Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • The Extinction Rebellion Actions In London (and Worldwide)
  • mattjg
    Free Member

I think you’ll all have seen info on the media about this now.

Before anyone hastens to judge them as a bunch of selfish green whackos, I encourage you to spare some time to watch their video explaining what they’re doing and why.

If you think we’re not heading to big time climate change and breakdown, don’t take my word for it, check it with NASA https://climate.nasa.gov/

A primer on where it could lead is here: http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html – it’s a lot worse than loosing a few beaches to rising sea level.

Scepticism is fine too, but bear in mind a 1 vs 1 debate is not “balanced” – there is strong scientific consensus this is happening so a balanced debate would be 50 scientists to 1 sceptic.

Hope that helps give some context. Dig deeper and do your own research. Might be the biggest thing, ever …

toby1

I saw a bunch in a local cafe the other day after an ‘action’ every one of them with a single use coffee cup with a plastic lid, even though they were drinking it indoors. For people worried about the environment their actions didn’t look all that connected to me. I did bring this up with the very over proud guy in the queue behind me.

brakes
    Free Member

I also saw them walking past my office window and they were breathing precious oxygen. Hypocrites.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@binners have you had your mash addiction checked recently?

MoreCashThanDash

Currently being lectured on Facebook by a couple of their supporters who are trying to drain to me why vandalism and criminal damage are necessary parts of the protest action.

I’m not convinced yet.

mattjg
    Free Member

Toby what level of disconnection of modern society would suffice for you to respect them?

Living in a handwoven teepee in a Welsh forest, organising on a (vegan skinned) bongo network and walking 200 miles to a protest?

Switching to sturdy coffee cups and paper straws ain’t going to save the situation.

funkmasterp

FFS he’s got a goatee, the non-beard of the beard world. I’m not even listening to what he has to say.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Can’t express how much more pleasant than usual my commutes across Waterloo bridge were today. And how grim the other bits felt by comparison.

Direct action gets more results than peaceful protest (Iraq war, Brexit march?).

CountZero

Direct action gets more results than peaceful protest (Iraq war, Brexit march?).

Through criminal damage to property, and shutting down an environmentally friendly public transport system? Yeah, that’ll really get the public on-side!
    /s

imnotverygood

The problem is that if the rest of society is held to ransom by a small number of fanatics it tends to encourage others. I imagine a lot of people who support this lot wqould be less impressed if ‘Leave means Leave’ or ‘don’t teach my kids about gay people’ decided to adopt the same tactics.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Damon Hill in another 20 years time.

nickc

Yeah, that’ll really get the public on-side!

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn’t matter that some of the public don’t like that their commute is slightly disrupted*. We are the generation that should have done something. The Generation that will do something are already skipping school…

* plus of course, it’s not as if their commutes are perfectly lovely every other day is it, that buses and trains don’t get cancelled, or the road isn’t dug up…? bunch of hypocrites.

spursn17
    Free Member

Can’t express how much more pleasant than usual my commutes across Waterloo bridge were today. And how grim the other bits felt by comparison.

Same for me yesterday, Bayswater, Marble Arch, and Oxford Street were so relaxing without the cabs and vans trying to squeeze me out. Hope it continues!

kayla1
    Free Member

Before anyone hastens to judge them as a bunch of selfish green whackos

Not me, I think they’re **** awesome. I’m looking for stuff in County Durham now.

the-muffin-man

Yep – those weren’t completely ignored by all politicians!

The only direct action march I can think off that worked is the one against the Poll Tax.

kayla1
    Free Member

The problem is that if the rest of society is held to ransom by a small number of fanatics it tends to encourage others. I imagine a lot of people who support this lot wqould be less impressed if ‘Leave means Leave’ or ‘don’t teach my kids about gay people’ decided to adopt the same tactics.

