Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 535 total)
  • Teachers striking again!!!!!
  • LycraLout
    Free Member

I know of a large private organisation shedding 1,000’s of UK jobs currently. As part of the outplacement you are offered various courses including inclusing “getting into teaching”, it’s near the bottom of the list next to “dog grooming franchise”.

Nothing about dog grooming or teaching on that link, and searching for the “External Job Opportunities” text returns

# A dedicated intranet site on matters concerning the proposal to exit the Sandwich site. On this site employees can find details of HR Policies, the Presentations/Documents and Minutes from the Colleague Forum, Information on the Government Task Force, External Job Opportunities that we have been approached with, News Bulletins, links to sites including “Polish your Presentation Skills”, topics such as “Spin out Opportunities”. There is also a “Submit your comments” question facility on the web site. We have also added external links to the Select Committee meeting on 28 February, so that colleagues can read about and watch the session with Pfizer.
    # There is a specific “External Job Opportunities” page on the intranet site which is a centralised source of external job vacancies which we have been notified of since the announcement on 1 February of Pfizer’s proposed exit from the Sandwich site.

Do rooms get darker when walk into them? I suspect you’re dense enough to attract light

akysurf
    Free Member

I recall that your question was….

hoping you’d name this company of yours

I gave you a clue….

Work it out yourself – clue: East kent

You have 30sec……go, tick tock tick tock…and the answer is?

pssst….it’s Pfizer.

boxelder

What we need is more acadamies where the managers set and enforce the curiculum, and also set the pay.

I’m a manager at an Academy – and will be on strike.

If employees in the private sector can’t get organised and support each other to protect their pay and conditions, then I’m sorry. Others having to take cuts doesn’t mean no-one else should fight it. If pay and conditions is so great for teachers, why do we struggle to fill vacancies?

convert

boxelder – (I’m also a teacher, but now in the independent sector so possibly even more bolloxed than you by the changes) does this not feel just a tad early for striking? The government is still in consultation and is only going to publish it’s actual proposals in the autumn. Surely then is the time to strike (it’ll also have much more effect as examination age classes will actually be at school!).

LycraLout
    Free Member

As part of the outplacement you are offered various courses including inclusing “getting into teaching”, it’s near the bottom of the list next to “dog grooming franchise”.

= just some poor fiction then?

Xylene
    Free Member

You could become a science teacher and join the gravy train, there arent enough of them so its easy to get a job.

Bugger all jobs out there just now.

convert

Any chance you two sad sacks could find a room and leave the thread to the grown ups?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Grown ups? Where?

*runs to hide in the cupboard under the stairs*

boxelder

convert – let them know how we feel before they draw up plans, don’t wait ’til it’s decided. I don’t want to affect exam classes! I don’t want the students to be affected negatively at all.

convert

True, it’s not the teacher way to want to effect the plight of those in our charge and it’s not good PR but a strike at this time of year is just symbolic. Maybe that’s the point. I’m not convinced as I walk around the staffroom many of my colleagues have truly understood the potential changes – be they significant or reasonable.

Quarter to midnight and writing reports – 15 more to go tonight – god it’s a dull part of the job!

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

convert,

You must be really poor at time management if you’re having to work this late. Munge-Chick knows all about teachers and it’s a piss easy job.

Clink

You must be really poor at time management if you’re having to work this late. Munge-Chick knows all about teachers and it’s a piss easy job

Absolutely.

Yesterday I was in school for 7.20 (been in school until 8.30 night before). Phoning parents from 8. Taught most of day. Saw kids during my ‘break’. Dealt with an assault on a member of staff. Had a meeting with parents during my lunch ‘break’. Left school at 4.30 to collect my kids. Spent 3 hours in evening writing reports.

