Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 196 total)
  • That razor you lot recommend?
  • poppa
    Free Member

Thanks! I used a shaving soap once before, from Evelyn & Crabtree, and found it quite harsh on my skin. I hope there are better ones out there!

I will probably take the plunge sooner or later. I also shave intermittently, and clogging is a real problem.

poppa
    Free Member

Edit: Double post.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I’ve gone back to multi-blade after experimenting with DE razors for 6 months or so, I just prefer the ease and the “you could do it with your eyes closed” ability of multi-blades. It’s not as if you can’t enjoy the shaving experience of multiblades, I’ve bought myself a nice badger brush and some really nice shaving soap and that definitely adds to the pamper factor of shaving. Probably a slightly closer shave with DE but not that much in it.

To mitigate against the bonkers blade prices I’ve bought one of these razor pit thingys, too early to say how well it works.

Stoner
    Free Member

Thanks! I used a shaving soap once before, from Evelyn & Crabtree, and found it quite harsh on my skin. I hope there are better ones out there!

as many as there are tyres for your bike 🙂

poppa
    Free Member

What shaving soap for Glentress?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Poppa, you might want to try a shaving cream instead of a soap (with a cream you just put a little on a wet brush and apply direct to your face – the more you brush the thicker the ‘cream’).

I go for a coconut one in the summer and lavender in the winter.
    Although it’s a travel size mine has lasted since early September and I shave 3 times a week…..got about a months worth left.
    You could also try a sample pack which gives you loads of stuff to try – you’d never see gillette doing anything like this!!

poppa
    Free Member

Oh, I think I’m entering a new world of retail confusion and pain.

Some razors seem to ‘flip open’ at the top, and some you have to unscrew. Any reason to buy one over the other?

I think i’ll probably spend about £20-25 on the razor. That Parker one on the previous page looked alright. Any advice welcomed.

That sample pack looks good too.

Stoner
    Free Member

agree about that sample pack. I’ll pop in to trumpers tomorrow when Im in town….

sharkbait
    Free Member

Ones that flip open are called butterfly and simply make it easier to change blades – a bit more expensive but nice.
    Just be warned you’ll find reasons to buy stuff. I now have 4 razors (3 ’50s/’60s) and a modern Merkur.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I bought a Parker razor before xmas but I just can’t get on with it (when compared to my Boots cheapie). It shaves okay but the metal head just doesn’t slide over my skin in the same way that the plastic Boots one does.
    I’ve gone back to my Mach3 Disposables to be honest.

poppa
    Free Member

Hmmm… you can buy a butterfly for £20 or a standard one for £20 though.

freddyg
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    I don’t get it. Surely it’s the blade that’s the important part with one of these – the razor is simply holding the blade in the right place. Surely a cheapy one does just a good a job of that as these niche expensive ones people are suggesting?

The blade is important, but I find the angle at which it is presented to your face and the space between the blade and the surround make quite a bit of difference.

I have two razors – a Gilette Tech I bought off eBay, and a Merkur Progress my missus bought me for Christmas. I get quite different results with the two.

With the Tech, I find that I prefer Personna Platinums over anything else (Feathers included). Last night, I put a new Personna Platinum into the Merkur for the first time and found it to be distinctly average. In the Merkur, I’ve used a couple of Derby’s and found them to be pretty good. After using them in the Tech, I almost threw them away; dreadful.

poppa
    Free Member

Sod it, bought the Parker. Should be interesting…

freddyg
    Free Member

Rockhopper – Member
    ….the metal head just doesn’t slide over my skin in the same way that the plastic Boots one does.

What soap are you using? Are you getting a thick creamy lather <fnarr, fnarr>?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Sod it, bought the Parker. Should be interesting…

you know it makes sense 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve gone back to my Mach3 Disposables to be honest.

I might be interested if you want to sell the Parker. Which one is it?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

freddyg, I’ve used erasmic and Palmolive and I think I’ve also used my spray can gel stuff.

Haze

Right, the singlespeed of shaving sold me and I’ve taken the plunge.

Been thinking of trying this for a while tbh, tired of splashing out on Mach 3 blades and gel, I’d rather put it towards doing things properly.

Should be ‘interesting’…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’m surprised more people dont use shaving oils they enable you to get a much closer shave than foams and stuff, and you can see where your going!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Any DE will work well if you have plenty of heat. I often use hair conditioner as foam as I usually shave in the shower.

Razor is this http://www.wilkinsonsword.co.uk/men/showroom/classic and was less than £10.00.

If you suffer from ingowing hairs then I’d say you should use a brush and badger is best as it’s stiff and lifts the beard.

It’s all about heat, if you haven’t seen this you should.

http://www.trumpers.com/shaving_tips.cfm

I may invest in a nicer razor at some point but the one I use is good enough for me, if you’re tentative try a cheapy first. .

chipps

I’ve gone all ‘real shaving’ recently too. Got a cheapy Wilkinson Sword DE razor – nice and cheap and it has a pretty slim gap for the razor, so is reasonably hard to slice yourself with. Inevitably though, I’ve also now bought an Edwin Jagger just for the nice weight and the looks…

You’re right about it making shaving fun again – I used to shave once a week (the delights of having a casual office) but now I shave every other day and really look forward to it.

The bit about it being cheaper is rubbish though! Unless you’re very well disciplined, you’ll soon be buying yourself several different razors, brushes, blades and lotions 🙂

And mind those shaving forums – they’re as bad as here. What blade/soap for Glentress indeed!

noteeth
    Free Member

This thread makes me want to join the Taliban and sternly enforce a policy of beards.