You could also make the case that they’re not fanatics at all and those causing the problems by endlessly consuming and destroying and fighting are the real lunatics.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In case anyone was wondering what Tim Nice-but-Dim was up to these days…

😀

craig5

They are all pissing in the wind. nice idea though

DezB
    Free Member

‘ang about – he said April 15th..! Does that mean we’re all saved?

Flaperon

and were remanded in custody until 16 May.

Seems a bit excessive for glueing yourself to a train.

cookeaa

The whole thing has caught my attention and I applaud them for raising climate change up the agenda.

If nothing else, Brexit has taught us its not the importance or urgency of the issue, people are too busy in their bubbles, its how loud and how often people shout about it. If you want change you need to force the point until its less bother for us sheeple to simply give in and comply.

In a society that’s all about consumption, reflecting your status and success in the things that you buy; I have to admire people who are willing to buck that trend and (to whatever extent) try to live their values rather than blindly conform.

I can’t say I’m on the same wavelength really, my own existence is too tied up with modern consumer nonsense and while I recognise it and resist to some extent, I can’t help but think it’s an easy trap to fall into, cycles of debt and consumption, having more than enough but still aspiring to have more, while others aspire to what I already have… There’s an obvious pattern and it isn’t actually making people happy.

So a few people had a disrupted commute, they’ll live. Nobody was really hurt. It’s a topic worth drawing attention to I’d rather we all started to take it more seriously… I hope they don’t stop here.

DrJ

Part of a pattern of suppression of dissent. See also the sentences handed down to the anti-frackers who peacefully chained themselves to a lorry.

handybar
    Free Member

I don’t know what it is like now but my cousin got involved with eco-warriers back in the early 90s. Underneath the happy exterior there is quite a dark underbelly, as many people are attracted to it for the same reasons cults flourish. There was a lot of drug taking and surprisingly, quite a lot of violence, with the girls often getting wacked around by the self-designated alpha-male, who would be sleeping with a number of them.
    This however looks a lot different – a wider range of people, who seem to have lives outside of eco-activism, I’d sign up if I could afford it! Looks like a fun time.

DrJ

I was on Waterloo Bridge today and saw no drug taking or violence of any sort

mt
    Free Member

Well that’s no car rides to bike park wales for us eco warrior mountain bikers!

Its not what the protesters are doing, what are you doing to prevent the climate change destruction that is happening?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

As I country I don’t think we are too bad at being green, especially compared to China/Russia/USA, maybe they should go to those countries and start gluing themselves to trains.

Oh but they won’t because here they’ll get tutted at by the police and a small fine whereas in China or Russia I expect the police will be removing them from the trains with an angle grinder or machete before throwing them in prison for years!

They only way we’ll save the planet is by at least a 50% population cull.

Kuco

I agree, way too many people on the planet. Need a good world war or a global pandemic to thin the populous out.

sani2c
    Free Member

“I will not not stand..”, and then he stood up and left.

muddy@rseguy

Part of a pattern of suppression of dissent.

er, going out on a limb here as I’m not a legal expert but this might just possibly have something to do with proudly and openly doing something that is very well known to be illegal (dangerous, stupid etc) in public, being caught red-handed and then pleading not guilty at the first court appearance…Now, as far as I know, regardless of how valid you may feel your reason is (or indeed may well be) , I would guess that in that instance the judiciary would not be too impressed and would respond accordingly.

taxi25
    Free Member

They only way we’ll save the planet is by at least a 50% population cull.

100% I’ve not heard a single thing that could be realisticly achieved on a global basis from these protesters. There all just vacuous, childish, self indulgent exhibitionists.
    Climate change is a done deal, that doesn’t mean reasonable actions shouldn’t be encouraged, but the level of authoritarian control needed to enact some “green” policies will never happen in a modern democracy.

mattjg
    Free Member

pleased to see the tread got some traction

this is fun

Moe

She is the mother and lover
    The place you call home
    She’s the land you grew up in
    the beach full of stones
    The eyes you see out of
    And where you were born
    She is nowhere and no-one
    The hush before storms.