Not saying other jobs are not harder. But teaching isn’t ‘piss easy’.

yunki
    Free Member

you pays peanuts…. you gets monkeys

duckman

convert – Member
    boxelder – (I’m also a teacher, but now in the independent sector so possibly even more bolloxed than you by the changes) does this not feel just a tad early for striking? The government is still in consultation and is only going to publish it’s actual proposals in the autumn. Surely then is the time to strike (it’ll also have much more effect as examination age classes will actually be at school!).

I would suggest that the time between the consultation “process” (which teaching unions were shut out of up here) and the applying of cuts may be fairly short. Two weeks up here between the chartered programme being “reviewed” and “closed”

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The Hutton report found the average pension payments – including workers and dependents – in 2009-10 were as follows:

* Local government worker: £4,052
    * NHS worker: £7,234
    * Civil servant: £6,199
    * Teacher: £9,806

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13775278

Drac

Interesting.

FACT CHECK: Financial advisers Hargreaves Lansdown have calculated that private sector employees would need to build up a pension pot of £189,151 – equivalent to £6,300 each year for 30 years – to receive the average annual pension paid to civil servants.

It estimates the equivalent comparative figures for NHS workers and teachers are £221,155 and £298,596.

akysurf
    Free Member

= just some poor fiction then?

You’re welcome to go:
    Routes into Teaching Information Day
    With Canterbury Christ Church University and TDA on Wednesday 22 June at 9.30am-4pm in B.509/2.100, DBM Career Centre.

…if you can get you head out of your arse and find your way there!

akysurf
    Free Member

What did folks make of Danny Alexander’s line in the sand”?

“by far the best likely to be on the table for years to come”

donsimon
    Free Member

yunki – Member

you pays peanuts…. you gets monkeys
    Not necessarily, you get people who do the job for rewards that are greater than money alone. Teachers, nurses, soldiers and the police do not do the job for the money which allows us to see, at a time of striking, who does it for the money alone. 😉

anagallis_arvensis

want to know whats really funny, due to the fact year11 and year 13 are on exam leave I have no lesson the day of the strike!

donsimon
    Free Member

What about all the other bits that clink has to do?

Absolutely.

Yesterday I was in school for 7.20 (been in school until 8.30 night before). Phoning parents from 8. Taught most of day. Saw kids during my ‘break‘. Dealt with an assault on a member of staff. Had a meeting with parents during my lunch ‘break‘. Left school at 4.30 to collect my kids. Spent 3 hours in evening writing reports.

Not saying other jobs are not harder. But teaching isn’t ‘piss easy’.

😉

anagallis_arvensis

I expect clink is further up the payscale, although I have a A level biology field trip to plan and a scheme of work for GCSE biology to write. For a classroom teacher like me who has the delight of being given loads of year 11 and year 13 teaching to do this time of year is usually fairly quiet. But I suspect thats the reason the strike is when it is.

Duke
    Free Member

28th June is the last day of the exam period I believe. Science modules I think, always last in the cue. 😉

anagallis, you couldn’t sort my Geography KS3 re-write while you are at it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Science modules I think, always last in the cue

Yay for edyerkayshun and proppa speling!

akysurf
    Free Member

After starting this post I have begun to develop a bit of sympathy for teachers, a few factor for this thinking…

…some teachers (not all) considering hemselves as somehow speacial and the only sector of the UK work force that work hard for a living, I think this is deluded (living in a bubble) so therefore I sympathise in that respect.

…in recent years they are falling (resentfully) more in line with the private sector in terms of effort at work. So I sympathise that they have to be able to ‘cope’ with that.

…the reality that the public sector (public servants) have to adapt to changes in economic fortunes wich are driven by factors out of most peoples control. So I sympaphise with all public sector workers wrt that. I’m a realist & my wife’s a nurse.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

& my wife’s a nurse

Your wife’s a nurse ? ………you should have mentioned that in the beginning.

If your wife being a nurse doesn’t give the right to slag off teachers, then I don’t know what does !

miketually
    Free Member

want to know whats really funny, due to the fact year11 and year 13 are on exam leave I have no lesson the day of the strike!

