Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Teenage girl airlifted in Scotland
  • votchy
    Free Member

Just heard it on radio 1 news, didn't catch where in Scotland but she fell 90 feet down the side of a mountain while riding her mountain bike, healing vibes to her and anyone know anymore about it?

trail_rat
    Free Member

into the river tay near dunkeld.

Wasnt any more details than that.

Hope it wasnt one of ourmaninthenorths course attendants !

Speedy recovery i hope !

grantway
    Free Member

16 year old girl mountain biking was lucky to be alive after falling
    90 ft into the river gourge.
    The 16 year old feel down the narrow ravine flanking the river Braan
    near Hermitage in Perthshire and was swept down river after being knocked
    off her mountain bike when it collided with the parapet of a bridge over
    the gourge.
    Lucky she was riding in an organised group as the plucked her from the
    river.
    Dont seem to be anything broken other than Hyperthermic and shock.

bananaworld
    Free Member

PEDANT ALERT

grantway – Member

…Hyperthermic…

Surely not? Unless the water was really quite hot…

Hope she's ok though, wouldn't want her put off bikes for life.

FOSHOYAHO
    Free Member

^^^^
    C0CK. he was just tryin to give a bit more info, any need for nitpicking on typing skills?

bruneep

any need for nitpicking on typing skills?

It's the STW way, I'm afraid.

them the roolz when you join here.

😉

FOSHOYAHO
    Free Member

Ah well. . . . roolz is roolz

lowey

HEaling vibes to her. Hope she makes a full and speedy recovery.

coffeeking
    Free Member

FOSHOYAHO – Member

^^^^
    C0CK. he was just tryin to give a bit more info, any need for nitpicking on typing skills?
    no need for that sort of response, it was preceded with "pedant alert".

coffeeking
    Free Member

incidentally, does anyone know if it's vertical or just steep? a 27m fall on something that's not vertical is really just going to be a bit of a scary roll, so I'd hope she'll be fine.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

90ft!!! Nuts! Healing vibes to her and hope she's back on the bike soon.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Heard this on the radio on my way to work. Hope she's riding again soon.

warton
    Free Member

a 27m fall on something that's not vertical is really just going to be a bit of a scary roll

nonsense. my local climbing wall is 13metres high, its bloody high, times that by two, even if it wasn't vertical it will have rocks, trees etc on it and it could be very nasty

jedi

hope she heals well and gets back out there to ride it properly 🙂

geoffj

****, if it happened where I think it did, its a road section and it sounds like she hit the side of the bridge and went over. Its a bloody big drop with lots of pointy rocks at the bottom.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=299726&Y=741230&A=Y&Z=120

Sounds like she had a very lucky escape – healing vibes to her.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

To have fallen at that spot and not been killed is amazing! We do our swift water rescue training up at the Hermitage but don't go anywhere near that area as it's a bit mental. Sounds like an interesting job. I'll have to make a few calls and find out how it really went… me cynical? Never! 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

nonsense. my local climbing wall is 13metres high, its bloody high, times that by two, even if it wasn't vertical it will have rocks, trees etc on it and it could be very nasty

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree, but that's why it's called an opinion I suppose. It only needs to be 15-20 degrees from vertical and it'd be a much more slide and roll/bounce situation, far less life threatening than a vertical 27m.

njee20
    Free Member

From the BBC article:

Her parents have been informed and the the Heath and Safety Executive been made aware of the incident.

FFS, is that really worthy of inclusion in the story, now the HSE will attempt to stop any more of those trips! I'm glad she's alive and ok and all that, but it was just one of those things surely!? Next time someone gets hit by a car I hope the HSE will be informed so they can offer inflatable sumo suits to kids outside schools to lessen the impact of the drunk driver who mows them down.

wwaswas

Expect someone's checking that their risk assesment forms are all up to date…

mysterymove
    Free Member

I've kayaked down the Braan a few times and you have to lower all the gear in & that drops scary enough dangling from a rope let alone falling down it!

