Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 134 total)
  • The Donald just went full Trump
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

But it is okay, lets just ban cars instead as they kill more people.

I suggested driving at 10mph also ?

You really need to break down the gun deaths by type if you want to make a comparison plus appreciate the pro gun lobby will point to their constitutional right to bear arms. Written cinsititutioms can be good or bad things and in this case I think its a bad thing but the fact is its written and many people think making guns harder to hold legally will endanger their safety.

EDIT 60% US gun deaths are suicides,

Back on Trump he is emphasising the whole sentence he used which was the ban should exist u til such a time as “the government can figure out whats going on”. He also noted tjere are parts kf Paris where the police generally don’t go as its unsafe, in the he’s quite correct.

wwaswas

It’s worth pointing out that a plenty of guns in the US are bought for recreational purposes i.e. hunting.

I specifically said handguns to avoid that being used as a counter 😉

non-handguns with magazines that hold more than 10 bullets and all handguns are not for hunting.

Have you noticed the US media has started talking about ‘long rifles’ following mass shootings? It’s to put people in mind of hunting weapons rather than the automatic assault rifles that are usually being used. It frightens the recreational gun owners and keeps them inline with the NRA line that all guns are good guns.

franksinatra

He is at it again!

We have places in London and other places that are so radicalised that the police are afraid for their own lives.

euain

Whatever you think of Boris, his response is worth a quote:

“Crime has been falling steadily both in London and in New York – the only reason I wouldn’t go to some parts of New York is the real risk of meeting Donald Trump,”

GrahamS

You really need to break down the gun deaths by type if you want to make a comparison

As long as you also break down the terrorist deaths by type too (domestic, foreign, Muslamic State, other etc)

GunPolicy.org has a breakdown of the firearms deaths.

e.g. in 2013 that total of 33,636 apparently consisted of:

21,175 Suicides (62.9%)
    11,208 Gun homicides (33.3%)
    505 Unintentional (1.5%)
    281 Undetermined (0.8%)

which doesn’t quite add up but there you go – they are not my figures.

.. the pro gun lobby will point to their constitutional right to bear arms. Written cinsititutioms can be good or bad things…

What I do find fascinating is that the Second Amendment is treated as some sacred text that must never be challenged, as if to do so would be deeply un-American.

Yet in this thread we have quotes from both Hilary Clinton and Donald Trumpet just casually dismissing the First Amendment rights as “freedom of speech etc”.

Weird.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

plus appreciate the pro gun lobby will point to their constitutional right to bear arms.

That’s bit should be filed away with the other bits of old crap like being able to shoot the Welsh with a longbow etc. It has no need in a modern democratic world.
    The issues highlight the huge problems the US faces. A country that feels like it’s at war with an unknown enemy while ignoring the fact it can hardly look after its own citizens basic needs.
    Trump is using these things to boost his flagging poles, despite what anyone claims he is not well ahead, last republican one had him 6% behind in the first major primary state and they consistently are behind Clinton whichever idiot leads at the time.

kimbers

tjere are parts kf Paris where the police generally don’t go as its unsafe, in the he’s quite correct.

I smell a Jambafact* !

*Sorry for the add hom but like the Edinburgh Defence or Surfamtt’s awesomeness its part of the STW vernacular

LHS
    Free Member

Oh great the whole gun debate from people who have no idea what they are talking about

The whole car thing is thrown out by right wing NRA nut jobs every time they start losing the argument, then they point to things like people drown in swimming pools so lets ban them.

Cars – primary use transport
    Swimming pools – primary use – exercise
    Guns primary use?

Do not let the NRA nuts convince you of the hunting link either. Speak to ANY real hunter and they will call complete BS on the fact that you need a semi-automatic weapon for hunting, anything with a cartridge that holds more than 5 bullets is not for hunting. The guns used in San Bernadino held 30! Sole purpose for that gun is to kill lots of people at a time. I have been hunting with plenty of republican Hillary haters and let me tell you, none of them support the sale of assault rifles to the general public. It is only the crazy religious nutjobs from the bible belt who pedal that diatribe.

Rant over (for now)

konabunny
    Free Member

Back on Trump he is emphasising the whole sentence he used which was the ban should exist u til such a time as “the government can figure out whats going on”.

That’s not what he said.

Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what is going on. According to Pew Research, among others, there is a great hatred toward Americans by large segments of the Muslim population. More recently, a poll from the Center for Security Policy released data showing “25% of those polled agreed that violence against Americans here in the United States is justified as a part of the global jihad” and 51% of those polled, “agreed that Muslims in America should have the choice of being governed according to Shariah.” Shariah authorizes such atrocities as murder against non-believers who won’t convert, beheadings and more unthinkable acts that pose great harm to Americans, especially women.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/donald-j.-trump-statement-on-preventing-muslim-immigration

He read the statement out verbatim including referring to himself in the third person.

Do you know what quotation marks are for? 😀

convert

I don’t really care about the existence of one nutter (Trump). In fact he is doing us a favour; if he gets as far as being nominated and drawing a reasonable vote we can be justified in all our stereotypical opinions of the yanks being a uncultured, uneducated waste of (massively stretched) skin, and all die happy.

GrahamS

a poll from the Center for Security Policy released data showing “25% of those polled agreed that violence against Americans here in the United States is justified as a part of the global jihad”

I wonder if that was a similar poll to The Sun one:

(which was of course complete bollocks)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have we done the response from Boris to Trump’s comments on London as yet? If not, we should. It’s glorious.

