned anything. It’s on hold pending an investigation. Meanwhile the Internet has a meltdown because it’s not all resolved in Internet time.

Given how few people (who arguably don’t want it anyway) this decision actually effects I don’t really see an issue with taking time over it.

xyeti
    Free Member

@ I’mnotverygood.

You know the spokes are bound at the ends with threaded beads laced into a rim right, its not like a wheel hitting your leg is going to punture you with the ends,

The spokes on wheels werent arent on trial, they helped form the bike today as we know it, before a governing body saw fit to impose technicalities on stuff and things. These disks “MIGHT” if ridden into, over, across cause damage, these problems were highlighted BEFORE introduction and then introduced in Time Trialing where by if you make contact with another rider you have done something really good or really bad.

Nothing too strenous there as its mainly flat and although arduous not particuarly taxing for a pair of brakes.

So it was decided to introduce the emperors new clothes into a few teams as a “TRIAL” and upon that basis something happened, Trial Halted.

dragon
    Free Member

Also, I’d wager there’s more flex at the outer end of the wheel than at the hub if you want to talk about brake rub.

Probably is but you can set calipers further away if needed. In fact one of the few advantages of calipers is the ability to adjust this distance on the fly. I bent a wheel in a road race when I clipped the bike of the rider in fronts frame. Yet i could open up the caliper on the fly without losing my place in the bunch.

xyeti
    Free Member

Flasheart, i dont really want to talk about brake rub,, i dont go fast enough on the road to warrant disk brakes.

The flex i mentioned was recorded by a team who noticed that when OOTS sprinting or climbing or putting the hammer down the rotor was scrubbing the brakes, they deemed that to be a disadvantage.

hours, days, weeks, months spent training. Working out power maximising watts, OH wait Guys, i’ve got some shit to bolt on your bike, its heavier and it’ll knock your power off as it scrubs on the pads, No we cant adjust the pad spacing with a simple grub screw at the calliper, we can bleed them tonight and hope that’ll make em better but i’ve got to do it naked, standing on one leg, with the moon in its third phase whilst a cockrell crows.

Even then the feel in the lever will go dead as the heat builds up in the reservoir.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I bent a wheel in a road race when I clipped the bike of the rider in fronts frame.

That bent wheel wouldn’t have caused any brake rub on a disc. Any rub would be at the rim, not the hub. Wheels flex more at the rim than at the hub. There will be more brake rub from calipers than discs, especially when out of the saddle or sprinting.

xyeti
    Free Member

Maybe they “Imagined” it then,

mrblobby
    Free Member

Rim rub doesn’t matter as the brakes are so ineffective. Disc brake rub though stops you dead.

🙂

smatkins1
    Free Member

I fell of my bike in a race on Sunday and there was contact between my leg and the rotor!!!

I’ve got some strange black marks on my leg where I seem to have branded myself. I’ve also got a small 1 cm cut. First time I’ve burnt/cut myself with a brake rotor in 15 years.

We must ban disk brakes from enduro racing at once!

cookeaa

I mentioned it on the other thread but this illustrates why discs have the potential to make road bikes go faster IMO…

All the “whataboutery” from either stand point isn’t really moving anything forwards ultimately…

But i’d imagine they wanted a STOP on the trial with immeiate effect after the accident “Just in case” with a view to a descision being made after collating their evidence.

The Key word there is evidence, isn’t it? I am not sure any has been presented that conclusively demonstrates the perceived dangers…
    Was any evidence actually cited at the time the UCI halted the trial?

I take it theres No footage of this incident then?

Excellent question… Anyone?

Assuming there’s not (because we’ve been instagramming carved up knees but no crash footage) Ventoso’s injury is arguably just as consistent with him having piled into a ~100mm dia sprocket or a pedal, as a disc rotor on another bike, both also pointy, and at about the same height as a shin…

So guards for cassettes shouldn’t be ruled out as possible recommendations from this hypothetical UCI investigation I suppose…

For the lack of evidence it will all come down to his version of how the injury occurred, someone will eventually have to either challenge the details of his account or else they just accept it entirely on faith as honest and true…

And as before this was never about compelling disc use, simply understanding what risks/benefits would come from allowing the choice for Pro-teams… Now amateur (non-racing) cyclists are being penalised…

I await the UCI’s findings with interest…

theotherjonv

Like a footballer who’s shit and gets sent back to his team…………

to extend the analogy. Like a footballer who might be shit, but no-one actually saw him play, they have just hypothesized he was shit.

