• This topic has 44 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by evh22.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • The Cycle Show
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Caught a little bit of this yesterday, seems like they still treat mtb as a niche activity and most things seem to revolve around silly bikes with drop bars and riders in Lycra.

As far as I can see bikes with drop bars account for about 5% of the bikes I see around my way, I’m sure this is similar across the country these days. Seems a shame the producers haven’t realised….

wwaswas

compared with recreational road riding mtb is a niche activity…

njee20
    Free Member

I’m sure this is similar across the country these days

I’d not say so. Not sure where the balance is, but no way in hell is it 95% MTBs (in the sense you mean).

pete68
    Free Member

I’d say only 5% of bikes aren’t road bikes that I see about. If I’m out on the mtb i rarely see more than a couple of others. Still a dull programme though, all chat and little action.

loddrik
    Free Member

I don’t mean mtb’s. Just not ‘road’ bikes with drop bars.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Way more than half the bikes I see are used as commuter / hack / town bikes. Compared to this recreational cycling of any sort is probably a bit of a niche activity.

MrSmith
    Free Member

MTB is a niche activity though, why do you think it isn’t?

convert

Of the people that think of themselves as a cyclist enough to watch a TV programme about bikes (as opposed to having a BSO in the shed), I’d say far more are road riders than mtbers at the moment. It would be interesting to know what percentage of £1000+ bikes sold in this country are mtb and road.

cookeaa

As far as I can see bikes with drop bars account for about 5% of the bikes I see around my way, I’m sure this is similar across the country these days. Seems a shame the producers haven’t realised….

Depends where you go I’d expect, in my local woods? ~99.999% MTBs, on the roads? probably 85% drop bared road and CX bikes…

And I see far more bikes in general on the roads than off, that (rather narrow, anecdotal) evidence tells me there are more people riding road bikes, in my area at least, YMMV…

I caught a bit of it last night, its not really improved from what I can tell, change of presenter (annoying) and location (Now in a studio made up to look like a cycling cafe/shop?) it really is just a bit of turd polishing, but I’m not really worried about the cycle shows road bias, they have to follow whatever is popular, I’m fully aware that I’m not their target audience.

What I can’t really understand though is why they still use a bloody fashion blogger (with no appreciable interest in or understanding of cycling) as a contributor… WTF has she got to do with anything? its still a bit “London-Centric” IMO…

Its still a lightweight show, aimed at the summer leisure cyclist. They won’t keep everyone happy, nor should they really try to, if you want to watch stuff about MTBs YouTube and PB are full of riding footage and interviews…

MTBing will continue to be a “Poor Cousin” to road biking, participation numbers can’t be anything like the same, but is that really a bad thing?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

As I said in the other thread, Jeff Brazier? Really?

And is it just me or is that presenter a bit creepy looking?

cookeaa

Jeff Brazier? Really?

Charadee bike rides innit, all the Z-listers are at it… I got up and did some shopping after a couple of minutes of him…

Unfortunately I tuned in just in time for James Cracknell to start on about his accident, followed by the Simon Richardson interview, the whole time my missus is sat there and I could feel her building the impression that cycling on roads is a deadly pastime (a mindset that is quite hard to get her out of)…

MrSmith
    Free Member

(Now in a studio made up to look like a cycling cafe/shop?)

No. its shot at Cadence performance in Crystal Palace. more room and less noise than Look Mum no hands

fd3chris
    Free Member

I think it is slowly improving over the earlier series.

onehundredthidiot

The mtb bit annoyed me. Anonymous piece of track, two locals on full sussers, presenter on 29″ hardtail wonder why he struggled on rough stuff. Told us nothing about riding in norn irn.
    I bet the “best” road climbs doesn’t make it any further north than Yorkshire.

Duffer
    Free Member

I think MTB is a niche activity, when compared to the new golf road cycling. That’s in no way a bad thing.

For what it’s worth, i think it’s enjoyable enough as light entertainment. I also really enjoyed the mix of guests (although i have no idea who that third guy is).

MrSmith
    Free Member

wonder why he struggled on rough stuff

maybe because he’s an ex British road race champion and not a mountain biker?

onehundredthidiot

Yes mrsmith he’d have still done better on a like machine.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

The whole program is a bit limp.

