Viewing 36 posts - 161 through 196 (of 196 total)
  • That razor you lot recommend?
  • nickf
    Free Member

I’ve not found the “knitted from virgin badger nose-hair using Ti needles by a bloke with a beard” brushes to be no better than a decent (£6) brush from Body Shop.

Hohum
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member
    How big a deal is the brush? I’ve got a Merkur Futur, ’60’s Gillette Superspeed and a Parker, all excellent razors. Soap is Arko, recommended on here someplace, and is also excellent with rich creamy lather. Brush is a £3 Wilkinson’s which works fine – is there ny real benefit to spending £40-£50 on a badger’s pubes?

If you can whip up a good lather with your Wilkinson’s brush then there probably is no benefit going to a more expensive badger brush, but in the grand scheme of things £40-£50 isn’t that much really and you will get a little bit of luxury 🙂

Hohum
    Free Member

nickf – Member
    I’ve not found the “knitted from virgin badger nose-hair using Ti needles by a bloke with a beard” brushes to be no better than a decent (£6) brush from Body Shop.

I have, all of my brushes have their own little character 😉

woody2000

If anyone’s DE curious, I have a cheapy wilkinson sword razor and a few blades that I just don’t get on with. Drop me an email and I’ll post them to you. Assuming you’re not suicidal that is 🙂

It’s this one

Taff
    Free Member

decent (£6) brush from Body Shop.

I ahve that brush and it’s awesome [touch wood]

JonBoy
    Free Member

Does using the correct soap and brush really make that much difference? Now I know that you need to prep your face but once this is done couldn’t you just use your normal foam/moose?

Not gone to the single speed shave yet but really want to.

Hohum
    Free Member

It makes a different in my opinion.

Is it worth paying the extra for it? Hmmm not sure. I would say so as I would not go back to the canned stuff but others will say otherwise.

nickf
    Free Member

I’ve been using the Merkur Progress for the last year with Feather blades. It gives as good a shave (even a touch beter) than the multi-blade efforts I was using before, and I’d definitely not go back to the Mach 3-type razors.

On a whim I bought a Muhle R41, which is said to be a real love:hate affair. It’s meant to be a very aggressive razor – lots of exposed blade, easy to make a mistake, and generally not recommended for beginners. But those that like it seem to love it. At £25 it’s not throwaway money, but equally it doesn’t break the bank.

Tried it today for the first time, with a new Feather blade, Proraso shaving soap, and a lot of trepidation. 5 minutes later, minus whiskers and with no blood loss, I was completely stunned. That was the single best shave I’ve ever had, and that was the first go. I’d never have believed that the actual razor could make such a difference, but it really does, and there’s absolutely no razor burn.

Highly recommended, but don’t blame me if you cut yourself – a lot of people have tried an R41 and just haven’t got on with it.

pedlad

Progress update with my Merkur Future I got at Christmas – had 4 good shaves and two not so good. Working my way through a variety pack of blades and the good ones have been merkur and isreali. Not so keen on Derbys. Yesterdays was with a feather which just felt so sharp I think I got my technique all wrong ending up in a poor shave. I’ll try again with all of them before coming to any conclusions I think.

Most of my face is fine, getting far closer than the electric I’ve been using for the past year. I’m still suffering with rash on the neck though (using good brush and soap). Either get a rubbish shave if too conservative or lots of burn. Is there any specific techniques other than going with the grain?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Does using the correct soap and brush really make that much difference?

Tried Wilkinson’s soap from supermarket – crap, couldn’t lather at all. Wilkinson’s brush on the other hand works fine, but tbh did take a while to soften. I’ve also got a bristle travel brush, but it’s poor, so I’d say yes. Try Arko soap if you can, it’s cheap and good.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I have a cheapy wilkinson sword razor and a few blades that I just don’t get on with

That will because it’s crap!

Either get a rubbish shave if too conservative or lots of burn. Is there any specific techniques other than going with the grain?

