Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Tents! I’d appreciate some advice.
  • Vader
    Free Member

Not much to add that hasn’t already been said but yes, avoid Terra Nova/Wild Country. Warranty and customer back up is terrible, and you will probably need it. A great pity as the reverse was once the case.

Vango banshees I have seen in hurricane strength winds and they survived unscathed, impressive little tents for the money.

You can make a footprint out of an old orange survival bag.

Lots of tent pegs these days are awful and or useless so potentially budget for getting something a bit better. I carry my tent in two wee exped drybags, one for inner, one outer.They will be lighter than the stuff sack the tent came in and it stops the wet outer soaking the dry inner and you can whip the outer out quickly to dry off when you have a break. Lastly a jay cloth is handy to dry down the tent before packing, sucks up a fair bit of moisture.

Edit I just noticed how tall you are, you’re at the height where the length of the tent can become an issue. Be wary of tents that appear long enough in the specs but have quite slopey walls, they will potentially touch the foot of you sleeping bag which isn’t ideal. If you are on your own it’s less of a problem as you can sleep diagonally but with two its hard to avoid.

Sanny
    Free Member

So in the Singletrack tradition of being above budget, may one suggest …….

https://alpkit.com/collections/tents/products/jaran-2 ?

Personally, I prefer tents that pitch outer and inner together should you find yourself in pissing rain when you get to your campsite. Vango do make some cracking tents for the money though.  Not super light but impressive.

https://singletrackworld.com/2018/01/review-alpkit-ordos-2-tent-for-fun-with-a-friend/

Above are my thought on the Ordos 2 from Alpkit.

Below budget and a brilliant design is the tent below. It is a copy of the classic Saunders Spacepacker which is arguably THE classic lightweight tent. The design harks back to the eighties but it is a brilliant design in my experience. If it was me, I would go for this one. Do a bit of research on Bob Saunders. He was really ahead of his time.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Sanny

stox
    Free Member

Thanks Sanny. I think you’ve missed the link off your post?

One thing this post has made me realise is that I am pretty sure I’d prefer a tent that pitches inner and outer together.

It’s been a useful Thread with plenty of good recommendations.
    I keep swinging between ‘I think I’ll just order one of those’ to ‘or maybe that’d be better’ to ‘I’ll sleep on it a little longer’!

I appreciate everybody’s advice.

montgomery
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of tents like the Banshee and, while they’re good stayer-uppers, the flat roof means they suffer badly from condensation in calm, cool conditions.

All small tents will suffer from condensation to a certain extent, but shape makes a difference to how easy it is to manage.

CraigW
    Free Member

I’ve got an Alpkit Tetri and a Soloist. They are both nice tents, for quite reasonable prices. Tetri is a lot bigger, big enough for two, or spacious for one, decent porch. It is pretty sturdy, OK in a bit of wind and rain. I think it is quite nice for bicycle touring, maybe a bit bit big for a pannier, but can strap it on top of the rack.

Soloist is a lot smaller. About tall enough to sit up in, but quite narrow. And not much room in the porch. But packs a lot smaller, if you want to use it for backpacking/bikepacking etc. Worth buying it with the footprint (only £5 extra), that gives you more options for pitching it, ie outer first or outer only.

stox
    Free Member

I keep coming back to the Vango F10 Xenon tents that were mentioned earlier in the post.

There’s the Regular F10 UL2 and the 2+2 with the bigger porch area.

Go outdoors price match plus 10% discount so in theory I could get the regular F10 UL2 for £198 (its £220 on Amazon). Go outdoors price is £315.

The 2+2 I could get for £225 (it’s £250 in the link Matt_outandabout posted). Go outdoors price is £369.

I like the idea of the additional covered porch space but maybe that’s just a case of buying more than I actually need to when I’m trying to limit what I carry and not take anything particularly unnecessary.

I’m Pretty sure the standard UL2 would do just fine..

The only other that’s really caught my eye is the Alpkit Tetri.
    For the price it looks a good size. A little heavier but I’ll be rack and panniered.

stox
    Free Member

MSR seem to get a lot of love. I just admit I like the look of them but as you know, that’s where my expertise ends!

The Hubba is out of my budget but I have been reading reviews of the Elixir 2 and it’s more or less in the all park area that I’ve got up to with the budget.

It looks roomy. Good porch area. I like the layout. Looks to be about 2.7kg.

Inner needs pitching first so I guess that’s one downside. Am I missing anything else ?

https://www.elitemountainsupplies.co.uk/camping-trekking-c4/tents-bivi-c15/msr-tents-c63/msr-elixir-2-tent-grey-with-footprint-p748

matt_outandabout

£200 for a F10 Xenon UL2 is a bargain. I’m tempted!

Touring in wet weather, or to hide bike overnight, I’d get the porch version. Porches are ace.