Hope She's OK?

devs
    Free Member

1st off, coffeeking you are talking absolute nonsense. I fell 136 meters down a 45 deg slope and accelerated at a ridiculous rate. If it hadn't been for a handy drainage chute which I got trapped in and slid down in a huge slide kind of way I wouldn't be here now. Still got 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my arms. I take it there are nothing worse than rolling meadows where you live? Many of the gulleys on the Ben which claim the lives of so many are less steep than the 15-20 deg off vertical scary roll that you describe.
    Secondly, you are a very uncaring lot – nobody has asked if her bike is ok! 🙂

organic355
    Free Member

Ive done courses with the Ancrum centre before, I hope nobody was at fault and the courses arent suspended because of this.

coffeeking
    Free Member

DeVs – do you not think it might have been the drainage chute that helped you accelerate? FYI I live and ride in Scotland and have ridden in the Alps a few times, and crashed there too! Even crashing on really steep slopes you come to a halt pretty damn fast, even more so if there's trees and rocks about. Maybe I'm just magic, or have significantly higher friction co-efficient than the apparently teflon riders that everyone else is :). I'm not saying I'd want to do it, or that it's not a scary fall, just that it's not THAT amazing that she's OK, if it wasn't 70+ degrees. It's not a 90ft fall, its a 10ft fall followed by an 80ft slide and bounce, it's a totally different thing.

Anyway, I'm hope she's fine and the centre don't get the amount of trouble I suspect they will.

ampthill

Are I see the probem

Pretty damn steep is not an angle.

Quick but of boring geek stuff

I'm about 6 foot 4 on a 70 degree slope my face is a bit over 2 feet from the slope. That is really steep, rock climbing steep. I don't see why you would stop on a slope that steep.

Friction doesn't really work beyond 45 degrees. You can't cycle up or down a slope steeper at constant speed. 45 degres feels really steep. But if I stand upright the ground is 6 feet from my face. 45 degrees is 100 ten metre contour lines per km, that 50 contour lines per cm at 1:25,000. Thats much less steep than the Gondola ride at Fortwilliam

jojoA1
    Free Member

According to that article in the Scottish Sun, she was "thrown from her mountainbike" Who did that then?!

Best everyone stay indoors, it's a jungle out there.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Friction doesn't really work beyond 45 degrees.

I'll have to tell that to the physicists then, I'm sure we could make some amazing technological advances now they know friction doesn't occur at certain angles (or that the presence of trees and rocks can be completely ignored on a surface descent) 🙂

70 degrees might have been a slight exaggeration, but news reports often exaggerate falls, and I'd be fairly "happy" falling off a 60-70 degree slope, in comparison with a vertical.

ampthill

My apologies I meant beyond 45 degrees the force of friction will be less than the componen of your weight acting down the slope. You will therfore always be accelerating down the slope.

Not me or my photo, but I have done it. Photoshop gives this as 70 degrees

Stu_N

Is that the slab at Dalbeattie?

Glad the girl is OK, it's a long way down where she came a cropper.

ourmaninthenorth

Hope it wasnt one of ourmaninthenorths course attendants !

Something you know that i don't?!!!

I'm a lawyer in Manchester and I have an alibi and everything (like being in a job interview in Birmingham). Honest guv..!

swiss01
    Free Member

i'd be curious also as to just how she managed this. i've only managed to vaguely hurt myself on this bridge the once on this bridge, hitting my head once on the exit 'like a ****' as one of my companions generously put it. the only injury was to my pride.

glad she's all right tho, however she's done it

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

The Courier article states that she didn't make contact with any rock on he fall, a straight fall from the bridge into the water – impressive in it's self.

Climbing in and out of the gorge there is difficult – I've paddled that section a number of times. The access point certainly focuses the mind.

I certainly wouldn't want to fall off Rumbling Bridge, and I have seen the whole structure, including the road surface, encased in a thick carapace of ice during sub zero conditions. Perhaps similar conditions yesterday?

All in, a remarkable take of survival, with a massive dose of luck.

ampthill

The picture is comes the Dervish, Llanberis quarries, North Wales

Woody
    Free Member

Sounds like she has been a very lucky girl and I wish her well.

A bit OT but my favourite boarding vid showsTERJE HAAKONSENon a mere 60deg 😯

As the girl says "if you mess up it's aaaaa….like…aaaaa..big consequences !

simonjf63
    Free Member

I thought this was some sort of new delivery service when I read the title – how disappointing

Hope she gets well soon

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Given someone young has escaped very luckily, I cannot beleive people are fighting over the gradient of the slope, ffs grow up

devs
    Free Member

DeVs – do you not think it might have been the drainage chute that helped you accelerate?

No. I was half way down doing a good impersonation of someone going arse over tit before I hit the channel. I wouldn't want to do it again thanks. Any one who skis or regularly accesses slopes that steep will tell you that your "scary roll" opinion is way off the mark. As the photo above shows, a 70 deg fall would be most undesirable, you'd still hit the floor at near terminal velocity but you'd also hae no skin from the friction burns acquired on the way down.

therealhoops
    Free Member

What tyres for 90ft fall? Pairo decent Conti's would have sorted it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Teenage girl airlifted in Scotland’ is closed to new replies.