And someone saw another footballer who looked a bit like him and he was shit, so on that basis made a further assumption that they must both be shit 😉

Northwind

to extend the analogy. Like a footballer who might be shit, but no-one actually saw him play, they have just hypothesized he was shit.

Actually he played, and was doing just fine, but someone who’d never seen him play heard in the pub he was shit. Though actually, they were thinking of that other guy, you know, he used to play for Chesterfield. The ginger one.

wilburt
    Free Member

Why do you care what kind of brakes I prefer?

tonyg2003

It’s all a bit pathetic. The only “risk” in my view is having a mix of disc and rim brakes in very wet conditions especially with rim riders using poor combinations of carbon wheels/ break blocks. Otherwise I can’t see any other greater risk to riders than other pointy bits on bikes.

I was in a big crash at the end of a road race sprint once. When I eventually got the people and bike bits off me I checked myself over and seemed to be OK apart from a small cut on my forehead by my eyebrow. The medic at the end took a look a me and said “you were lucky”. I must have been confused and they said “take a look at your glasses”. I took them off and there was a set of perfectly spaced chain ring marks across the specs. I still have those specs hanging up in my workshop.

scud
    Free Member

I ride a disc Roubaix and whenever i have the traditionalists have a go i always think back to doing the Tour de Yorkshire sportive last year, coming down a 15% steep slope in rain so heavy that it was like riding down a river at 35mph, i’m 101kg (despite riding 8000 miles a year) and i managed to brake and make the left hand turn at the bottom easily in the rain. The guy just ahead who could not of weighed more than 70kg could not brake in time, his rim brakes were simply not cutting it and he went straight over on the junction and through the windscreen of a Transit Connect van.

So whilst i can appreciate that the average sportive rider has nowhere near the talent a pro rider has, i do feel that disc brakes have there place. I feel more confident in my daily commute having been knocked off twice by people pulling out of side roads that i can stop pretty much dead in all weathers too.

jameso

– note the drawing shows a flat mount road brake.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Hat to anyone who knows the bike by the way.

Looks like every other road bike to me.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ah so Shimano are behind it! They are paying Pro’s to get a kitchen knife, slice their leg/arm open and then blame it on the rotor.

That way Shimano get to sell road discs AND get everyone to but their plastic guard thing

nikk
    Free Member

Why do the edges of bike disc brakes have to be sharp?

Can they not be rounded?

IdleJon

They aren’t sharp, are they? You can press your finger against one with no chance of cutting yourself.

MoreCashThanDash

I take it theres No footage of this incident then?

iirc there was film/photos of the crash on the road.cc coverage. None of the riders involved were from either of the two teams using disc brakes at the race in question.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ That diagram has the word HOT written on it..

Does that mean it’s Hot now? in the future? being used? not being used? or the words are an acronym of “Hugefatnakker On Top”?

MoreCashThanDash

Hugefatnakker On Top

*quietly bins the “This rider is HOT” t-shirt*

😳

philjunior
    Free Member

IdleJon – Member
    They aren’t sharp, are they? You can press your finger against one with no chance of cutting yourself.

Little experiment for anyone who believes this.

Cruel version – spin a wheel on your disc braked bike as fast as you can. Press a finger against the outer edge of the disc.

Less cruel version – press something else with similar properties to skin on it.

(FWIW I think discs seem reasonable for sportives, and run them myself on my commute/winter bike, but I’m not in favour of them in the Tour unless the riders themselves are after running them, which they appear not to be).

IdleJon

philjunior – Member

IdleJon – Member

Little experiment for anyone who believes this.

Cruel version – spin a wheel on your disc braked bike as fast as you can. Press a finger against the outer edge of the disc.

Less cruel version – press something else with similar properties to skin on it.

