Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 310 total)
  • The road disk debacle continues – banned from French Sportives
  • wilburt
    Free Member

What next all BMX should have panniers because you think their the best way of carrying luggage?

philjunior
    Free Member

I think the difference between this and a pro race is that one would hope a sportive would be reasonably open to people who only had one bike (albeit a fairly sporty one) – as far as I am aware you wouldn’t expect a spare wheel etc. on a sportive.

That said, a spinning disc is more likely to cut than a chainring and will continue spinning as long as the bike is moving, or even for a while when not (particularly if you have mechanical fraud going on, eh?). I’m not sure of the safety argument in any case, but it is certainly a different set of considerations to what the pro peleton should be running.

cloudnine
    Free Member

The manufacturers just need to make disc only frames.. The only way to make stuff obsolete is to stop making it and bring in a new standard.. Down with rim brakes and those scared of discs!

sputnik
    Free Member

The biggest knee jerk reaction is by all the disk brake equipped road bike owners.
    Do they not see at all how a disc on the front wheel can cause injuries , especially in a high speed mass pile up?

dragon
    Free Member

can descend better and brake in a more controlled (less panicky) manner and as such am a much safer rider, especially when in groups.

I can’t see how the braking systems makes any difference, people have been riding in groups for over 80 years without problems. Heck on the velodrome they don’t even have brakes (use the fixie for controlling speed).

one would hope a sportive would be reasonably open to people who only had one bike

They aren’t and have never been, you think recumbents are allowed?

It is worth noting that a sportive in France is really a race, they aren’t like UK ones. I don’t know whether the French run them under full UCI rules, but it wouldn’t surprise me, and hence possibly the discs ban.

ninfan
    Free Member

It is worth noting that a sportive in France is really a race, they aren’t like UK ones. I don’t know whether the French run them under full UCI rules, but it wouldn’t surprise me, and hence possibly the discs ban.

Indeed, if you really wanted to mess up a French Sportive, then you need only turn up with a drug testing van…

crazy-legs

Do they not see at all how a disc on the front wheel can cause injuries , especially in a high speed mass pile up?

Um, I can’t.
    Especially when compared to the numerous other sharp sticky-outy fast-spinny things on bikes.
    Basically if any part of you hits a disc rotor, that same part of you would have been going into the wheel if the rotor wasn’t there.

And the ground can cause injuries too. That tends to be quite hard and unyielding. Best ban that as well.

Yes, French (and Spanish) sportives are essentially races – certainly up the sharp end. It’s not uncommon to get ex-pros turning up to them for a bit of training. I’ve ridden a couple in Belgium and the riding standard is far superior to anything over here but by God they’re fast! The only difference between a Sportive and a race is that during a Sportive everyone stops for junctions and red lights and “attacking” is seen as very poor etiquette. You ride as a group – but properly **** smash it!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

people have been riding in groups for over 80 years without problems

Pneumatic tyres can he a blow out. Potentially lethal. Ban them.
    A brake cable might snap, leaving brakes potentially lethal. Ban them.

Ban EVERYTHING!

philjunior
    Free Member

one would hope a sportive would be reasonably open to people who only had one bike
    They aren’t and have never been, you think recumbents are allowed?

Note “albeit a fairly sporty one”. Recumbents are generally comfort/fun machines rather than sport machines. Anyway, recumbent riders are weird, who’d want one in their sportive? (My dad has a recumbent, I should know)

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Simple soloution….round the edges of the disk.

Free Member

Does any one thing this could happen to uk sportives or even club runs. Swapping over from MTB riding with big discs mainly to a rim brake Defy I just hated rim brakes but am now far happier on a discs brake Defy. Not all of us are happy doing 50 + down hill on roads.

ransos
    Free Member

If the users wanted them you wouldn’t need convince them.

Users do want them. If you need evidence, just ask your LBS.

bikebouy
    Free Member

😆

This story is hilarious, for all the right reasons.

