That new Specialized Enduro

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • That new Specialized Enduro
  • Premier Icon simondbarnes
    Subscriber

That’s my point, where’s the mid range?

They have bouncy bikes starting at £1800

MSP

I think it looks good, and the frame option is comparably priced with other similar offerings from trek/yeti/SC/transition etc.

The top end bike builds have always been bad value from specialized, when I built up a 2016 s-works enduro, I did so with a higher spec and a grand cheaper than the ready built model, buying everything new (although shopping around obviously), that really shouldn’t be the case.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

It’s in line with similar bikes from other brands, maybe a shade cheaper. Still a lot of money, sure.

Yes, but SC have always been an expensive niche brand.

The surprise isn’t that there’s a $10k s-works model, that price points been there for a decade. My surprise is that the range doest start with an aluminium Yari/SLX model arround £2000-2500.

Look at Giant, the base model is generally usually priced only slightly above the frame only option (albeit with a lower spec material and shock).

I’m sure it’s an amazing bike, and MBR will give it 10/10, but £4500?

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

£4500 is still a big price for the the lowest model in the range . Don’t expect it to be a big seller .

I think the point is that if you want a “Cheaper Enduro” specialized would probably point you towards a Stumpy Evo now.

They’ve got so many bikes in the range in both Alloy and carbon plus all the variations in spec and wheel size, I’m not surprised they decided to just roll out the new shape Enduro in carbon only this year….

Having said that they’ve still got the ‘Old’ Alloy enduro on their website as a current model (linky) a snip at just £3150 🙂 , so even if you’re a pauper and can’t stretch that extra £1500 they’ve got a 160mm toy for you to buy nicely positioned between a Stumpy Evo comp and an carbon Enduro comp…

I think there’s a bit of a roadmap here (wild guesses ahead), Carbon Enduro this year, Alloy Enduro and Carbon Stumpy next year, and so on, working backwards down the range adding that Demo-derived shock linkage. So that there’s a nice easy little visual indicator for the carpark bitches as to who’s got the wad for a shiny new Spesh and who hasn’t…

chrismac

SC are mass market mass produced bikes. They are along way from niche. They are part of one of the biggest bicycle manufacturers in the world. The only difference is branding

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

SC aren’t mass market in the same league as Specialized though. Yes they are popular at trail centres, and within the MTB enthusiast market, whereas Specialized are a globally recognised cycling brand, at all price points, and this is their performance model. Like comparing a Lamborghini to a Nissan GTR

tomhoward

Like comparing a Lamborghini to a Nissan GTR

Nissan sell GT-Rs for £175K these days. Ford do a £450K GT. Selling stuff at a lot of price points doesn’t mean you can’t sell expensive stuff.

MSP

Lamborghini is to vw what s-works is to specialized.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Nissan sell GT-Rs for £175K these days. Ford do a £450K GT.

Still a Nissan/Ford though.

Selling stuff at a lot of price points doesn’t mean you can’t sell expensive stuff.

They are still mass market brands though. That puts some people off, regardless of how good the product is, they see it as ‘cheap’ or not as good as your perceived premium brands. Tell people you have a Lamborghini/Santa Cruz, they know it’s a premium product. Nissan/ford/Specialized requires a caveat that ‘it’s a nice one’.

“S-Works” is as much a premium brand as Santa Cruz, Id have thought. It’s all very subjective either way, I’d see Santa Cruz as more BMW and S-Works as Audi

munrobiker

You can indeed buy a Nissan GT-R for loads of money, £80,000 for the basic one and £175,000 for the Nismo. But the entry level one is still a premium product and doesn’t come with steel wheels and a five speed manual from a Micra, which is the equivalent of the entry level Enduro coming with NX and bog-spec Rovals.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

“S-Works” is as much a premium brand as Santa Cruz, Id have thought.

Do people say they ride an S-Works?

omhoward

Do people say they ride an S-Works?

Yes, they absolutely do.

Yep, just the same as people who say, “Sorry, got to go, my iPhone is ringing”.

😀

Premier Icon andybrad
    Subscriber
    Kuco

SC aren’t mass market in the same league as Specialized though. Yes they are popular at trail centres

Isn’t Santa Cruz owned by Pon Holdings and ain’t the frames made in China/Taiwan?

Premier Icon Kamakazie
    Subscriber

In the UK SC is about as mass market as high end bikes get, they just don’t do cheaper bikes like other larger manufacturers do.

In the scheme of global bike sales that makes them niche compared to Spesh.

When talking about a bike like the Enduro, I think it’s unfair to expect significantly lower price options compared to SC just because you can get a Spesh branded FS for much less.
    Not surprising that some would view the bike as less special though.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.