Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)
  • The Best British male Singer Ever Is?
  • Coyote
    Free Member

So is versatility the main criteria when it comes to judging “best”?

Not exclusively but when you consider that he excels (rather than displaying competance) at so many different styles then I’d say that puts him up there. I take it that you disagree?

jimjam
    Free Member

Coyote

Not exclusively but when you consider that he excels (rather than displaying competance) at so many different styles then I’d say that puts him up there. I take it that you disagree?

I don’t know. I wouldn’t deny that Tom Jones is a great singer, but I don’t really love anything he’s done.

johnx2
    Free Member

If this is the video I think it is (can’t check from work), it gives a bit of insight into just how technical David McAlmont’s singing can be. Worth a watch

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19DLZPI5Qmk[/video]

(Dunno who my favourite Brit singer is though could list a bunch of Americans starting with Al Green. Surprised neither Lennon or McCarney get a mention as they’d both got a decent set of pipes.)

AlexSimon

In my opinion (and it’s just that), I’ve always thought that Tom Jones is bettered by thousands of black singers, but is famous because he’s white and almost as good. A bit like Elvis, Eminem, Jerry Lee Lewis – maybe even Joe Cocker.
    He’s been clever (or at least employed clever people around him) to sustain his career.

So I’d put Bowie/Freddie in above him because I think they had an amazingly authentic sound.

But with these things, we’re always going to think of the most popular/famous and then think who was a great singer.

I haven’t seen Van Morrison mentioned, but he might fall into my first category also 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

AlexSimon

I haven’t seen Van Morrison mentioned, but he might fall into my first category also

Is your first category populated exclusively by pretentious bible bashing tossers with a god complex?

DezB
    Free Member

Tom Jones is bettered by thousands of black singers, but is famous because he’s white and almost as good

He’s famous cos in his yoof he was a sexy bastard. My mum told me this. And TJ.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Tom Jones is bettered by thousands of black singers, but is famous because he’s white and almost as good

Racist.

😛

ratt1er
    Free Member

Freddie all the way for me followed closely by Kelly Jones of Stereophonics fame. Actually quite surprised no-one else has mentioned him yet, his cover of handbags and gladrags is so much better than the original and shows that old Rod Stewart isn’t even in contention for me.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Actually quite surprised no-one else has mentioned him yet…

I’m more surprised you have. He’s a bit one trick pony.

You’re all wrong, it’s this guy.

Actually. he wasn’t half bad:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT7oA-kb-Og[/video]

But yeah, not ‘the best’.

sparkyrhino

Bon Scott ,close second Rod Stewart Faces era,love a good crackling, raspy voice..

tjagain

DezB – any of them British? If we are gong worldwide I would have Marvin Gaye or Beres Hammond

DezB
    Free Member

DezB – any of them British?

Eh? What? Who?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Clues in the title.

metalheart
    Free Member

Or Scott Walker (although I thought he was American, but according to wiki he’s british…)

cinnamon_girl

What a great thread and thanks to tj for posting so many vids featuring the legendary Tom Jones.

Have to mention that I’ve had the privilege of seeing Solomon Burke live, guest of Jools Holland and his R & B Orchestra on tour. Amazing performer, RIP Solomon Burke.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Once again STW disappoints me. It is of course

ctk
    Free Member

Van Morrison for me, he can do quiet as a mouse to loud as fuch with soul and emotion all the way.
    Contemporary Sam Smith has a amazing voice needs some songs!

Van bit shouty with comedic value at end of vid.
    [video]https://youtu.be/44wDwMQVqCc[/video]

Sam Smith
    [video]https://youtu.be/51Gr4OSqgVk[/video]

mikey3
    Free Member

Lennox Lewis.

DezB
    Free Member

Contemporary Sam Smith has a amazing voice

There’s always one joker around 😆

tjagain

Nice to see STWers music choices running true to form with a huge liking for “dad rock”

Nico
    Free Member

Not sure Gentleman Jim Reeves was ever what you could call British. Van Morrison, on the other hand …

Surprised Terry Reid hasn’t had a mention.

People like Bowie which is fair enough but his singing is pretty irritating with that nasal whine. More of a performer and ideas man.

So, going for “Grandad rock” it is a close run thing between Matt Munro and Billy Fury.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nice to see STWers music choices running true to form with a huge liking for “dad rock”

Grandad rock even.

It’s making me feel refreshingly young.

frankconway

Val doonican? Oh, hang on – he was irish….

LS
    Free Member

I think I’ve only seen one mention of Paul Rogers in this thread so I’d like to double that tally, please.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXjQaZPvzeQ[/video]

anonymouse
    Free Member

Jeremy Hardy

sbob
    Free Member

Good to see Eric Burdon being mentioned, and hats off to whoever used “mellifluous”.

fasthaggis

Cheers to Metalheart for reminding the world about Billy Mac.

A few others I would have in my list,but only because of what their songs have meant to me.

Roddy Frame.
    Kenny Anderson.
    Ian McCulloch.
    Robert Palmer.
    Terry Hall.
    George Michael.

Edric64
    Free Member

Jon Anderson is pretty good

downshep

Brian Kennedy has an astonishing voice, particularly when compared to his mentor; Van Morrison. Just listen to any song covered by both.

George Michael & Kelly Jones are worthy but surely Freddie wins for range, passion, charisma and not being blown off stage by Montserrat Caballe?

cokie

Jamie Cullum

scotroutes

George Michael

Who I hadn’t really rated until he did the Freddie Mercury tribute concert. I thought he was by far the best performer on the day.

colournoise

Been mentioned already in passing, but for me and in terms of pure vocal ability it’s David McAlmont – his voice is truly astonishing at times.

I’m also a big fan of James Dean Bradfields’s vocals, even if they’re a bit mannered at times (usually when trying to wrap his tongue around Richey’s not-quite-scanning-properly-at-all lyrics.

cinnamon_girl

Awesome Van the Man vid there. 8)

Brian Kennedy has an astonishing voice, particularly when compared to his mentor; Van Morrison. Just listen to any song covered by both.

Agreed, what happened to him?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Fasthaggis beat me to it. My vote would be for Kenny Anderson. But I’m not too worried about whether or not the voice sounds great, there’s so much more to it than that. I’d never describe Jagger, Dylan, Neil Young or Kurt Cobain as great singers but I’d rather listen to them than a lot of other technically correct singers. Same goes for a lot of the people described as great guitarists. It’s not what you play or say it’s what you leave out that’s important.

kennyp
    Free Member

Bon Scott.

k-sugden
    Free Member

Possibly not the best singer but definitely the best singer song writer Paul Brady
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD4eS2Xb6Ls
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD4eS2Xb6Ls

EhWhoMe

Has Kelly Jones been mentioned….brillant on his todd with an accoustic guitar

RustySpanner

stevenmenmuir – Member
    Fasthaggis beat me to it. My vote would be for Kenny Anderson.

Better than his brothers, you reckon?
    Have seen Gordon a few times – very, very Brian Wilsonesque, but absolutely fantastic.
    Very different to a KC gig.

rob2
    Free Member

David McAlmont
    Or
    Thom yorke

Both superb

jamj1974

Fasthaggis beat me to it. My vote would be for Kenny Anderson.

Better than his brothers, you reckon?
    Have seen Gordon a few times – very, very Brian Wilsonesque, but absolutely fantastic.
    Very different to a KC gig.

Both truly brilliant.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘The Best British male Singer Ever Is?’ is closed to new replies.