Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Text scam
  • woody2000

My normally sensible OH has partly fallen for a text scam (nhs “passport”). She got as far as entering her personal info (name, dob, address etc) but then was asked for bank details and she smelt a rat.  So, assuming they have collected her personal info, what to expect next? I’ve suggested she changes her passwords, anything else to be doing?

scuttler

Were ‘security questions’ / answers supplied? Deffo change passwords where possible and enable MFA (assume you know what that is) where possible

CountZero

what to expect next?

Probably a spam shitstorm!

Cougar

Define “etc”. Without knowing exactly what she’s given away it’s impossible to answer.

corroded
    Free Member

My sister has just fallen for this too this evening. Entered name, address and NI number but nothing more. What’s the worst that can happen with that info (plus presumably mobile number and email address)?

Cougar

but nothing more.

(plus presumably mobile number and email address)?

Which is it? See my post directly above yours.

tjagain

It nearly got me.  I too got as far as entering my name and address ( I think) but nothing more fortunately Nothing has come of it.

corroded
    Free Member

@Cougar, NI number and email address and mobile number.

woody2000

She entered her name, dob, email address, address and phone number. I am also expecting a shit storm of spam, hopefully that’s it though. Daft thing is, she’s an NHS physio so I would have expected her to recognise that it wasn’t genuine.

Cougar

NI is a tricky one. I’ll have to think about that.

Out of the gate, they have enough information for a convincing follow-up phishing email. We’re told, for instance, that Paypal will always address you by name and any saying “dear customer” are fake. They can now spoof an email starting with her real name to try and legitimise it. I would suggest being hyper-aware that she cannot trust the usually-recommended tells. (I’d suggest you never can, but here we are.)

One risk here may be identity fraud – someone pretending to be her to, say, apply for a credit card. Signing up to Credit Karma to watch for weirdness might be prudent. I’m not immediately seeing as there’s much else she can do proactively?

Cougar

Daft thing is, she’s an NHS physio so I would have expected her to recognise that it wasn’t genuine.

In all honesty I wouldn’t blame her for that regardless of who she is. It’s easily done.

dyna-ti

Solution is never sign into anything via your email.

Got to the actual website and log in there. Thankfully in ebay at least, you can access a direct link to payal from your ebay account.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.