A few things I’ve found:

Soap makes a difference – I now use an Arko stick (£3 for ebay and lasts me about 8 months!) which gives a very rich lather.
    Do not apply ANY pressure at all when shaving. The Futur is so heavy that you can simply place it against your skin and let the weight do the work.
    Don’t try and get a perfect shave in one go – do two shaves one going with the grain and then an optional second pass against the grain
    Start on number 1 or 2 on the razor and work up. I’m now on about 3.5 and that’s fine for a single pass.
    New feather blades feel odd at first then become increadibly sharp.

freddyg
    Free Member

Either get a rubbish shave if too conservative or lots of burn. Is there any specific techniques other than going with the grain?

As above.

But also do not be tempted to shave areas where there is no soap/lubricant. If you need another pass, there should still be planty of soap on your brush. Dip the tip of the brush in the hot water and re-soap 8)

EDIT: Oh, the quotey-thingy isn’t working.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Nickf

I own a Muhle r89 which gives a nice shave but I wanted a closer shave

So I bought a R41 put in a fresh 7 oclock sharp blade and had admittedly the best shave ever but it did take over an hour too stop bleeding what a mess yes it is bloody agressive and I would not recommend it to a beginner

Would it be worth trying with a feather blade??????

gazza100

Sick of paying a fortune for Fusion cartridges, so I eventually took the plunge and decided to buy one of those Merkur razors, brush, shaving and a sample pack of blades. Time will tell whether I’ve made the right decision.

nickf
    Free Member

Would it be worth trying with a feather blade??????

To my mind, a Feather is the way to go in all circumstances. Also remember that a different razor will require a slightly different technique, so make sure you’ve got an excellent lather and really softened that bristle to give yourself a chance to get to grips with the more aggressive nature of the R41.

2nd time use this morning, and still no cuts/nics/scrapes. Beginner’s luck, I’m sure – I’ll be reporting severed limbs tomorrow.

scaredypants

wot’s the big gap up ^ there ? Is there a pic of somebody’s shaving bloodbath or something?

saladdodger
    Free Member

nickf

tried again using Proraso pre shave and shaving soap after a shower left the soap on for 3 minutes then shaved alas I still bleed but not so much

Still gives hell of a good shave but it the R41 is still not a first time users razor

Hohum
    Free Member

saladdodger – Member
    nickf

tried again using Proraso pre shave and shaving soap after a shower left the soap on for 3 minutes then shaved alas I still bleed but not so much

Still gives hell of a good shave but it the R41 is still not a first time users razor

In my opinion you have to accept that there is a fine line between a damn fine shave and one that seems baby bum soft for a limited amount of time and then bites you as your skin starts to hurt and your whiskers start to grow back in.

Once or twice I crossed the line and it wasn’t much fun. For some people, including myself, their skin just can not cope with going over the line and I quickly learnt not to see this as a failure.

Find your comfortable limit and stick with it 🙂

lemonysam
    Free Member

Well I’m on board, been a soap and brush shaver for a while but now muhle r89 ordered.

fozzyuk

Started using soap a couple of weeks bike with a Boots £3 DE razor and a cheap brush and was really pleased with the results. Close shave and none of the irritation I’d been having with the electric and cartridge.

My Merkur HD arrived on Tuesday and that was another revelation, again really smooth shave.

I do find you need to prep though, I always shave after a shower and also use a pre shave soap but it quickly becomes part of a routine.

It did occur to me as I cycled home in the wind and driving rain earlier in the week that the combination of a bad weather commute followed by a shave was probably part of my original issue. I’ve never really considered products / grooming in the past but after weeks of balancing a really sore face with looking half shaven at work I’m a convert

bigbloke
    Free Member

I have been a convert for a year nearly. I didn’t go too fancy and got these which are giving great results…….

http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/DE87db5%7C%7C@cTraditional%20safety%20&%20double%20edge%20razors@bEdwin%20Jagger%7C0%7Cuser%7C%7C22%7C

http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/EJ947%7C%7C@cEdwin%20Jagger%20Best%20badger%20shaving%20brushes@b%7C0%7Cuser%7C%7C16%7C

I used Derby blades but didnt like them, currently using Gillette 7AM blades (yellow pack) which seem really good 5 packs of these have lasted ages.

