Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 160 total)
  • Terminator II
  • kimbers

Pigface – Member
    Vasquex in Aliens is Connors foster mum in T2 bit of Trivia for you.

shes also in Near Dark along with Bishop and Hudson which was directed by Katherine Bigalow, who was James Camerons then wife

also Brakes mentioned Star Trek 2009 being a good film
    NO, you need you deserve a self slapping session- see from 25 secs in
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qSVb9bQeqM[/video]

the star trek reboot had no soul, Wrath of Kahn on the other hand………

another issue I have with T2 is that because arnies temrinator was a pop phenomenon by then, it was aimed at a lower age group (was only a 15) so from massacarring every cop in the police station in T1, by T2 hes shooting police with grenades and a minigun but not actually killing them in an A-Team style.

brakes
    Free Member

also Brakes mentioned Star Trek 2009 being a good film
    NO, you need you deserve a self slapping session- see from 25 secs in

whilst comparisons are unavoidable especially with all the character remoulds, it was made 27 years later than Wrath of Khan. things have moved on, it’s a different kind of movie. I like it.

Drac

Star Trek reboots are excellent.

johndoh
    Free Member

another issue I have with T2 is that because arnies temrinator was a pop phenomenon by then, it was aimed at a lower age group (was only a 15) so from massacarring every cop in the police station in T1, by T2 hes shooting police with grenades and a minigun but not actually killing them in an A-Team style.

Wasn’t that because Arnie refused to do it if he was killing people again? A bit like Alien 3 – Sigourny Weaver refused to do it if there were guns so the contrived the plot where she could kill the Alien without them.

Cougar

Biggest mistake they made with Alien Cubed was killing off Newt rather than ageing her by a dozen years.

molgrips
    Free Member

The new Star Treks are decent enough films, I thought. Never really liked the old ones.

But the white Khan is a bit of a booboo.

johndoh
    Free Member

Watched some of the first of the new ones last night – surprised at how much of it I had forgotten. Quite enjoyed it but bed was beckoning.

nickc

Odd numbered Alien, even numbered Star Trek

Generally true

Drac

Wasn’t that because Arnie refused to do it if he was killing people again? A bit like Alien 3 – Sigourny Weaver refused to do it if there were guns so the contrived the plot where she could kill the Alien without them.

Or it’s part of the plot line.

johndoh
    Free Member

Or it’s part of the plot line.

Or the plot line was written around the star’s instructions?

SB: Did you have any say about there not being any guns?
    SW: I think I said no to guns, but it wasn’t up to me to dictate those kind of things, but to me it was more original to investigate what real courage is. Which is when you don’t have any weapons and you cannot even get along with each other, how do you go about fighting this common enemy?

From here – so it seems she was asking, but not specifically refusing.

Or this

Also Alien 3 begins Weaver having way more control and say over the script and story. James Cameron talks on the commentary for “Aliens” that Sigourney Weaver had three rules for doing “Aliens”

1. No Guns

2. Ripley needed to have sex or some form of sexual encounter with the Alien

3. Ripley had to die.

Cameron laughed and said “I didn’t do anything of those things.” Cameron also said of Alien 3 “Well, I guess Sigourney got to make the Alien film she always wanted to.” Though Alien 3 lacks and “Sex with the alien” Alien 4 doesn’t. BUT Alien 3 has no guns, and Ripley dies. So how is Alien 3? With all the problems, lack of purpose, to many cooks in the kitchen and no script? Honestly… not that bad.

Drac

So wanted for part of the plot?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

T2, by turns its the best action film made, the set pieces are just grand, and I’m with Cougar on the truck/bike/storm drain scene. Awesomeness.

However, mini John Connor does suck donkey balls.

johndoh
    Free Member

The point being she didn’t want to use guns so they wrote the plot around her requirements.

nickc

Considering all the issues surrounding it, a million rewrites, filming starting before the final script was ready, a studio determined to eff about with the film, and a million and one other issues that are well documented, on the whole alien 3 isn’t too bad a film, propped up largely by actors ( as opposed to movie stars)

Still, better than 2

johndoh
    Free Member

T2, by turns its the best action film made, the set pieces are just grand, and I’m with Cougar on the truck/bike/storm drain scene. Awesomeness.

The whole first part of the film is great, starting on the motorbike and the cut scenes with GnR blaring out throughout 😈

Drac

The point being she didn’t want to use guns so they wrote the plot around her requirements.

As NickC mentions the whole thing was a mess for various reasons the directors cut makes for a much better film.

johndoh
    Free Member

As NickC mentions the whole thing was a mess for various reasons the directors cut makes for a much better film.

Quite possibly. I think I have only seen it once or twice (although I do have it at home in my Bluray box set).

And no matter what they did in subsequent films, they were never going to better the closing scenes of the original. 😈

gonzy
    Free Member

However, mini John Connor does suck donkey balls.

that bit is true and the only downside to the movie….he is supposed to be portraying Sarah Connor’s 10 year old son…the most irritating fag smoking, cross bike riding and cash machine hacking 10 year old… 😯

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Anyway, all this cameron-a-thon aside, Jackie Chan made the best action films. Mainly by actually hanging off helicopters, jumping motorbikes onto a train, and falling off busses. Comic, and utterly awesome.

