Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 160 total)
  • Terminator II
  • nickc

because it’s not the full story.

exactly, even a cursory glance at the fake Wayland web sites and advertising for David 8, and the Ted talk done by the man himself answers a load of stuff. People don’t bother, don’t get the full story, don’t get the references, and bingo…crap movie

god, I sound nerdy

piemonster

I agree NickC I think people wanted it to give them the answer outright but it didn’t partly because it’s not the full story. I’m watching it now.

To be honest, I find a lot of these drawn out multi part films (and tv shows) to be little more than cynical money exercises stretched out at the expense of the films integrity.

Look at ‘Lost’ ffs, and The Hobbit for that matter. Don’t get me wrong, I’m prepared to engage in a long story, but it needs to work as a long story. And not just be dull contrived tripe milking a cash cow.

Personal opinion of course. And drifting OT.

Cougar

exactly, even a cursory glance at the fake Wayland web sites and advertising for David 8, and the Ted talk done by the man himself answers a load of stuff. People don’t bother, don’t get the full story, don’t get the references, and bingo…crap movie

I think you just described Donnie Darko.

nickc

never seen it, or may have done, as I always seem to come in half way through, or leave it halfway through…whatever.

good film?

nickc

To be honest, I find a lot of these drawn out multi part films

Piemonster, the really sad thing is that the plot of Prometheus is elegant in it’s simplicity, and the question is right there, all it doesn’t do is answer it for you, just invites you to think a bit…Through the medium of really violent DNA shifting mutant Xenomorphs, and giant space alien religious engineering nutbags

What could be more satisfying

RustySpanner

good film?

Well, it’s better than Aliens.

Mind you, the film version of Are You Being Served? is better than Aliens, so not saying much…..

Cougar

good film?

Point was more that it’s one that only really makes a jot of sense when you’ve visited the web site, read all the supporting materials…

I’m kinda torn on this. I’m all for films being enriched by “multimedia” and tie-in websites can be a lot of fun, but when a film needs a book or website or some such in order to actually explain what’s going on then really that’s a failure of the film. There’s enigmatic and there’s impenetrable.

Take Memento. That’s a proper noodle-baking movie the first time you see it; but there’s enough info in the film for you to untangle everything. Ok, it’ll probably take you a dozen viewings, but it’s all there. Can the same be said of Prometheus? I’m not sure.

pondo

Take Memento. That’s a proper noodle-baking movie the first time you see it; but there’s enough info in the film for you to untangle everything.

Now that’s a fantastic film.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I find myself agreeing with Cougar a lot, lately.

Prometheus was, in general, promising, but failed to deliver, had the “accept stupid things” level raised too high (rolling spaceship squashing the lady who doesn’t understand right angles, aliens that grow massively without eating a single breadcrumb, we could go on), and really, if you need to read a book to understand it, then it doesnt stand up as a film. Ridley Scott has made some great films but this was an ambitious mess.

Memento was excellent. Much like the rest of Nolan’s output.

nickc

Cougar,
    I agree, and Prometheus does suffer a bit from this, and there is a measure of “buy the DVD, all the answers are there” sales pitch going on….

But you can get it from the film, all those sources I went to look at after I’d seen the film, just to back up and confirm what I’d understood ( or not, like most I went out going, “eh”? )

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Prometheus had countless moments of crap film-making and there were (apparently) moments of subtlety which take time to recognise.

Unfortunately, as a result of the first I’m not even remotely interested in the second.

Pigface
    Free Member

I liked Prometheus but it seemed to of been edited really badly and quickly, there was a scene between Vickers and Janek that was obviously longer but had been hacked so badly it made no sense at all. I am no fan bois so dont know if there is going to be a directors cut which will fill out the story some more.

Still liked the film.

JCL
    Free Member

Prometheus was visually stunning but the plot and script was detritus.

Even my future wife Charlize couldn’t save it.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Shame it wasnt what it was meant to be

Cougar

I am no fan bois so dont know if there is going to be a directors cut which will fill out the story some more

Last I heard, the studio had asked for a Director’s Cut and Scott said no. Dunno if that’s still the case.

kimbers

Prometheus was brought down by the clunky pseudo religious bollox that was tacked on and the re-working of the story to turn it into the 1st of a trilogy during the re-writes by Damon ‘lost’ Lindelof
    not to mention some rather unbelievable actions of the characters

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

to turn it into the 1st of a trilogy

Holy unnecessary cash-cow-ing, Batman!

