Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 1,437 total)
  • That Maxxis "babes calendar" article…
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I find when I’m really losing an argument…and I mean, struggling big style, and I’m looking even less intelligent than before, I start talking about Muslims. That always works.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Molgrips – we’ve also done why the calendar itself is not sexist in and of itself. I think we effectively agreed to disagree there.

molgrips
    Free Member

She is asking for self-censorship. Which is de-facto censorship

Disagree.

Which is a problem when there are significant minorities who’s voices may not be heard.

Wait, hetero males who like models are a minority?

Molgrips – we’ve also done why the calendar itself is not sexist in and of itself.

I think your argument is no better than the ‘guns don’t kill people’ one. A brick won’t stop you doing anything, but a wall will, and walls need bricks.

I can’t put it any simpler than that. I think your point of view is damaging tbh.

*shrug*

aracer
    Free Member

Careful, you’re playing the (wo)man and not the ball.[/quote]

To be fair (which I’m trying to be with anybody prepared to engage in intelligent debate), he does possibly have a point there which directly relates to what she wrote in the article.

Junkyard
    Free Member

She is asking for self-censorship. Which is de-facto censorship.

Please dont go to to church

Forgive me for trying to ban all religion and censor it

http://singletrackworld.com/columns/2015/12/sexism-in-mountain-biking-an-open-letter-to-maxxis/

Its worth reading what she said again as its nothing like you are claiming…oh what do we call that again? Stram man reasonable response

I recommend misrepresenting everything she says in order to make your argument more effective.

Chuckles

aracer
    Free Member

I’m wondering whether moving the discussion onto whether pit babes at motor racing are sexist (which has been acknowledged as pretty much an identical issue to the calendar) might be useful, as I attempted a bit earlier? Assuming any of this discussion is in any way useful.

molgrips
    Free Member

I dislike those even more than calendars, because they know they are going to be broadcast on telly to millions. And don’t get me started on having a pretty girl drape herself on the bonnet of a car at a show. FFS.

grum
    Free Member

find when I’m really losing an argument…and I mean, struggling big style, and I’m looking even less intelligent than before, I start talking about Muslims. That always works.

😀

aracer
    Free Member

Please dont go to to church
    Forgive me for trying to ban all religion and censor it[/quote]

It certainly puts Ben’s e-mail into a whole new light – asking for self-censorship, thank God the servers caught fire.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

junkyard – so she wrote that whole article with what aim then?

Just to make them feel bad? To try and damage their sales? Or was it to stop them publishing similar calendars in the future? i.e. self-censorship.

scotroutes

Careful, you’re playing the (wo)man and not the ball.[/quote]To be fair (which I’m trying to be with anybody prepared to engage in intelligent debate), he does possibly have a point there which directly relates to what she wrote in the article.[/quote]OK, but folk in the thread have already been called out for this and anyone pointing out her hypocrisy is immediately put into the sexist/knuckledragger category – whether or not they’ve expressed an opinion about the calendar.

molgrips
    Free Member

To voice her opinion I suppose – something in aid of which you’ve probably written many more words here.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not entirely sure it wasn’t me who called somebody out for it first, and I don’t think I’ve ever accused anybody of being a knuckle dragger etc. because of it (or for any other reason – my sincerest apologies to anybody who thinks I have aimed that at them). I simply suggested it was irrelevant, but then I don’t think I’ve seen it put quite like that before.

FWIW I think most of the kunckledragger accusations are rather unhelpful (there probably are a few on the thread, but it seems those most loudly disagreeing with her are doing so because they’re not sexist and therefore don’t understand the concepts – well that or they’re trolling).

piemonster

I’m suspect it’s in here somewhere.

But have you discussed examples where those parading around in skimpy outfits are usually men. This is in (reasonably)main stream TV?

Feel free to point out the page. But there’s no **** way I’m reading all this bollocks. But I’d be interested to see what the opinions are.

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t think we have – though we’ve covered why unclothed men isn’t directly equivalent. I’ve given it at least 5 seconds thought, and can’t work out what you’re referring to – care to enlighten?

scotroutes

Saturday night 🙂

And Olde Worlde “wrestling” on TV wasn’t a sport, and more up-to-date

http://www.ldnwrestling.com/news/2013/08/05/ldn-wrestling-filmed-for-itv

ONly there for the beer?

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

Is this still a argument about a calender or to see who can win an argument, think tj got banned for arguing, i would join in but not intelligent enough.

chip
    Free Member

Completely unrelated but I think it demonstrates the difference in the sexes. That dating program with Paddy McGuinness where the panel with twenty or so young women are vying for a single man, you know no lighty no likely.
    He was asked why they never flipped it the other way around.

He said they tried it once. He said well the women would be very fussy, a woman might turn her light out after the short VT of the man at home and then when asked why she turned off her light would say she didnt like his wallpaper.