What’s wrong with freshly-struck flint, a car wing-mirror and some cheap soap lather (preferably something you nicked from a hotel and mixed in a bucket)?

You bunch of girls. 😉

sv

Right, the singlespeed of shaving sold me and I’ve taken the plunge.

I took the plunge after the last ‘big’ discussion on here. Used a Parker and a fresh Feather this morning after not having shaved for three days – very smooth shave. Enjoy and remember let the razor do the work (and an alum block).

Haze

fresh Feather

Out of interest, and I realise this is going to depend very much on several factors, how many shaves are people getting out of each blade?

I’m used to getting a fair few out of my Mach, but wouldn’t mind a heads up before before I slice myself open.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I get around a two weeks worth.

Hohum
    Free Member

Haze – Member
    fresh Feather
    Out of interest, and I realise this is going to depend very much on several factors, how many shaves are people getting out of each blade?

I’m used to getting a fair few out of my Mach, but wouldn’t mind a heads up before before I slice myself open.

3, maybe 4 shaves.

poppa
    Free Member

Per blade, or per edge?

Hohum
    Free Member

poppa – Member
    Per blade, or per edge?

Per blade.

Whilst shaving I switch the razor after, say every two strokes, so I get approximately the same usage out of each blade.

The blades cost between 10p and 20p, so the cost per shave isn’t very much in comparison to the multi-bladed cartridges.

holmes81
    Free Member

Been using a Rocket HD(British version) with various blades.

Second all previous sentiments of using a DE over anything else.

Stoner
    Free Member

since I only shave once or twice a week anyway, I often treat myself to a new blade quite often. Sometimes after only 2 shaves. Sometimes more like 5 or 6. If the first few strokes dont feel super sharp, I’ll quickly bung in a new blade. At <20p a blade you can afford to be decadent 🙂

sv

Yep 4-5 shaves before changing, you know when it needs changing by feel.

Haze – use it like a normal multi blade and there wont be any slicing!

freddyg
    Free Member

I get 2 or 3 shaves per blade. As soon as it starts to drag I swap for a new one. I used to get 4 or 5 out of my Mach3, but the blades cost a fortune by comparison. I do seem to have a wire-brush-like beard though.

I’m still going through my 90 blade sample pack so haven’t decided which are best for my razors.

noteeth
    Free Member

At <20p a blade you can afford to be decadent

I bet that’s what the Romans said – and look what happened to them.

On a side note, one of the trickier aspects of my job is having to give some poor old admitted-in-a-hurry geezer a proper shave – whilst using only a pathetic plastic Bic thing (“decent” disposable razors not being a funding priority). A bad workman blames his tools, sure, but sometimes there is good reason…

Stoner
    Free Member

When I say <20p, I actually mean about 2p – once you’ve melted down the coin though 🙂

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/6766563.stm

The grocer confessed to melting down tens of thousands of Indian coins into razor blades which were then smuggled into Bangladesh, police said.

“Our one rupee coin is in fact worth 35 rupees, because we make five to seven blades out of them,” the grocer allegedly told the police. “Bangladeshi smugglers take delivery of the blades at regular intervals.”

noteeth
    Free Member

Our one rupee coin is in fact worth 35 rupees, because we make five to seven blades out of them

Inventive. You have to admire the [clean-shaven] cheek.

Mind you, I only shave with razors made from melted down on-one frames.

freddyg
    Free Member

FAO whoever put the tag up ^^^^

Have you done the arithmetic? I have 🙂

With a fusion I got 3 shaves
    With a mach 3, I get 5 shaves
    With a DE, I get (max) 3 shaves.

So with the DE I need to change the blades more often. However, I prefer the feel of the post-shave results (so does MrsG) and it’s cheaper:

Fusion = £2.12 per blade (£16.99 for 8 from Boots)
    Mach3 = £1.43 per blade (£11.46 for 8 from Boots)
    DE = £0.17 per blade (£0.84 for 5 Derby blades from shaving.ie)

Therefore, the fusion will cost me £15 a month, the mach3 £6.13 a month and the DE £1.70 a month – approx.

The price may go up a bit as I try different DE blades, but should still fall short of the Mach3.

Cougar

Sorry for the delay in replying, I had bed and then work. The link Joolsburger posted ^^ is the same cheapy razor I have.

Stoner > thanks for the link. Do you recommend those blades, I wouldn’t be better off perhaps with a broader selection of fewer blades?

Sharkbait > Seriously? Wow, that’d be ace, thankyou. Email address might be in my profile, unless I’m a chump.

Woody > Noted, thanks for the info.

Chewkw > Yeah, I -think- my technique is ok. Could well need practice but I think I’ve got a handle on the basics at least.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Interesting.

Shaving every day I get at least two weeks out of a Mach 3 (14 shaves) and maybe 3 out of my DE blades so:

Mach 3 = £2.83 a month
    DE = £1.70 a month.

so not as big a saving as it might seem at first.

Stoner
    Free Member

Cougar – you could try this selection from shaving.ie

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Two-Of-A-Kind-DE-Blade-Sample-Pack.html

I just havent used them before and just linked shaving-shack. As I mentioned before I like the unbranded israeli ones that SS do.

Cougar

<nods> cool. I’ll give it some thought (or flip a coin). Ta. (-:

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 196 total)

The topic ‘That razor you lot recommend?’ is closed to new replies.