Northwind

Apparently you can watch the Adventure Show on 970 on sky, it’s on scottish terrestrial right now- just been covering the 4X at fort william, downhill next. And, er, some bits of an old man wandering around 😉

fd3chris
    Free Member

What bits of him exactly? 😉

pk13

Adventure show is much better. Last week’s cycle show was poor

isitafox
    Free Member

Everytime they ask on Facebook what people would like to see on the show I mention bike trials but never even get recognition of my comment. Someone pipes up about roadies and they’re straight on saying they’ll see what they can do.

DavidB
    Free Member

I tried to get them interested in the MTB ITT’s like Highland Trail, Cairngorms Loop …tumbleweed. But if I open a cafe in Bath where cyclists get espresso and a fisting they’d be down in a shot.

slowoldman

I don’t understand the us and them mentality re road v MTB. Many, many cyclists do both. I also wouldn’t mind betting it’s MTB which is actually the niche sport.

igm

I found it all a bit hipster for my taste.

I like road bikes, I like off road bikes, but very few people I know who cycle have perfectly coiffured hair – and I don’t trust the ones who do, they clear don’t own a bike helmet.

I switched it off.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

Apparently you can watch the Adventure Show on 970 on sky, it’s on scottish terrestrial right now- just been covering the 4X at fort william, downhill next. And, er, some bits of an old man wandering around

Ta for that.

Also available on iPlayer, gonna watch it now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04b6f7l/the-adventure-show-20142015-episode-2

rubberjohnny
    Free Member

Make my own flapjacks – pah !

vondally
    Free Member

a) who is the male presenter?

b)does he understand what was achieved in reaching the S Pole?

c)Poor Interview about a really fascinating expedition

d)Flapjack …yes

e)why Victoria P not more Annie Last??

Tweed love good

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

I quite like it tbh, its presenting cycling as a whole in a positive light and highlighting lots of fun little things that are going on. Its necessarily focused on road/charity/celebs as thats how its going to pull in an audience particularly given its slotted directly after the tour coverage.

chakaping
    Free Member

I quite enjoyed the previous series, but although I think the segments within it are getting better and more focused – I’m developing a strong aversion to the new presenter.

He’s a strange mixture of smarmy and cocky – seems to do his best to stop guests saying anything interesting.

monkeyboyjc

Complete load of tosh – but still series linked it…..

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Still very hit and miss – but the interview with Victoria Pendleton was very good, and I really, really want to go to Tweedlove! And I will be making some of those flapjack bars.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

presenter – bad – I mean, really, really irritating.

Rollapalooza – a good steal from the top gear concept.

boris bike up ventoux – liked that

pendleton interview – not bad

would have liked more new on whats going on in cycling – issues such as safety/access/race results.

Finally, does anyone think that the graphics bear an uncanny resemblance to Chain Reactions Cycles logo?

iainc

I was mesmirised in the Pendleton bit how straight she rode compared to the folk around her. A proper pro !

aracer
    Free Member

I did a survey in my garage and drop bars are definitely more popular.

thepodge
    Free Member

CRC pay for it, they got cheesed off with Wiggle getting loads of coverage over the tdf a couple of years back so bashed a cheap show out in record time

riddoch

What I can’t really understand though is why they still use a bloody fashion blogger (with no appreciable interest in or understanding of cycling) as a contributor… WTF has she got to do with anything? its still a bit “London-Centric” IMO…

Cookeaa that will be anna glowinski founder of cycling clothing company, member of MuleBarGirlsSigmaSport team who seems do a bit of everything including Enduro and road racing and pulls a better wheelie than I can . 😀

lightman
    Free Member

The Pendleton interview was good, but WTF was that annoying woman in yellow/green doing!
    Every time they zoomed out a bit, there she was with a stupid big grin on her face trying to squeeze into the shot!
    If she was not grinning behind her, she was squeezing herself between VP and the gutter trying to poke her stupid grinning face into the shot!!

chakaping
    Free Member

Cookeaa that will be anna glowinski founder of cycling clothing company, member of MuleBarGirlsSigmaSport team who seems do a bit of everything including Enduro and road racing and pulls a better wheelie than I can

No I think he means the black lady fashion blogger – Jools is it?

She may have been deemed important to attracting “fashion” cyclists to watch the show?

riddoch

Ahh, I’ve only seen the first episode of this series and there wasn’t any women in it at all.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘The Cycle Show’ is closed to new replies.