Junkyard
    Free Member

THIS

I can see how a water bottle can cause a terrible injury to a rider and the saddle and the bars it doesn’t mean its likely.
    As noted if you dont hit the disc you hit the wheel/spokes anyway so the best you can say is you alter the kind of injury rather than it causes injuries.

lunge

I think banning them is excellent for 1 reason and 1 reason alone. And that is because last year I bought a bloody lovely rim braked road bike and the longer new tech takes to become mainstream, the longer it takes for me to decide I want another new bike.

jameso

It’ll be interesting to see what manufacturers do in response to this…

My fiver is on ‘nothing’.

Jamz
    Free Member

I commend the French!

Disc brakes should be banned from all road bikes under international law (and while they’re at it, fat bikes need to be banned as well!). They go completely against the spirit of what a road bike is about, namely minimum weight, maximum speed and aesthetic elegance.

xyeti
    Free Member

Crazy-legs, so what you are saying is that you wouldn’t be bothered if you had stopped sharply and dabbed straddling your bike when the riders behind you who aren’t managing to slow down to a stop quite so well went into the back of you, wouldn’t you think that a disk hitting your calf could damage you? The other sharp spinny shit on bikes are as suggested largely covered in a chain some of the time,

The Tarmac argument is stupid to be honest, it’s not like some one is complaining that it’s hard and it hurts and it’s not like riders don’t know this, look at Sagan when skilfully stayed upright riding over Cancellara’s bike on the PR, it was that or pain and the riders know how negotiate the inevitable and sometimes your luck runs out, but just because they have temporarily banned disks doesn’t mean they are looking at how to soften a riders fall or stop racing completely as some one might fall off.

Some tragic accidents have occurred in Cycling very recently and prior to the Motorbike incident safety issues were raised which resulted in one rider dead in a freak tragic accident. Imagine if a rider died after being cut in the neck by a disk after some one has raised a safety concern, The outcome doesn’t bare thinking about.
    I’m not saying it’s gonna definitely happen and I’m not saying it’s never going to happen, a concern has been raised and as the sports governing body it has to listen, something which the UCI doesn’t always get right.

i don’t know what you do for a living but let’s say for instance you ride bikes as a job, a colleague raises concerns about something and the team manager passes this up and nothing’s done at the top, the governing body chooses to ignore the complaint, 3 weeks later your dead. Everyone around you has to accept it was an accident and nothing could be done about it OR look at the problem, asses the likely outcomes then act on findings.

Arguing about cogs, sprockets brake levers spokes and the road surface have been categorised in the sports genetics since the dawn of the governing body and are widely accepted by most riders as a risk to yourself and others.

I think there will be a shift change once the relevant boxes have been ticked and papers shuffled. Until then this will probably rumble on much like the great wheel debate?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Quite an interesting article on how the UCI works using discs as the latest example…

The Disc Brake Fiasco

crazy-legs

Crazy-legs, so what you are saying is that you wouldn’t be bothered if you had stopped sharply and dabbed straddling your bike when the riders behind you who aren’t managing to slow down to a stop quite so well went into the back of you, wouldn’t you think that a disk hitting your calf could damage you?

I’d be more worried about 80+kg of bike and rider hitting me. It’s going to hurt. They might not hit me if they had disc brakes cos they’d be able to stop in time. 😉

Bikes have lots of sharp sticky outy bits – so do riders for that matter. Brake levers, bar ends, pedals, nose of saddle. Any of those bits going into a soft squishy person is going to hurt. Chances of being cut by a rotor are virtually zero (given how well the rotor is protected behind the rear triangle or the fork) and as for having my neck sliced by one as you suggest – frankly if I’m face down on my own or someone else’s wheel in a big pile up, I’m going to be in a bad way. 32 spinning bits of high tensioned wire slicing into me for a start!

I think you’re just talking bollocks for the sake of it TBH.

xyeti
    Free Member

OK, thats’s fine, I’m just amazed that you consider bikes to be so sooooo dangerous, i’m surprised you can throw a leg over without half killing yourself on the deathly implements, And the Tarmac being so hard must play havoc with you.