“Donald Trump’s ill-informed comments are complete and utter nonsense. As a city where more than 300 languages are spoken, London has a proud history of tolerance and diversity and to suggest there are areas where police officers cannot go because of radicalisation is simply ridiculous. I would welcome the opportunity to show Mr Trump first hand some of the excellent work our police officers do every day in local neighbourhoods throughout our city. Crime has been falling steadily both in London and in New York – and the only reason I wouldn’t go to some parts of New York is the real risk of meeting Donald Trump.”

GrahamS
    aracer
    Free Member

Yay, that’s not quite 4 times as many deaths in a single year as from terrorism in the 14 years since (and including) 911.

molgrips
    Free Member

Handguns do have a place in hunting: sometimes when you would a deer you want to be able to finish it off quickly and easily.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Strangely the hunters in the UK manage finr, but unfortunately the number of people who can’t be trusted do tend to ruin it.

LHS
    Free Member

Handguns do have a place in hunting: sometimes when you would a deer you want to be able to finish it off quickly and easily.

And tell me how you do that quickly with a handgun?

Have you ever been hunting?

wwaswas

Could you not just stand 2ft further away and use the rifle?

LHS
    Free Member

Most handguns will just bounce off a deer. Also most hunting permits forbid the carry of handguns apart from recently in some US states where you are allowed to carry them in case the Russians invade whilst you are out hunting!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And tell me how you do that quickly with a handgun?

Have you ever been hunting?

Quite. No need for a handgun in the UK, unless for target shooting.

On the other hand, I know folks who hunt and ski in the back country of Montana. They own and carry handguns. Big ones. Bears are a little scarier than deer, though.

LHS
    Free Member

Bears are a little scarier than deer, though.

Shouting at a bear will be about as effective as a handgun. The handgun in that situation will just to be scare if off.

I know some ex-forces guys who carry flash-bangs with them for bears. Something to really scare the shit out of them

molgrips
    Free Member

My father in law hunts. He is a sensible bloke. He has a Colt 45. When I asked him what it was for, that is what he told me. I don’t think it’s difficult to imagine finding your wounded deer and wanting to put it out of its misery. Seems like a Colt 45 would be quite handy; having used the thing I can’t imagine it bouncing off a deer’s skull!

LHS
    Free Member

He should be a better shot. 😉

aracer
    Free Member

I’m almost wishing him to win – to see how she backtracks, I’m not expecting her to actually do it, and nor – for all their faults – would I wish her on them.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s difficult to imagine finding your wounded deer and wanting to put it out of its misery.

The rifle with which he missed the first time would be more effective. No need to carry a handgun in that situation.

nealglover
    Free Member

My father in law hunts. He is a sensible bloke. He has a Colt 45. When I asked him what it was for, that is what he told me. I don’t think it’s difficult to imagine finding your wounded deer and wanting to put it out of its misery. Seems like a Colt 45 would be quite handy; having used the thing I can’t imagine it bouncing off a deer’s skull!

Whatever excuse it was that he gave when you asked him why, the real answer was…

“Because I really like guns, and a Colt 45 just sounds really cool !”

But he said the other stuff because he didn’t want to sound like an over excited 9 year old.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Kimbers Paris – was a direct quote from the wife immediately she saw this reported on Sky, she’s said it many times previously too. All French police are armed but she says there are certain areas they stay out of or only enter with the fully armed riot police.

Tremendous line from Boris 🙂

@mike you wont be able to change the American constitution by saying its “too old fashioned” I would be in favour of gun control in the US but its ferroiosuly difficult to decide what to do. If you change the law you’ll not address illegally held weapons. There are 310 million guns in the US, its a big big problem to try and solve and there is no consensus anyway

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

That pillock (Trump) is the opposite side of dangerous to Corbyn. (pillock)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

GrahamS

you wont be able to change the American constitution by saying its “too old fashioned”

And yet here is Trump proposing violations to First Amendment and all his Second Amendment loving supporters are applauding them.

Weird.

nealglover
    Free Member

Paris – was a direct quote from the wife immediately she saw this reported on Sky, she’s said it many times previously too. All French police are armed but she says there are certain areas they stay out of or only enter with the fully armed riot police.

Does she work for Fox News ?

http://www.thelocal.fr/20150121/the-ten-real-no-go-zones-in-paris

http://www.thelocal.fr/20150119/fox-news-sorry-for-claims-of-totally-muslim-no-go-zones

crankboy
    Free Member

My post above is a link to an article about Paris and its no go zones as reliable a source as any other I guess.

jambalaya
    Free Member

And yet here is Trump proposing violations to First Amendmen

His Muslim proposal doesn’t violate the First Amendment, its a border control “policy” – no ?

crankboy
    Free Member

Jam don’t you follow the news ? He was talking about restricting freedom of speach !

LHS
    Free Member

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have missed that one @crankboy

I think its a fairly widely held view @neal – Saint-Denis is where the big shoot out was, chez Jawad 😀 On that count Trump was just saying what many French (certainly Parisiens) would

GrahamS

His Muslim proposal doesn’t violate the First Amendment, its a border control “policy” – no ?

Him and Clinton have both talked about removing freedom of speech. Which is First Amendment.

And I’m pretty sure that a law banning Muslims (even American citizens!) could be seen as violating the whole “no law shall impede the free exercise of religion” bit too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just goes to reinforce the fact that it’s only the land of the free for a very select few and only if you agree with them.

JoeG
    Free Member

This has a swear… 😆
    [video]https://youtu.be/VIIz1zGHJl8[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘The Donald just went full Trump’ is closed to new replies.