Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Tell me about CX Bars
  • tollah
    Free Member

I need some compact bars for my CX build, what I don’t know is how wide?? Can anyone recommend me some bars and give me an idea of how wide I need to go?

Ta

crikey
    Free Member

It depends is the honest answer.

Road/CX bars don’t really have a massive range; they tend to come in 38 (which is very narrow/small) through 40, 42, 44, with the vast majority being 42 or 44. there are wider bars, but the are less common.

Be aware that different manufacturers measure things differently; some are 42 outside to outside, some are 42 centre to centre.

To be honest, whatever bar you buy and get used to will be what you like best, then when you change to a wider bar you will feel ‘wrong’.

I’ve got FSA omega compacts on road and crosser, 40 c-to-c on road, 42 c-to-c on cross.

cynic-al
    Free Member

you mean cx in traditional racing cx or trail rigid bike with drop bars cx?

“wide” = 44cm c-c for traditional bars.

Proper bars like Salsa etc go way wider and aren’t shit off road.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered some Salsa Woodchippers for drop-bar off-road fun.

ourmaninthenorth

I ride 42cm on road, and now have 42cm on my CX bike (which is currently just for racing).

The bars are different from my road bars, so it’s not an ideal comparison, but they feel a touch narrow on the tops/hoods. Fine on the drops. Bars are cheapo FSA Vero.

tollah
    Free Member

Cheers for replying! Sounds like I’ll need to go 42 or 44 then as I want to ride it for off road fun. just wasn’t sure about the 38-44 thing, makes sence now!

rOcKeTdOg

46″ bell laps here 🙂

techsmechs
    Free Member

Well, this is a turn up for the books…. Didn’t think CX was your thing?

You need a 44. BTW

techsmechs
    Free Member

Oh 3T compact – Ergosum. Cheap and a great shape too. Proper 44cm as its C-C.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

FSA Vero Compact…

Spotty dog IMHO..

Cheap as chips, and a great reach/ feel…

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

A nice set of compacts are the way to go – also there are plenty of good, cheap options, which IMO are the way to go, I have a nice build on my cannondale, but the thought of a bling carbon bar didn’t appeal when droppimg the bike into tree stumps etc. – looked as FSA omegas, but in the end went for some ‘Pro PLT compacts’ from ribble at £28 (reduced from about £40)! in 44cm width – they are brilliant and only weigh about 250gsm, why pay more I reckon. I also went for some Fizik microtek tape which is very thin, grippy and much easier to clean than cork tape – ideal for the cross bike.

ssjeff
    Free Member

Flat bars!

cynic-al
    Free Member

46cm Woodchippers = not gay.

Anything else = gay.

tollah
    Free Member

Jog On Jeff

3t looking good, now just need to find a deal 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Flat bars!

Aww, if you’re good, Father Christmas might get you some grown up bars.

crikey
    Free Member

Woodchippers?
    Again, only for the spatially and intellectually challenged.

crikey
    Free Member

Not a silly bar in sight….

cynic-al
    Free Member

That’s not proper riding.

SteveWarwick
    Free Member

Woodchippers for trail fun
    Specialized Roubaix for racing

crikey
    Free Member

That’s not proper riding.

You making I laugh many times, with your girls handlebars and stuff.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You make me laugh many times, with your girls & mud circuit racing.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

IOM3 by alan cole, on Flickr

crikey
    Free Member

Now you making I laugh because you look very like my cousin Ian who does gardening and stuff with diggers for the council. Although you much thinner than he.

Seriously, you just like him!

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK so you are sittign there, fat, behind your keyboard, flaming me cos I actually ride my drop bars proper off-road like, while you post up pics of girls riding laps on freshly-clean bikes, doing wee jumps? You think they’re hard cos they run 36-44..thing is they don’t have to even do a proper climb lasting more than 50m?

I know who the loser is 🙄

crikey
    Free Member

I did the 3 peaks this year love, don’t get radgy..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Big fat deal. Not proper trails.

crikey
    Free Member

Big fat deal.

😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

That is my other nickname!

Anyway looks like you are admitting defeat?

crikey
    Free Member

I didn’t think we were battling in any real sense, but if you and your handlebars will be happier, then yes, I admit defeat and bow down at your big girly handlebar altar.

ssjeff
    Free Member

tollah from what ive seen of you riding you cant handle a mountain bike with rigid forks so how are you going to cope with thin wheels, higher tyre pressures, narrower bars(drops at that) and a rigid fork to boot 😆

singlespeedstu

ssjeff.

You can’t go round insulting tollah like that.

No matter how true it is.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about CX Bars’ is closed to new replies.