There’s a pair of films that didn’t need to be planned.

nickc

Prometheus was brought down by the clunky pseudo religious bollox that was tacked on

The religious aspect of the film was a) mostly the point, and b) in there right from the get go.

D0NK

bit late to the party but

Hell, even Die Hard 2 is awesomeness.

Get. Out.

I think you just described Donnie Darko.

or donnie head **** as my mate called it, was a proper weird to watch then I checked the website and ooooooh!

Take Memento. That’s a proper noodle-baking movie the first time you see it; but there’s enough info in the film for you to untangle everything. Ok, it’ll probably take you a dozen viewings, but it’s all there.

a dozen viewings? hmm I thought it was only a couple of steps up in complexity from pulp fiction, I’d have thought just a couple (or find the easter egg on the dvd that lets you watch it in chronological order) Cracking film tho very cleverly done.

GrahamS

Seems lots of people are keen to explain Prometheus in various ways:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7CChfYoO_I[/video]
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpEx7pdp2-Q[/video]
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u94wR0NfewE[/video]

johndoh
    Free Member

Take Memento.

If I got a penny for every time I have said to my wife ‘have we seen Memento?’, I’d have £5.63.

nickc

Making the joke about whether you can/can’t remember if you’ve seen momento….also B ark criteria 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

I know, I know. But I still catch my wife out with it 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

And 10 bonus points for where I paraphrased the joke from…

mmannerr

Prometheus fans seem to think that underlying themes were lost on most watchers. No, there was just too much of stupid action by nearly all characters which drowned all the good ideas.

Simple stupid 80’s and 90’s action flicks have their place – bad guys get always hurt which is not the case in real life anymore. 🙁

back2basics
    Free Member

getting away from ridley’s nut job of a movie….

terminator TV series and 3 new movies as part for a reboot – somehow a timeline split at some point in the original movie,

what do YOU want to see?

WackoAK
    Free Member

No, there was just too much of stupid action by nearly all characters which drowned all the good ideas.

^^^THIS, as soon as the idiots removed their helmets it was all downhill from there.

terminator TV series

The Sarah Connor Chronicles were very good, just a shame it was canned.

GrahamS

somehow a timeline split at some point in the original movie,

No need the Terminator timeline is constantly split.

Pigface
    Free Member

More Chronicles = more Summer

back2basics
    Free Member

more summer = more dullard acting, yet it does mean, more summer 😀

cut from the T3 movie was why the T100 looks like Arnie (because a character in the T3 movie played by arnie was used to model the robot) Linky

Cougar

What’s this T100 of which you speak? Arnie was a T800 model 101.

back2basics
    Free Member

apologies, i got it wrong actually his full model is CSM-101 T800

GrahamS

Linky

That is awesome. Terrible. But awesome.

Drac

Love the people who use the woman running in a straight line from the ship was stupid. She wasn’t getting away from it as it was freaking huge then it rolled over. I also reckon she shit her pants and paniced. Who care picking on such details when you’ve got a life form that has sulphuric acid for blood seems silly.

Oh and the xenomorphd have always grown without eating.

GrahamS

Cameron does the “shooting up a police station but somehow not hurting anyone” bit:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g279AY4aLrg[/video]

kimbers

nickc – Member
    The religious aspect of the film was a) mostly the point, and b) in there right from the get g

the original script is definitely more of an alien prequel, many of the sillier actions of the characters actually make sense

and noomi rapaces character is a scientist rather than a woolly headed whatever

http://www.joblo.com/scripts/Alien-Engineers-ORIGINAL-PROMETHEUS-SCRIPT.pdf

nice comparison here

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/opinions/the-8-worst-parts-of-prometheus-explained-in-the-original-script-jsarg.php

Cougar

Love the people who use the woman running in a straight line from the ship was stupid.

If you were stood in the road and you suddenly saw a car approaching you at high speed, which direction would you run?

I stand by “stupid” here, I’m afraid.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Who care picking on such details when you’ve got a life form that has sulphuric acid for blood seems silly.

on the list already

Oh and the xenomorphd have always grown without eating.

so? still on the ‘too stupid’ list.

if that was about it, those two things, that would be an entirely manageable single serving sized suspension of disbelief, but Prometheus presented us with a whole smorgasbord of improbable, inexplicable, and downright impossible plot devices and characters

(and yes, I’m aware it was sci-fi)

Drac

If you were stood in the road and you suddenly saw a car approaching you at high speed, which direction would you run?

You’d be surprised how many panic and do nothing or get it wrong.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

E4. Tonight. 2100

That is all.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Terminator II’ is closed to new replies.