Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • The origins of Christmas…
  • Drac

Isn’t it a kind of animal?

pipm1
    Free Member

Cougar

Han summer solstice.

And his partner, Jewbacca?

I’m lead to believe (by the Film Snatch) that the ‘virgin’ part of the Virgin Mary meant she was unmarried, not well… the obvious.

Means “pure,” dunnit?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Is a bunch of sects even today. But most of them are from funny countries with weird names so we can forget about them.

Aye, fair point, after all in the UK christianity is a totally united monolith

To be fair I think Molgrips was a victim of autocorrect and that should have read as ‘counties’. Although as a Welshman I’d still expect him to do a better job of A’ Ghàidhealtachd than most.

molgrips
    Free Member

No I was thinking of things like Coptic Christians, Ethiopian Orthodox and other stuff people rarely think about when talking about Christianity.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Like Scottish Episopal Church (Anglicans), Free Church of Scotland, United Free Church of Scotland, Church of the Nazerene, Baptist Church, Gospel Church, Church of the Bretheren, Jehovas Witnesses and Mormons? All of which have congregations within a few miles of me.

As Nobeer said the UK is hardly representative of a united church.

And it was a joke, hope no wee free teuchters were offended.

tjagain

All agrarian societies have midwinter feasts. It means the days are getting longer, your family / tribe have made it thru the worst of another winter. Time to celebrate on stored food.

Christianity merely ( as was their usual practice) co opted the pre christian festivals and put their own on top but using the same times.

dudeofdoom

yep Nothing like a good rebranding exercise.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘The origins of Christmas…’ is closed to new replies.