I think most of what you put is Bollocks quite frankly but then again i haven’t got Disks on a road bike so i’m not bothered in trying to convince everyone else that i made the right purchase.

Easiest solution to the whole debacle would be to enforce Alu rims OR alu tracks on Carbon rims then the scary prospect of riding such a dangerous implement might go away?

Accidents can and do happen, freak accidents are exactly that you cant replicate them in your garage with LYCRA and an old work bench, pretending everythings fine and that you didnt hurt yourself so the Pro Peleton is wrong and Lying, Good Work.

Northwind

sputnik – Member

The biggest knee jerk reaction is by all the disk brake equipped road bike owners.

It’s hard to see how they’re knee jerking at all. Meanwhile the UCI just banned discs because of 2 imaginary accidents. If you’re going to ban things for imaginary reasons, why not make it fun? Like how they contine with the minimum weight rules to stop tiny dragons flying off with people’s bikes.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Meanwhile the UCI just banned discs because of 2 imaginary accidents.

A trial was being conducted. The trial has been put on hold pending an investigation. The UCI have not “just banned discs”.

The only people really impacted by the trial being put on hold are World Tour teams, who don’t really want it, and manufacturers, who do want it to leverage marketing.

The rest of us (other than French sportifists) are free to ride whatever we want 🙂

crazy-legs

I’m just amazed that you consider bikes to be so sooooo dangerous, i’m surprised you can throw a leg over without half killing yourself on the deathly implements

That’s my point though, I don’t consider bikes to be dangerous nor do I half kill myself on any bits of them so I’m really failing to see how removing two rim brakes and adding two disc brakes is going to make the blindest bit of difference safety wise.

Other than being able to stop more reliably.

xyeti
    Free Member

So what about the hard Tarmc, “GNARMAC” if you like, 32 deadly spokes, bar ends, brake levers and saddle noses that you mentioned earlier? you sound like a man on the edge to be honest,

And how has a picture from a pro rider from a Hospital bed been construed as Imaginary? who makes up this shit? the same people who still think motors weren’t used in frames i bet.

Theres a good chance that concluding a review and once the manufacturers pump more money in some people will look at it through slightly different coloured spectacles and there will be a change in attitude towards heavier bikes and slower wheel changes. Once all the teams are running them then everyones wheel changes will be as slow so the playing field will be levelled.

All this bollocks about brakes when all the Pro’s want to do is go faster,

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m really failing to see how removing two rim brakes and adding two disc brakes is going to make the blindest bit of difference safety wise.

In the context of a pro peloton, the disc brake trial is meant to establish whether it makes the blindest bit of difference safety wise. There’s been a reported incident. The trial has been put on hold while that incident is being investigated. Sounds a pretty reasonable course of action.

It seems knee jerk but I think the French spotifists have taken quite a reasonable stance. If in the unlikely event that an accident was to occur you can bet that, given the current climate, questions would be asked and there would be legal action.

simondbarnes

How has a picture from a pro rider from a Hospital bed been constued as Imaginary?

Well given that no riders from either of the 2 teams racing with disc brake equipped bikes in the race recall any incident with the rider in question…

xyeti
    Free Member

So it’s make up then on his leg? Cosmetic’s Ah i see…….. I thought he had claimed it was real and not Imaginary.

simondbarnes

So it’s make up then on his leg?

Nope, it’s a nasty gash but the general consensus is that it had absolutely **** all to do with contact with a disc rotor.

xyeti
    Free Member

But that’s why the Trial has been halted i thought, As mrblobby said above, I didnt think it was imaginary and the letter which he wrote i also believe to be real.

Under such a serious allegation what did people expect to happen? Surely investigating this they have the relevant info and experience to find out what actually happened, i mean it’s not like they have a track record on keeping shit covered up is it?

Northwind

xyeti – Member

I thought he had claimed it was real and not Imaginary.

That’s the thing, when you imagine things.