She’s the love and the light
    The day and the night
    She’s a violent ocean of darkest delights
    She’s a whisper of grass
    And a forest on fire
    She is the desert getting drier and drier.

In the heavens you see her
    The moon shining bright
    The stars and the spaceships on orbiting flights
    The space between nothing
    The plenum, the soup
    The sound of white static playing on loop.

She’s in that smile
    And why children beguile
    She’s your fury
    His rage
    She’s our making
    Our downfall
    The keeper of age.

Written by my 31yo daughter who after spending three years in Argentina, then 18 months or so in Denmark working for Greenpeace is now vanning it in Portugal and looking for a property for her and her partner to settle to and become self sufficient ….. these are the people that will change things. We didn’t know it at the time but we were recycling when she was a toddler and ultimately it may have been pretty futile in itself but if it was contributory to my daughter being the woman she is now it was more than worth it!

The other day I doubted myself for mistakenly putting my pea sized bit of foil from a KitKat in the trash and recovering it to put it in the recycling …… minuscule but then thought imagine if every piece of foil from every KitKat was recycled? how much is that?

taxi25
    Free Member

Got to love it when celebs are saving the planet 🙄🙄

Officers surrounded a pink boat in Oxford Circus as actress Dame Emma Thompson told activists her generation had “failed young people”.

More than 570 people have been arrested at protests this week in Oxford Circus, Parliament Square and Waterloo Bridge

Dame Emma joined the protests after flying from Los Angeles on Thursday.

From another BBC article.

Flying would have to be restricted. Severely.

“You could have an air flight every couple of years, but we can’t allow the world to continue flying for hen parties in New York every couple of weeks,” said Paul Allen who co-ordinates the Zero Carbon Britain research project.

“The numbers don’t stack up. We can’t do this, we have to be honest with ourselves.”

Particularly love the “we” can’t allow the world to continue flying, unless you Emma Thompson ofcourse 😎😎

csb

Moe, I’m unclear how your daughter is saving the planet by escaping to somewhere that has massive sustainability problems (water shortages) to live exclusively on a patch of land. Cities are here to stay, we haven’t got the space for people to self sustain at a scale that will make the difference. Cities done right allow problems to be solved at a scale that will make a difference, transport, logistics, service provision.

zanelad
    Free Member

I’m off to buy a tin of pink poster paint, poor it over my car and park anywhere for as long as I like free of charge.

Where’s the water cannons that Boris bought? Clean the streets and give those crusty ****
    a good wash too. Win win.

csb

We should be thanking these people for doing what they are, much like we now celebrate the efforts of Rosa Parkes and Emmeline Pankhurst. Back then the establishment branded them as dangerous and unreasonable.

psling
    Free Member

The other day I doubted myself for mistakenly putting my pea sized bit of foil from a KitKat in the trash and recovering it to put it in the recycling …… minuscule but then thought imagine if every piece of foil from every KitKat was recycled? how much is that?

You were eating a KitKat, a Nestle KitKat? Walks away shaking head.
    Think how much more ecologically sound you could be if you forego eating a KitKat in the first place. We’re all on the scale of hypocrisy somewhere, aren’t we.

One thing I don’t understand is that when people superglue themselves to the pavement or a window somewhere, why do we have to go to the bother of freeing them just to arrest them? Why not leave them there for a few days in a pool of their own excrement? That would leave a much more powerful message.

mattjg
    Free Member

Particularly love the “we” can’t allow the world to continue flying, unless you Emma Thompson ofcourse 😎😎

what do you want her to do, swim?

I find myself hypocritically typing this on a computer.

I shall cease immediately and whistle in the message using Morse Code.

Drac

The edginess on here is sooo controversial.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘The Extinction Rebellion Actions In London (and Worldwide)’ is closed to new replies.