Where as when they had a panel of young men faced with a beautiful young woman, she could come on and say she was a facist dictator who regularly committed genocide on her own people And the men would be like,I don’t care if she is a mass murderer, she’s fit,I’m in.

He said the game went on for an eternity as no one would turn off their lights, so they never tried it again.

piemonster

care to enlighten?

No actually. As that would risk a “debate”!

Any idea what page number

though we’ve covered why unclothed men isn’t directly equivalent

will be on?

This thread is the longest argument about a load of tosh I’ve ever seen.

Some people like stuff, some don’t!

The original article wasn’t even a strong enough issue to warrant all the posturing that it’s created.

Go to sleep and tomorrow, leave the thread alone.

piemonster

Completely unrelated but I think it demonstrates the difference in the sexes. That dating program with Paddy McGuinness where the panel with twenty or so young women arebvying for a single man, you know no lighty no likely.

Denise Van Outen and that ‘do you recognise this penis’ thing. Car crash TV.

@aracer this wasn’t what I was referring to a moment ago.

slowster
    Free Member

She is asking for self-censorship. Which is de-facto censorship.

Every day, the overwhelming majority of us will exercise self-censorship. Not only would probably none of us use or tolerate the use of the word ‘n***er’ ‘black b@astard’or ‘p@ki’ in speech, we would also not use those words in our private thoughts to describe a person, because we recognise that they are deeply offensive and it would be alien to us to even think of using such words. This has not happened by chance, but because as individuals and collectively as a society we have changed our attitudes about what is acceptable/tolerable. That process of change has been gradual, and initially many of those who objected to those terms would have been seen by others as controlling and wanting to censor people’s freedom of speech and thoughts, but now relatively few people would use such words in speech, and they know that if they do, then others will challenge them.

It is not even acceptable to just be a closet racist and only ‘think’ those words, because to define someone using those terms in your mind means seeing them as less deserving of equal and fair treatment, and and that will inevitably lead to racist behaviour.

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom to have what we say go unchallenged, and challenging sexism, racism etc., and asking others to reconsider what they are doing and to change their behaviour, is not censorship.

DrJ

It is not even acceptable to just be a closet racist and only ‘think’ those words

Room 101. Scary.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think he means acceptable on a moral basis, to yourself, rather than to the secret police.

DrJ

He states clearly what he means. No need for spinning after the fact.

grum
    Free Member

Does anyone really want this thread to carry on? At the risk of being accused of ‘shutting down debate’ I think it’s run its course and should probably be closed. 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

It’s quite clearly a cheese sandwich

Hmm, I’m not sure the point of mentioning it then (BTW the phrase used wasn’t a challenge, I’m genuinely interested in what I’ve missed).

Any idea what page number

though we’ve covered why unclothed men isn’t directly equivalent

will be on?
    [/quote]

Gosh no, and no I’m not checking. It’s been done a few times in various ways – do you want a rehash?

chip
    Free Member

This ones for binners,t his is a show I did like in the 70s although this collection of clips is from 1980.
    Please take with a pinch of salt and there are some sexist (maybe) images of woman.
    [video]http://youtu.be/91ak3axhUpM[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

Maybe further discussion should be banned censored self-censored?

DrJ

I imagine that the folk posting to it want it to carry on, no?

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Slowster makes a nice point, albeit about a slightly different topic!

Applying the logic here though that does give room to challenge Adele and other’s position.

Why do people ask for a topic to be closed exactly? No one makes you post an opinion you can just stop. 😉

aracer
    Free Member

So you weren’t suggesting that self censorship is effectively the same as censorship?

Applying the logic here though that does give room to challenge Adele and other’s position.

You’re thinking his post is supporting your position?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom to have what we say go unchallenged, and challenging sexism, racism etc., and asking others to reconsider what they are doing and to change their behaviour, is not censorship.

well said and a nice post in all this dross

Slowster makes a nice point, albeit about a slightly different topic!

its on topic and the opposite of what you were arguing.

MoreCashThanDash

Just popped in and found I’m agreeing with JY…..

*pops straight back out again*

DrJ

I suppose someone may have mentioned it in the preceding 1000 posts, but it should be remembered that this famous calendar is a work of fiction. Separating fact from fantasy is a basic skill for survival, or we risk plummeting from tall buildings wearing tights and a mask.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

What?

johnx2
    Free Member

this famous calendar is a work of fiction

…it’s not real? 😀

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

It’s a very nicely written post actually and if you stop arguing for one moment and think then you might realise that what it says supports Adele’s right to write the article and anybody else right to challenge that article. That’s what a debate is.

I suspect slowster leans towards agreeing with Adele’s article but that is not stated in the post. You can read into it what you like though, you seem to be good at deciding what other people think.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The links in the article go to pages that are now offline. I suspect Maxxis have pulled the product.

molgrips
    Free Member

He states clearly what he means. No need for spinning after the fact.

It’s not that clear is it, because we both interpreted it completely differently..?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 1,437 total)

The topic ‘That Maxxis "babes calendar" article…’ is closed to new replies.