Yes, well done. A spinning disc will cut into flesh. But that’s because they are spinning, not because they are sharp. In the same way that you could stab yourself with a blunt knife but that wouldn’t make the blunt knife a sharp object. (I’ve stabbed myself in the leg with a pliers handle before now – extremely blunt, and I’m extremely cack-handed.)

cookeaa

I just realised I have ridden in a sportivey bunch, in the wet, using discs… A couple of months ago, a mate and me entered a cyclocross sportive being run alongside a road one, so the starts were mixed groups of a hundred or so, and the first few miles were along the same set of damp, gravel strewn country lanes mixed up with the roadies…

I would say the issue was almost the opposite of what many claim it should be, in that, given the conditions and the mixed ability of the bunch, the rim braked road bikes were generally dragging much earlier on approach and well into many of the corners, while we on discs, (and possibly with more grip) were able to brake later, with more control and be off the brakes choosing a line rather than hanging on for dear life through half the corners.

Now I admit a sportive, certainly isn’t a race but I did find that having more confidence in my brakes meant I was possibly more likely to ride into someone else on rim brakes than be shunted from behind in that particular instance…

Now, let’s see your best “cool story Bro” memes…

philjunior
    Free Member

Yes, well done. A spinning disc will cut into flesh.

And whilst you’re moving, it’ll be spinning.

I’m not a disc brake hater, I think the risk is small and sportives should allow them, but on the basis of accepting a small risk, not pretending it’s not there. In a tight bunch there is a chance of contact. It’s *possible* (Not likely, and no comment on whether any pros did in fact slice their leg open on a disc or on the flying spaghetti monster, but said riders probably have a better idea what happened than you or I).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

More likely to be cut by the also spinning aero bladed spokes.

sputnik
    Free Member

Spokes are inside the rim, disc sits outside.
    So a front wheel hits you , gets slightly deflected and buzzes your leg ,ear nose whatever. The disc standing proud, cuts you, like a meat slicer, not the spokes.
    A positive is the wound will be cauterised thanks to hot disc.

nikk
    Free Member

This is bad logic.

A spinning blunt thing will hurt you, but it will be through friction, not cutting. You can’t slice yourself open with the back of a knife.

Stabbing is different. You can be punctured by a bit of 2 x 4 if it has enough energy

A brake disc does have quite sharp edges – an abrupt 90 degree angle. It could cut you if you run your finger along it. And of course spinning, it will slice easily (ask the guy I met in morzine 5 years ago when he sliced open his finger on one through stupidity).

So the question remains why are the edges of disc brakes not chamfered or rounded?

nikk
    Free Member

Aero spokes aren’t sharp, they won’t cut you.

crazy-legs

Aero spokes aren’t sharp, they won’t cut you.

2.45 to about 3.30 on this video:
    https://youtu.be/JplymlruPZ8

In fact, the whole video is worth watching to dispel some of the utter shite being spouted in the rest of this thread…

shifter
    Free Member

So the question remains – why are the edges of disc brakes not chamfered or rounded?

Generally, that would be an extra cost. Why they weren’t already for pro roadies looking for every (.01 %) aero advantage, I don’t know.

nikk
    Free Member

It’s not cut, it is torn / pulled apart. Standard round spokes would do the same.

Or you could give us a summary of your boundless wisdom.

😛

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I commend the French!

Disc brakes should be banned from all road bikes under international law (and while they’re at it, fat bikes need to be banned as well!). They go completely against the spirit of what a road bike is about, namely minimum weight, maximum speed and aesthetic elegance.

This

And this

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/eddy-merckx-disc-brakes-peloton-irresponsible-221408

Why oh why would you ever want disc brakes on road race bikes?!

I’m glad the French have taken a stand. If you want to ride in their Sportives then learn how to ride a bike capably. Chances are, if you’re a disc brake user you’re a poor rider.

rezis
    Free Member

@JoB – fat bikes don’t need rim brakes, so much grip you don’t need to brake. Ask your dad…

Disc brakes are here, they don’t explode and take out the whole peloton so lets get on with it.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

Why oh why would you ever want disc brakes on road race bikes?!

I’m glad the French have taken a stand. If you want to ride in their Sportives then learn how to ride a bike capably. Chances are, if you’re a disc brake user you’re a poor rider.

That about sums it up perfectly, nothing more to add!!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 310 total)

The topic ‘The road disk debacle continues – banned from French Sportives’ is closed to new replies.