Hiking in hills, mixed or shorter tours, the standard and save the 400g.

Sanny
    Free Member

https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF134.html

Sorry! Link to the tent I was talking about.

Within budget, light, proven design, plenty of interior storage space, pitches outer first – could be the winner!

tjagain

on extended porches. I love ’em even tho it will be adding a bit of weight. We are often ( under normal circumstances) out in the wilds for several days and being able to get under the flysheet but not in the inner with your waterproofs on and take the waterproofs off before opening the inner is great.

On out trekkertent it only added less than 100g. On our lightwave around 300g+

Sanny
    Free Member

Stox

That Vango is astonishing value for money. I used the non extended version for the adventure below. I think your choice is made. Buy it!!!!!!!!!

https://singletrackworld.com/2017/01/microadventuring-the-arctic-plateau-the-easy-way/

I might even get one myself at that price……..

stox
    Free Member

Checking with Go Outdoors if they’ll honour the discount then I’ll decide whether to go for the UL2 or not right now.

That MSR Elixir 2 has really caught my eye tho, I do like the look of it for a fraction more than the Vango.

Even the Elixir 1 looks pretty spacious compared to the other one man tents I’ve seen on my search.

hopster
    Free Member

Mentioned above. Six Moons Designs Solo

Review here

I know its a bit above the £200 limit and also requires pegs and pole. Super easy to pitch and light for the money, it’s also roomy too.

stox
    Free Member

Thanks @hopster. I like it but it just looks too minimalist for me. I might be wrong so feel free to correct me..

If Packing space was an absolute priority then it could Be an option but I imagine I will be strapping the tent to the rack so it’s not the be all And end all for me.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

That MSR Elixir 2 has really caught my eye tho, I do like the look of it for a fraction more than the Vango.

Gah, wish I hadn’t seen that now 😎

As a semi-geodesic style it looks quite like the old Vango Storm 200+ (and to a degree the later replacement – Halo 200 where they dropped the 1 X huge + 1 x small vestibule spaces for 2 x smaller ones)

Anyhow, Storm 200+ was (still is) the best tent I’ve every used for minimalist car-camping/weekends – especially if the weather turns shitty.

Alas, both the Storm 200+ and the Halo were/are too bulky and heavy for 1 person on a bike (unless using a trailer). Shame, as the storm is such a liveable tent in the vilest weather, with enough vestibule space for cooking a brew and storing pretty much everything under cover (even bike/s if you sacrifice one exit/entrance to them). If it was 2.5kg I’d need only one tent.

That Elixir looks to be very similar in layout to the old Vango Storm 200 and Halo 200

(Discontinued)Vango Storm 200+:

Vango Halo Pro 200:

MSR Elixir 2

Now – the Elixir 2 (like the Storm 200) is inner-pitch first (The Halo* IIRC can pitch either outer first or all in one as an option) which usually makes for a really stable setup.

*Like the Cairngorm, the flysheet can be erected by itself, leaving the inner at home can be a great lightweight bivi option in dry weather.

Damn. I like that Elixir at first look.

stox
    Free Member

Good to hear that @malvern rider.

Having seen the inside of the Elixir 1 I am tempted by that. Enough room for me and some gear plus a decent little porch area.
    It’d be further down the line I may want to accommodate a second person so I could just cross that bridge when I got to it.

stox
    Free Member

Just to bring some kind of closure to this thread – I pushed the button and ordered an MSR Elixir 1. It cost me £173 so over the initial budget but within the £200 area of the other options I narrowed it down too.

Surprisingly I ordered the 1 Man but having seen the videos and reviews it looks like a good size for a one
    Man tent. it should house me and some gear and it has a good little porch area.

I suspect the 2 may have been a bit too big for me in terms of packed and actual tent space size.
    I’ll know later today if I made the wrong choice!

Should be delivered today so hopefully I’ll get it up today and check it Out before it pees down tomorrow.

Thank you all for your help. It’s appreciated.

I’ve not toured before but I’m plannning to do the coast and castles route over two nights. I’ve a few more bits to get together first (watch out for more advice requests!) then I’ll Probably do a Local single night as a trial run so when the campsites are open that will be the first test of the tent.

daern
    Free Member

I’ve not toured before but I’m plannning to do the coast and castles route over two nights. I’ve a few more bits to get together first (watch out for more advice requests!) then I’ll Probably do a Local single night as a trial run so when the campsites are open that will be the first test of the tent.

Really interested to hear how you get on. My son and I did coasts and castles with 3 nights, but used B&Bs and luggage forwarding (he was only 9 and didn’t want to be too ambitious!) but now he’s a bit older, it would be awesome to do again unsupported. It’s a cracking route and we thoroughly enjoyed it!

matt_outandabout

That’s a great tent @stox
    Enjoy – we need pics when you do!

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Tents! I’d appreciate some advice.’ is closed to new replies.