Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 168 total)
  • Tesco
  • Nick

Which matters more, shareholder value or social responsibility?

It would seem pretty self evident that most companies are more interested in profit over the impact they may have on society, but after reading this

Tesco want to open as store in Machynlleth

I'm convinced that they do not give a shit about the damage they are doing to society and that it appears the planning process is easily manipulated in their favour, it's pretty depressing really.

BillyWhizz
    Free Member

"shareholder value or social responsibility"

lol – you're not seriously asking this?
    Duh.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It's a business. Its business is to identify areas for growth. Don't like it? I suggest you start growing your own and never shop in a chain of any sort!

MrAgreeable

As Billywhizz says, all very much stating the obvious, but it's depressing that they are doing this in Machynlleth, it's a lovely place with real character. And despite being a tiny place it has one decent sized supermarket already.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

A new supermarket in a decent sized town? It'll never catch on……

MrAgreeable

Peter, Mach has a population of 2100 according to that article. A bustling metropolis it is not.

Terrydactyl

It is business, and in the end they will probabaly win. We have just lost our local pub, probabaly because of cheap booze at supermarkets.
    No pubs, no shops, no post office………….no community.
    "tesco land" do we really want it?
    I for one am seriously considering growing my own and no longer shopping in chain stores.

saxabar
    Free Member

As a member of the middle classes who can afford to shop where I like I tend towards cultural preservation and protecting against corporate influence. On the other hand, why should the vocal minority of the town get to dictate who can and cannot trade there? If the majority of the town's inhabitants don't like it, it will be Tesco who lose out.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Peter, Mach has a population of 2100 according to that article. A bustling metropolis it is not.

No, but the point of superstores is they serve the surrounding community, not that they're limited TO the town they are in!

probabaly because of cheap booze at supermarkets.

What a load of tripe, it's probably because most of the younger generation prefer clubs to pubs and most of the older generation dont like standing outside to smoke. Add to that the fact that we're in an economic downturn and people dont go out as much, is it fair to blame the supermarket? I think not!

However I agree, supermarkets mean a loss of community in some cases. There's still a thriving community and shops where I live, and its less than 2 miles from 3 different supermarkets.

igm

Don't like it? Don't shop there. Your only real option.

But they're betting most of you will shop there.

uplink
    Free Member

I quite like their pizzas

🙂

MrAgreeable

No, but the point of superstores is they serve the surrounding community, not that they're limited TO the town they are in!

Again, the Dyfi Valley is not the most densely populated area in the UK. Take the tourists out of the equation and it's probably one of the least.

Nick

lol – you're not seriously asking this?

I'm not asking Tesco no, I'm asking you lot.

Don't like it? I suggest you start growing your own and never shop in a chain of any sort!

Is that the answer though?

If the majority of the town's inhabitants don't like it, it will be Tesco who lose out.

Have you read the article, or looked at the links George provides? Tesco have massive clout that the council appears unable (or unwilling) to fight against, the cost of fighting an appeal could bankrupt them!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Again, the Dyfi Valley is not the most densely populated area in the UK. Take the tourists out of the equation and it's probably one of the least.

I know it well, but take a 5-10 mile radius and you have more than enough people to keep a supermarket alive, plus the tourists in summer to boost profits.

Nick

you have more than enough people to keep a supermarket alive

but not much else 🙁

aP
    Free Member

I haven't shopped in a "Shop formerly owned by Dame Shirley Porter" for more than 5 years because I don't like their business practices.
    That is all I have to say.

Terrydactyl

People are sheep and selfish…………..they will all go to the new Tesco to get acces to loads of stuff at lower prices without considering the eventual effect on their community.

saxabar
    Free Member

Yep, I read the article. My question is: what is the perspective of the silent majority?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It's a business. Its business is to identify areas for growth

100% with that comment. Does anyone think Tesco (or any other major retailer) just randomly pick nice places to open shops? No they don't, they have people that work out footfalls, projected growths and all that malarky.

If any individuals don't like paying lower prices for a wider range of goods, then they can shop at the existing shops. It is quite perplexing that people would not want a greater freedom of choice.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Tesco have their hand in everything, they undercut and rip off farmers and land owners, put small businesses out of work, and cause countless other problems, and the adverts with out of work actors are highly annoying. But they made over a £billion last year IIRC, so they're really not bothered.

We still all shop there at times though.

Nick

I think replacing the 'Superstore' signs with alternatives that show where you can find a butcher or baker would be a good thing.

DaveGr
    Free Member

Which matters more, shareholder value or social responsibility?

They're a public listed company that is out to make as much money for it's shareholders as it possibly can. Any moral or social responsibility is only going to be done if it doesn't impact on the bottom line. Much the same as most if not all companies (there will be of course some exceptions). E.g in supermarkets case they like to be seen to be giving a better deal to farmers but in reality it's ensuring their supply chain. Free buses so people can get to the shop if they haven't got a car or don't want to use one? Of course, will driving past the boarded up local shops.

I now shop at the Co-op as it is within walking distance and they have a better moral stance towards farmers etc. than the big boys. From memory I think there's a Co-op in Mach.

IMO you won't beat the big boys at planning. They'll quite happily buy up land to stop any rivals setting up and have much more money, people etc. who's job it is to get things done.

Many years ago there used to be lots of suppliers / farmers and lots of distributors (shops, markets etc.) Now the number of distributors has fallen dramatically so that the big multinational companies hold all the power. Shop local and shop small. Boycott Tescos, Asda etc.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

without considering the eventual effect on their community.