Proraso shave cream also, which has lasted months. Can’t believe how much cheaper it is in the long run too, a little more fuss but after a while it becomes second nature.

JonBoy
    Free Member

Looking for a starter razor. Are Parker any good? Not too much money.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

check out the lord one on shaving shack for 2.50 posted, a great way to see if you like it.

JonBoy
    Free Member

So, 5 mins after I shave using cartridge affair the postie drops off my new razor (Merkur Futur) and a selection of blades.

Not got soap/cream yet. There seems to be a bit of talk about Arko stuff from Wilko. Is it any good?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Arko is great (dont think its anything to do with Wilko?). Turkish barbers tend to stock it. Should last you a year.

Another widely available good one is Palmolive Shaving Stick – I think Boots do it.

BTW – check your futur’s for a loose / wobbly head and that the blade is parallel to the safety bar on both sides. I had to send mine back and its a commonish problem with them.

Lastly – you’ve certainly gone in at the deep end with a Futur imo. Dont be tempted to turn up that dial until you’re happy.

JonBoy
    Free Member

I have read alot about some razors being more aggresive than others so an adjustable seemed the way to go plus it looks good and has a longer handle. The head is nice and tight but not tried a blade yet. I will be sticking at 1 maybe 2 for a while. I nervous to even bring that thing to my face. What would you guys recomend as a good blade to start with. I have a selection of the usual suspects.

As for Wilko and Arko soap i have been told thats a good place to get it. Ran out of shaving gel today so good timeing.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Youll be fine! I guess a futurs settings go from medium to aggressive. More than a progress or fatboy. You know that so you’ll be fine with no pressure on the razor. A 7o clock blade would be my start point.

JonBoy
    Free Member

Its heavier than I expected so will just use its weight to shave. I have some 7’s.

I got this pack with the razor as most suggested trying different blades depending on your face and razor.

Blade selection

dean0
    Free Member

So… I don’t shave my face (been a beardy for quite a while), but I do shave my legs.

Anyone use one of this type of razors for that purpose? Scary going around the side of the knees?!

JonBoy
    Free Member

Has anyone been brave/stupid enough do do thier coin purse?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i bought some arko from ebay, with a boar brush, for about a fiver (taking my total spend, when combined with razor and a pack of 10 shark blades, to try a de razor to a whopping 10.50).

i used it last night for the first time, seemed pretty good and certainly better than the tin of shaving foam i had been using. i actually liked the brushing bit. only issue i had, and i’m going to post the question, is that it rapidly dried out my skin. i think its because i never use soap on my face, but literally i could feel my skin tightening.

JonBoy
    Free Member

I am going to have my first DE shave tomorrow but regarding a dry face it may be worth trying a pre shave treatment or oil under the soap/foam. This helps me in normal shaving as if i dont i look like some one has been at me with fine grit sand paper.

chewkw
    Free Member

JonBoy,

Try applying little bit of Jojoba oil before lather and before shaving. Don’t apply pressure while shaving and use short stroke then you should be fine. After finished shaving just apply some aftershave and post shave balm like Nivea sensitive (about £4).

Palmolive shavesticks are perfectly good to me at 49p each (You can get it from ASDA, Teso and Wilkinson, Superdrug) so no need for Akro as I can’t fine them.

JonBoy
    Free Member

So, what do i do with shave stick?

chewkw
    Free Member

JonBoy – Member

So, what do i do with shave stick?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oGMPFJj2BQ&feature=related[/video]

There you go very simple.

This is a good video.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/v/-qSIP6uQ3EI?fs=1&hl=en_GB[/video]

🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

This one …

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qSIP6uQ3EI&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

Viewing 36 posts - 161 through 196 (of 196 total)

The topic ‘That razor you lot recommend?’ is closed to new replies.