Our Y12s are back in to begin A2 work, so I’d have had a full timetable that day (the afternoon was off timetable for careers talks anyway).

Been looking at donkey jackets and oil drums on eBay 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

So I sympaphise with all public sector workers wrt that. I’m a realist & my wife’s a nurse.

Is she your carer 😉
    Why not say all that to your wife about the real world and how she cant cope sure she will appreciate your concern

Burls72
    Free Member

I thought i’d read this thread to see if I could understand the teachers point of view on striking because in the press they aren’t coming across very well and I still can’t. I don’t think for a minute it’s an easy job and I personally couldn’t think of anything worse to do for a living but on this point I think you are in the wrong. We all have it tough at the moment and your still better off than a lot of people. I agree with the earlier post about it being as much to do with an ageing population as tough times. Why should the rest of us prop up your pension?

As a side note I can see why so many people feel the need to correct peoples spelling and grammer on this forum as there are clearly a lot of teachers! Mine is bad but correcting it and trying to make me feel small is something which annoys me. It’s even worse from teachers because the reason mines so bad isn’t due to a lack of intelligence it’s down to a poor education as i’m sure it is with many others.

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s even worse from teachers because the reason mines so bad isn’t due to a lack of intelligence it’s down to a poor education as i’m sure it is with many others.

There are, of course, two sides, the other side of teaching is learning. Can you blame the teachers for poor learning?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Why should the rest of us prop up your pension?

Fail you dont have to the last agreement states that legally any shortfall has to be met by the members not us. It even gets mentioned on this thread a few times….I can see why you missed it though and feel I should personally apologise for your error etc.
    Don Simon
    You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink
    In more coarse terms you cannot polish faeces [ that poo by the way Burls]

akysurf
    Free Member

Is she your carer

Yes, and it’s mutual

akysurf
    Free Member

doesn’t give the right to slag off teachers

Exactly where have I slagged off teachers?

akysurf
    Free Member

I agree with the earlier post about it being as much to do with an ageing population as tough times. Why should the rest of us prop up your pension?

Agree; agree; agree!!!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

See if a someone deluded and living in a bubble teacher will help you get it or perhaps that will be too much like hard work for them 🙄
    FFS that is not true we are not propping it up teachers will pay with extra contributions

akysurf
    Free Member

Can you blame the teachers for poor learning?

Yes, during the last parents evening when I asked about some practical measures to improve my daughters maths skills, I was told by the teacher….”have you heard of Kumon? some of the other parents pay for private tuition….”. Totally palmed-off, not only paying to prop up pensions, but actually adived to pay for provate tuion – By the teacher!!!!????!!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

perhaps the teacher realised it was beyond your skill level to help and only a paid professional would do ?

donsimon
    Free Member

Yes, during the last parents evening when I asked about some practical measures to improve my daughters maths skills, I was told by the teacher….”have you heard of Kumon? some of the other parents pay for private tuition….”. Totally palmed-off, not only paying to prop up pensions, but actually adived to pay for provate tuion – By the teacher!!!!????!!!

That’s an interesting story, but can you blame the teacher for poor learning? You know, studying at home? Doing homework? Being motivated and encouraged by the parents? Do you even know the difference between teaching and learning? 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

sticks hand me sir me I know this one me sir please sir MMMMMEEEEE
    PS I think he has my old keyboard

akysurf
    Free Member

[/quote]paid professional

Excuse me….I thought ‘teaching’ was a proffesion??

I hope my hours, and hours, …and hours! (on top of my job) of going over past SATS papers 1to1 with my daughter my have recovered the complete failure of the school – but then, I’m not the expert!!!! Ironically, when my daughter (proudly) revealed our efforts to her teacher, she was told “don’t bother doing past papers”. Well, there you go, damned if you do damned if you don’t.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 535 total)

The topic ‘Teachers striking again!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.