Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 1,437 total)
  • That Maxxis "babes calendar" article…
  • scotroutes

Congratulations to El-bent. Who’d have thunk a thread started so late in the year would have made 1,000 posts?

grum
    Free Member

The flip side is that allowing a vocal objection to affect what can and cannot be published and effect self censorship somehow isn’t of concern.

By your own (flawed) logic – your vocal objection to the article referred to in the OP is an attempt at banning and censorship of such articles.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Congratulations to El-bent. Who’d have thunk a thread started so late in the year would have made 1,000 posts?

The speed getting there has to give added bonus points.

chip
    Free Member

What about cheerleaders, acceptable or not,

David……….. Eyes up David………david…………..DAVID!

David’s clearly not evolved.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Grum, no, because its a completely different context. I’m responding to an opinion piece. I’m not saying her opinion is not valid, I’m just saying I disagree. Adele is asking for a permanent hiatus in publication.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

^^Whoopi Goldberg is shaking her booty all over Beckham’s back up there^^

grum
    Free Member

Grum, no, because its a completely different context.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/special-pleading

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

And there we go again. Don’t use those links if you don’t know what they mean.

It’s not special pleading, its actually different.

grum
    Free Member

It isn’t different at all. You just want it to be.

Sancho
    Free Member

cheerleaders are totally acceptable and I think David is simply following his instincts, nothing wrong with checking out how a woman looks, its natural

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

cheerleaders are totally acceptable and I think David is simply following his instincts, nothing wrong with checking out how a woman looks, its natural

Agreed. It goes both ways…

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

I aint gonna read all that,but i will say if your a normal male and you dont like looking at girls your a liar

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Actually grum, your logicalfallacy ‘accusation’ is both incorrect and a strawman.

Bingo.

Do you honestly not see the difference between responding to a published article, writing the article in the first place, and asking for someone to stop doing something legal?

grum
    Free Member

You should stop using words when you don’t understand what they mean.

It’s really pointless arguing with someone who thinks its ok to make things up and pretend people have said things they haven’t.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

I honestly don’t know how to react. 😆

Perhaps you should ask some sort of teacher of logic for some lessons?

aracer
    Free Member

But dan, you’re suggesting such articles should be banned.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

I see what you did there. But unfortunately I’m not.

So that strawman you set up just burned down.

Try again.

Junkyard
    Free Member

because its a completely different context

Its a response to the same thing. I fail to see how you wish to argue the context is different but lets see you try.

Don’t use those links if you don’t know what they mean.

Ah back to this shit then 😕

say if your a normal male and you dont like looking at girls your a liar

Steady there testosterone man I might just be not “normal” 🙄

Perhaps you should ask some sort of teacher of logic for some lessons?

OK its deffo trolling BS I am sure you will get afew more pages from folk with this pater

aracer
    Free Member

Well you’re calling for self censorship, which is exactly the same thing

aracer
    Free Member

My understanding of motorsport is irrelevant. Your argument appears to be that the fanbase liking something makes it acceptable and all other measures of acceptability are irrelevant – correct me if I’m wrong.

comt to a mx race, or enduro, or track days, or rally, rallycross, etc etc
    you will see the target market for the calendar

Well quite, which is why I thought it worth exploring why the promotion of stuff at such events is sexist.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Did you hear the one about the magic tractor?

It went down the road and turned into a field ! 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

The flip side is that allowing a vocal objection to affect what can and cannot be published and effect self censorship somehow isn’t of concern. They seem very similar arguments in structure to me.

Ok so you’re thinking that the complainers here are trying to bully people into stopping doing things that they like?

Is that why you think it’s bad?

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

No, again I’m not. If thats whats got your goat then you’ve wasted 29 pages of internet.

I’m not asking her not to say anything. Shes is perfectly entitled to her opinion. I don’t agree with her opinion and thought it was so polemic and OTT that it deserved a bit of a balanced response.

She on the other hand, and I’ll repeat this, again, is asking for for someone to stop doing/saying/publishing something for an indefinite period.

aracer
    Free Member

I thought she wanted to ban it?

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok but aside from the article, and onto calendars and smut in general – what should feminists say?

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Molgrips – i’m arguing against
    1. censorship
    2. what I perceive as a completely over the top response to a charity calendar which i don’t think the author has even set eyes on

I also seem to be in a running battle with a number of people who have taken offence far too easily (like the author IMO) about god knows what.

Some others I seem to be having a sensible conversation with…

Junkyard
    Free Member

I don’t agree with her opinion and thought it was so polemic and OTT that it deserved a bit of a balanced response.

I admire your noble aims but, on balance, you have failed abysmally* at this

* Not to be confused with supporting you 😉

I also seem to be in a running battle with a number of people who have taken offence far too easily (like the author IMO) about god knows what.

Oh let me help you then

1. You keep making things up- offence for example or banning or bullying.
    2. You then deny making them up – see bullying
    3. you use english words in way not used in the dictionary
    4. you make up arguments and ignore the people pointing out you made them up
    5. you then fail, deliberately i assume, to grasp the simple points of logic being made
    6. you then use said points to incorrectly attack others.
    7. you think you are being balanced in all this

HTH

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

a balanced response.

😆

That would be both knuckles dragging on the ground.

/bully.

mefty
    Free Member

what should feminists say?

Depends what type of feminists they are.

aracer
    Free Member

HTH

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok so censorship is the *authorities* stopping you from saying something. The author can’t do that, cos she’s not in a position of authority.

I can ask you not to say something, but I can’t censor you. Let’s just clear that up. This is NOT about censorship, because the government or law is not involved. Ok?

So tell me again – what should a feminist do when they disagree with a publication?

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Molgrips – she and feminists can say whatever she/they like(s)! The language used in the article is as if maxxis tried to force her into a recycled tyre g string and offer her as a trophy at the dunstable downhill cup.

What should someone who disagrees with her opinion say?

chip
    Free Member

I don’t want to censor Adele, I just disagree with her or believe her.
    She worked in an industry for years that exploited young woman, telling would be fashion models if they had more meat than a butchers pencil they were no good. Parties where the newest young models would be introduced to rich preditary older men. An industry that promoted and enforced the body image that you had to be stick thin,leading to probably thousand of young woman developing eating disorders.
    I believe the industry she worked in to be more damaging than any calender.

I don’t believe her bike tyres make her feel stupid, make her stupid.
    I think she should do a regular column called “things that make me stupid” it could run and run.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well you could say “well I thought she came on a bit strong there, she might have a point or might not”

You seemed to go quite a lot further than that, and you appeared to be defending something that is sexist, and you denied it was sexist.

aracer
    Free Member

I recommend misrepresenting everything she says in order to make your argument more effective.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The language used in the article is as if maxxis tried to force her into a recycled tyre g string and offer her as a trophy at the dunstable downhill cup.

Is this “straw man” your “balanced response” ?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Shouldn’t it be a strawperson and not strawman?
    Sexism everywhere. 😥

scotroutes

Careful, you’re playing the (wo)man and not the ball.

Maybe there should be a separate thread discussing the plausibility of the author rather than the calendar itself?

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

We’ve done the censorship bit.

She is asking for self-censorship. Which is de-facto censorship. Which is a problem when there are significant minorities who’s voices may not be heard. See sunni/shia tensions in iraq/iran etc for one example.

aracer
    Free Member

I have to admit I hadn’t realised self-censorship was such a problem in the middle east. Those minorities choosing not to voice their opinions – can we force them to?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 1,437 total)

The topic ‘That Maxxis "babes calendar" article…’ is closed to new replies.