I don’t think he’s lying btw, I just think he’s wrong. He admits himself he wasn’t aware of the injury at the time, so he’s retconned the entire incident in a way that makes sense to him, but without recourse to facts. And he’s tied it into the other incident which has now been proven to have nothing to do with discs, which demonstrates how reliable his judgement is. It’s a shame really, he’s had a pretty traumatic experience and it’s understandable why he’s gone off on one.

xyeti
    Free Member

Baring in mind though one of the few people he spoke to directly after his crash was the other Injured party sat in the back of the Ambulance both recounting what happened, its hardly surprising he’s confused.

Dont forget its his job to stay out there so if he’s seen an oportunity to aportion blame………. I mean i would if i thought “Sheeeeet i **** up there” Ooooooh what happened to your leg,

I think i caught it on a rotor when i piled into the back of that tit,

AHHHHH ! I think thats how i did mine…….. SNAP!

njee20
    Free Member

So now you’re agreeing that it probably wasn’t anything to do with rotors? As it’s been as good as confirmed that the other person’s injuries definitely weren’t rotor inflicted…

xyeti
    Free Member

NO, What i’m saying is this, I CAN SSEE BOTH SIDES. But until an investigation takes place.
    Allegations have been made, a written letter has been submitted. I’m of the opinion that face planting into an upturned bike ‘Unlikely” i know or a rider running straight into another may be unlikely it may also be likely.
    However
    Prior to this concerns were raised about Motor Cycles, A Cyclist died.

These concerns have to be taken as seriously as a Golfer saying “Seriously…… you want me to go out in a thunder storm and tee off” then getting struck by lightning, or a butcher saying i think that meat slicer is dangerous without the guard fitted and then loosing a finger.

It’s these guys job so it has to be taken seriously, i didn’t for one minute think it was make up and i cast my own aspertions and tried to picture what might have happened on Monday when i saw the story break. I do know they shared the same ambulance. They prob swapped stories and IF he was thinking how the F did this happen he may well have found an answer?

i also saw my mate get mugged and his face slashed from his chin to his temple and down his ear onto his neck neding 300 stitches, he didnt know he’d been cut. so baring in mind he’d got a couple of hundred KM’s in his legs i doubt feeling that would have registered straight away. I’m awaiting the outcome.

Northwind

xyeti – Member

Baring in mind though one of the few people he spoke to directly after his crash was the other Injured party sat in the back of the Ambulance both recounting what happened, its hardly surprising he’s confused.

Absolutely. But that’s exactly why it’s no basis for the UCI to take action. You run a trial to collect evidence.

xyeti
    Free Member

I’m still standing by the fact that i dont think they are needed on road bikes though. However using Cork Pads on plastic rims is just as stupid.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m still standing by the fact that i dont think they are needed on road bikes though.

Nor were;
    Pneumatic tyres
    QR wheels
    Gears
    Cable, rather than rod, operated brakes
    Aero spokes
    Aero in general
    Electric shifting
    Clipless pedals
    Internal cable routing
    Helmets
    Lycra
    Ratchet, velcro, Boa etc shoe systems
    Bike computers
    Power meters
    Team cars
    Etc, etc, etc.

None of these were actually needed. They were all part of this crazy thing called progress.

All that is needed, really, is this;

Mais, en bref…. Vous êtes des assassins!

(Hat to anyone who knows the bike by the way.)

xyeti
    Free Member

Northwind, Yes i suppose?

But i’d imagine they wanted a STOP on the trial with immeiate effect after the accident “Just in case” with a view to a descision being made after collating their evidence. Disk brakes will make a re introduction but i think the first findings with heat dissipation will factor massively in the frame design and materials where it is attached to the frame.

I take it theres No footage of this incident then?

imnotverygood

I still struggle to see why discs represent such a risk, but bladed spokes, for example, are perfectly OK.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

But i’d imagine they wanted a STOP on the trial with immeiate effect after the accident “Just in case” with a view to a descision being made after collating their evidence. D

Why didn’t they STOP motorbikes after the recent horrors?
    Why didn’t they STOP media and team cars after this…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 310 total)

The topic ‘The road disk debacle continues – banned from French Sportives’ is closed to new replies.