Drac

Apart from the awe at his stunts Jacke Chan’s films are bloody awful.

Jondoh if it’s the blu-Ray box set that was on offer last year then that’s the one, the cut of Alien 4 is also much better.

molgrips
    Free Member

Jackie Chan filims are great. I generally laugh a lot.

johndoh
    Free Member

Jondoh if it’s the blu-Ray box set that was on offer last year then that’s the one, the cut of Alien 4 is also much better.

Yeah that’s the one. Loved the extended scenes in the original most of all.

Cougar

I got the Blu-ray and re-watched all four Alien movies as (ironically) a precursor to going and seeing Prometheus. A few things I noted.

1) The transfer of all four is superb. They’ve done a brilliant job of restoring and remastering, Alien is a 1979 movie and it looks (and sounds) like it was made last week.

2) Alien^3 is as crushingly disappointing as I remember.

3) Resurrection, whilst not a great movie by any means, is far better than I remember.

brakes
    Free Member

and Prometheus?

Cougar

Can open, worms everywhere.

Prometheus is frustrating I think, because it felt like inside there is a good movie trying to get out. What ruined it for me (other than playing fast & loose with the Alien lifecycle) was the sheer stupidity of the majority of the “expert” crew.

If they’d had some sort of plot device that said “yeah, we picked this lot because they’re all expendable idiots and we don’t want to bring back survivors” it’d make a lot more sense (and foreshadow Burke’s actions in Aliens).

(Is it still foreshadowing if it’s in a prequel made after the original? Aftshadowing? Oh, I don’t know.)

GrahamS

Also, why can’t they make a good Alien vs Predator movie?

Seriously. How hard can it be?

johndoh
    Free Member

Seriously. How hard can it be?

Pretty tough because they are both ‘baddies’ and there has to be human interest too, so how do they balance it all up?

It was easy in things like King Kong v Godzilla because King Kong was the hero. I don’t think they have managed that with the AVP franchise.

nickc

3) Resurrection, whilst not a great movie by any means, is far better than I remember.

You were right the first time. It’s shitty. The ” baby” monster is shitty, and the casting is shitty.

GrahamS

Yeah I can see the issues, but the comics and fan-fic apparently manage it okay.

One nice suggestion is that the Aliens were genetically created as the perfect prey for Predators to hunt.
    Not sure if they worked that into any of the dire films or not, but seems like that could form a nice angle.

johndoh
    Free Member

One nice suggestion is that the Aliens were genetically created as the perfect prey for Predators to hunt.
    Not sure if they worked that into any of the dire films or not, but seems like that could form a nice angle.

Yeah, the thing I struggled with was, if they were trying to kick each other’s arses, why were the humans in the middle of it all. It’s a bit like if a tiger was in the middle of a fight with a lion, would one of them go out of their way to kill a human? Perhaps if the human stood in between them both, but they wouldn’t would they.

I am thinking about all this too much aren’t I?

pondo

Apart from the awe at his stunts Jacke Chan’s films are bloody awful.

Drac

Oh dear I completely misread the title of the book.

piemonster

Pretty tough because they are both ‘baddies’ and there has to be human interest too, so how do they balance it all up?

As enticing as a three way might seem. It takes skill to deliver the goods with little room for error to avoid at least one going home disappointed.

PrinceJohn

Pretty much sums up what’s wrong with Prometheus…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLbcZggwVCw[/video]

Regarding Aliens Vs Predator –

A film without people in would never get made, it’d need some sort of human angle to get through the hollywood system, also not sure I’d want to watch a film with no human interest – I must admit, I quite liked Predators…

samuri
    Free Member

Back to the OP…..

linda hamiltons character is interesting and she plays it well

Now I appreciate I may be a little out on my own here but…
    When she escapes from her cell, cans the guards and then is running down the corridor……She is absolutely as fit as any woman that ever existed. That run…ooooooooooooooh.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

One of the sexiest film moments ever.

Hello? Hello?

piemonster

I’m not with you there

samuri
    Free Member

oh.

hh45
    Free Member

What about Total Recall? The original obviously.

a young Sharon Stone?

“Quaid!!”

“two weeks”

T2 H2 dragged on a bit whilst TR held together throughout I think.

nickc

Pretty much sums up what’s wrong with Prometheus…

Hmmm, I use “understanding the plot and un-answered questions that prometheus proposes” as a ‘B’ ark criteria question.

I think it’s misunderstood, and people have got used to Hollywood serving them answers to films in big flashing neon signs, when none of those are forthcoming, and you leave a cinema with questions, people tend to presume it’s crap….Either that or I’m easily pleased.

Drac

I agree NickC I think people wanted it to give them the answer outright but it didn’t partly because it’s not the full story. I’m watching it now.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Terminator II’ is closed to new replies.