Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • The greatest sound in cycling?
  • MrPottatoHead

Did my first triathlon today, which was my first experience of getting up close and personal with TT bikes. It was worth getting overtaken just to listen to the noise of those wheels whomping along. The speed the quick guys were going was phenomenal.

Whats your favourite noise in cycling?

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Those 2-3 seconds of silence after hitting a jump on a flowing trail before the tyres land and reconnect with the ground

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

The sound of my 8 year-old son laughing his head off as he picks up speed going downhill.

transporter13
    Free Member

Yup..genesis has it..end of thread

MrOvershoot

genesiscore502011 – Member

Those 2-3 seconds of silence after hitting a jump on a flowing trail before the tyres land and reconnect with the ground

Change that to 0.2 seconds for me “gravity & big bloke” does mean I stick to the ground well 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

The sound of triathletes mangling gear changes just before the dull thud of their bodies hitting tarmac 😐

Or this

mdavids
    Free Member

Or this

That is a great vid. On a similar theme I always liked this from NWD10

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Is a tie between the OP’s (I was gonna post “the growl of a deep section wheel” on the basis of the title without seeing the post) and the silence of getting airborne. Especially if you ride a fat bike or noisy super tacky tyres.

AlexSimon

The sound of a nicely made gate catch dropping when you swing the gate closed.

The opposite is when you come to open one and it just drops to the ground with a clang.

bigh
    Free Member

Always been the song of a skylark for me, it’s mesmerizing and usually means the climb is done 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

When you stop on the moors & all you can hear are Curlews.

Coyote
    Free Member

Rear cassette engaging, loud clicking from a freewheel.

Sound of tyres over loose gravel.

Also what genesis said although my experience usually has the sound of wheels washing out, the thud of a 13 stone rider hitting the deck and gentle whimpering following it.

pennine
    Free Member

Just back from riding in the Yorkshire Dales. My first thought, before opening the thread, was the call of the skylark & curlews we had listened to on the moors between Ribblesdale & Littondale.

Glad to read bigh & Essel are of the same opinion 🙂

scaredypants

the hiss of road tyres on really smooth roads

the buzz of mtb tyres in a compression

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The silence that envelops you when enpbraced by a tailwind.

Drac

The rattling of Lakeland slate under you wheels.

binners

The sound of the door opening on the pie fridge, behind the bar of the Church, after a Prestwich Monday Night Pub Ride 🙂

binners

The satisfying ‘click’ of an SPD cleat engaging as you head off out!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Or 10 minutes into the ride if you’re Matt Stephens.

rascal
    Free Member

The rattling of Lakeland slate under you wheels.

This and a Hope hub.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Always been the song of a skylark[b] the whomph, whomph, screeearch of the windfarm [/b]for me, it’s mesmerizing and usually means the climb is done

chakaping
    Free Member

The scrabbling noise Mtb tyres make when you get both drifting at once in a corner.

Made all the sweeter for me by its rarity.

martinhutch

The sound my bike makes when nothing on it is squeaking or rattling. Made all the sweeter by its rarity.

mattyfez

Hope hubs..There’s one long road decent I do on a favourite loop, and once you’ve spun out the top gear on the mtb, listening to the pitch of the sound go higher as you consider whether to put the brakes on to shave some speed off or not.

Or up on the moors where the only sound apart from you is the sound of the wind, or the odd sheep.

bensales
    Free Member

The sound of a proper elite peloton.

crazy-legs

The whirring sound you get when braking on some nicely warmed up rotors on a really fast road descent.

The tiny electronic zzt of a Di2 front mech self adjusting.

The sound of nature when you properly get away from it all, stop and all you can hear is a cuckoo or the curlews or an owl.

The sound of a proper elite peloton.

I’ll add to that one, the sound of a true pro DH rider on the limit during a run – it’s a soft rumble then a whoosh as they go past. Compare that to an amateur where everything is creaking and clattering and banging and squeaking.

gotbike
    Free Member

For me, the combination of tires scrabbling when hitting a berm fast with that hope sound. That or the unclipping from spds followed by locking the rear wheel when drifting a corner properly (far too rare an occurence for me…)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vowGRI9naPM[/video]

mrlebowski
    Free Member

The on/off clacking of a Hope rear hub being ragged through twisty single track for me.

It always seems to urge me on: “Go on! Faster! FASTER!”

steve_b77
    Free Member

The cannons going off as you top ten or KOM a segment :mrgreen:

In reality my little lad laughing like a minion as he rags his bike round the woods

deadkenny
    Free Member

Best – The sound of nature and slight rolling noise when riding a stealth bike.

Worst – Hope hubs, hate them 👿 (and likewise other equally demented bee sounding hubs).

Somewhere in between – the sound of fat bike wheels rolling 😀

+1 the sound (and feel) or being in the air.

And anyone who wears headphones on the trail… WTF? May as well sit at home if you have to listen to music to enjoy being outside 😛

Northwind

People cheering you down a race track even though you’re just some random fanny.

Standing at the bottom of the wall at fort william wall, it’s not just the sound, the ground shakes. I can’t spell the noise, it’s like a really long bass drum hit

matts
    Free Member

The sound of laboured breathing as I top out on the 10th interval.

eddie11
    Free Member

Broken plate noise of a slatey descent or as you’ve said the whurv whurv of deep section wheels.

butcher

The best sound in cycling, is when cruising downhill and your speed perfectly matches the tailwind. Everything falling silent. Except the sound of the tires.

Best on a smooth, grassy surface.

mintimperial

The sudden rumble-silence-rumble when your wheels leave the ground and then touch back down again.

I’ll add to that one, the sound of a true pro DH rider on the limit during a run – it’s a soft rumble then a whoosh as they go past. Compare that to an amateur where everything is creaking and clattering and banging and squeaking.

I dunno, some of the fast lads at Fort William last week sounded like someone kicking a dishwasher downstairs when they were in the rock gardens, it always surprises me how loud they can be hitting stuff and still keep flying.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

The sound of setting your bike up perfectly. No squeaks or creaks or chains trying to locate on cogs.

That and the sound of one of the knoblies on your tyre pinging when you hit a rock or root on a techy bit.

THe noise of riding the North Shore with the xylophone-esque rumble from the cedar slats.

wordnumb
    Free Member

The sound of the post-ride pint glass being placed in front of the thirsty muddy/dusty rider.

Daffy

Drac – that’s superb! You’re absolutely right, there’s nothing quite like it. It’s been a while (2 years), but what you wrote takes me right back and brings a smile with the memory.

stevied
    Free Member

Used to really like the sound of a Hope hub, now the silence of my DT350’s is fantastic. Rolling through some lovely singletrack and just gearing the tyres grip and the faintest buzz from the back end.
    Also love hearing my Formula 2-piece rotors pinging after a big decent.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘The greatest sound in cycling?’ is closed to new replies.