I would rather consider the eventual effect on my wallet.

Nick

If any individuals don't like paying lower prices for a wider range of goods, then they can shop at the existing shops. It is quite perplexing that people would not want a greater freedom of choice.

How does the complete homogenisation of our towns create greater freedom of choice?

What about the net reduction in jobs?

What about the increased reliance on the car?

What about increased food miles as stuff is take to central distribution points before being returned, often to a location only a few miles from it's origin?

What about the scorched earth impact on our town centres and the social cohesion that a lack of personal contact creates (do you chat to your fellow customers in a superstore, I can never remember doing so but it happens all the time in small shops, especially the butchers for some reason).

TheTerrier
    Free Member

They've already wrapped up butchers, bakers, greengrocers, florists, etc. All by undercutting their prices, once the local competition has gone, the prices creep back up. They've pretty much done it to the computer gaming market (a friend of mine owned a games store), they've got their sights set on the electronics market (a trade I've just pulled out of), and now we hear ASDA are doing cheap bikes at no profit, even admitting so! The supermarkets have too much power. Once the independants have all gone we'll be at the mercy of the chains

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I now shop at the Co-op

There are three Co-ops within walking distance of my house. They are all rubbish (local staffing problems I would say) – faulty freezers leaking on floors, half-emptied stock trolleys blocking the aisles, incorrectly shelved goods, always out of stock of the one thing I have gone in for, never enough staff on the tills.

Nick

I'd rather have a society in which my family can thrive

aP
    Free Member

Fortunately we're not all like you.

MrAgreeable

take a 5-10 mile radius and you have more than enough people to keep a supermarket alive,

It already has a supermarket.

It is quite perplexing that people would not want a greater freedom of choice.

IME that isn't what Tesco offer. In my local Tesco Express they have a big range of pre-packed salad, but if you want to buy a lettuce, fuhgeddaboudit.

This type of marketing strategy applies across the board – e.g. you can buy inner tubes for way cheaper than your LBS sells them, but they aren't ever going to replace it – although they might help to put it out of business. 😐

TheTerrier
    Free Member

People are sheep and selfish…………..they will all go to the new Tesco to get acces to loads of stuff at lower prices without considering the eventual effect on their community.

Hit the nail on the head there, what can the selfless do but dispair?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

How does the complete homogenisation of our towns create greater freedom of choice?

I am talking about freedom of choice for the products bought.

What about increased food miles as stuff is take to central distribution points before being returned, often to a location only a few miles from it's origin?

Which is worse? One mega shop carting huge lorry loads in one go or 100 little shops all going separately to their own suppliers/having goods delivered independantly of each other?

Basically my point is – if the local population doesn't like the store, it will fail and it will close. I am pretty confident that a large enough proportion will like the freedom that such a store brings to go to one destination in one car in one go to buy everything in one go, rather than going to lots of different shops to get things. I really don't see how a store will create a greater reliance on cars, if anything it will reduce it.

IdleJon

So you believe the self serving lie that supermarkets give wider choice at lower prices? Proof that people will believe things if you say them often enough.

If you actually look at an established Tesco store you'll see the range of choice becomes quite narrow and prices start going up once the competition has been extinguished.

How can you have a wider choice of goods when the shop in question is trying to sell everything you could possibly want?

toby1

They are in the process of opening their 15th and 16th stores in and around Cambridge, soon you'll never be more than 3 feet away from a tesco store!

TheTerrier
    Free Member

My best mate's like this, has no apathy for people doing they're job in independants getting raped by the big boys. They have food to put on the table too, who cares if chainreactioncycles.com are 11% cheaper? Get friendly with your LBS and they'll give you 10% off, if they don't at least you have a small LBS communtity where if you have a problem you've got some free advice.

Thing that makes me laugh though is he used to get really angry at people who'd buy a house bypassing the Estate Agent to save on fees, funnily enough, he was an estate agent himself!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I will go miles out of my way TO SHOP AT TESCO this weekend just because it's that c*** Monboit. I'd have more time for TJ or RB's oppinions than that man.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Quite clearly there is a majority that are. I do not see the sense in buying bog paper at £6 a pack just to keep some little shop in business when I can get it for £4 a pack from a supermarket. Where is the sense in that? I really do not understand how there can be any sane justification to do so.

MrAgreeable

if the local population doesn't like the store, it will fail and it will close.

I'm pretty sure that as a whole, Tesco's profits are enough to take a hit for the first few years on one store, before they can undercut the other businesses to death.

Nick

Unfortunatley, especially right now, a lot of people are like this.

We have a co-op in the town where we do most of our shopping (Wem, Nth Shropshire), doesn't suffer any of the problems Fanyloin hsa experienced, but I do have an issue with them not stocking much local produce and I'm sure they are the reason there is now only 1 butcher left in the town.

aP
    Free Member

I like my local shop, so I buy things there. Have you noticed that when you go to a supermarket that you end up buying loads of shit that you never really wanted? When I go to my local shop I get what I want not what some marketter wants me to buy.
    As an example of how other people view things not just in terms of pounds, shillings and pence – the shop in Peaslake that all t'cyclists go to is mostly supported by local residents who pay to keep it open as a community and visitor resource instead of letting it go to the wall – they must be idiots, but there's a shed load of people who're very pleased that the locals do this.

MrAgreeable

I do not see the sense in buying bog paper at £6 a pack just to keep some little shop in business when I can get it for £4 a pack from a supermarket. Where is the sense in that?

Is that really a significant drain on your income? You must **** like a four-assed monkey. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘Tesco’ is closed to new replies.