Viewing 30 posts - 241 through 270 (of 270 total)
  • Teachers hours
  • anagallis_arvensis

Double post error!

lapierrelady

I think like any profession there are bits you don’t like-I missed a good friends wedding this weekend because it was on a Friday and I can’t take two days off work. But I also think that what is upsetting teachers at the moment is the changing of the goalposts. With pensions, the teaching pension pot was one of the few that was self funding, in that the people teaching now cover the pension of those retired. Our pension pot was raided to cover over pension costs, which many thought of (not unfairly) as mean. With the EBAC, no one really knows what this will mean. With the leaving age being raised to 18, is there even any point in a set of exams at 16? It is just a shame that education is politicized. What I do know is this; people from around the world believe in our whole education system enough to spend tens of thousands and/or relocate to access it-suggests it’s not all bad?

bwaarp
    Free Member

It’s certainly better than continental Europe, especially our universities. The conservatives would like to turn those into mediocre poorly funded continental styles institutions as well.

mt
    Free Member

stevewhyte – ok for those utube posts we could give higher marks as they were very funny. I’m still not going to give higher than 5/10 due to lack of subject understanding.

edit – word error.

miketually
    Free Member

bwaarp – Member

Not really, average male pay is 30k.

Not really what?

anagallis_arvensis

Lapierrelady with all due respect. If you have never worked in the state sector you havent a **** clue what its like to be constantly criticised and attacked for doing a tough job with **** all resources.

lapierrelady

As I’ve said, I have worked in the state sector, and I understand the frustration. Which is why I don’t work in that sector any more, but have huge respect for those that do.

anagallis_arvensis

I thought you said you did some of your pgce in the state sector, apologies if i was mistaken.

lapierrelady

No not mistaken,just at cross purposes I think. I just thought spending a term in a state school being paid by the government counted as work a little bit. I wouldn’t consider myself any kind of expert, but I am really interested in the future of education, which why I’ve been enjoying the message board. I think it is all teachers that are being criticised, not just those in the state sector. Educationalists as a whole are not that well respected in society, but it is difficult to put a finger on why. Anyway, all this talk about teaching beats fretting about tyre choices for this weekend!

anagallis_arvensis

Its not hard to see why. Its because education is a political football and public sector workers are particular targets of the current government.

lapierrelady

Fact, the politicos are a terrible bore. Are there any countries where this is not the case-it would be fun to go and work there!

mt
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Its not hard to see why. Its because education is a political football and public sector workers are particular targets of the current government.

This is not the only reason that teachers/educationalists get a tough time, it’s way more complicated than this. Back to 4/10. 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Well you have convinced me with that stunning post. I’ll try to aim my repost at your level.

Nah nahna nah na….. Your wrong.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Educationalists as a whole are not that well respected in society, but it is difficult to put a finger on why. Anyway, all this talk about teaching beats fretting about tyre choices for this weekend!

Because unlike in Asia, children are not taught to respect their teachers, other adults or elders. We live in a very individualist society, what suprised me once is that I overheard an expat American woman commenting on how little British parents could handle others disciplining their children when compared to the States. If we’re worse than Americans in that regard, then there is something seriously wrong.

At the heart of the problem is that every generation has been increasingly spoilt with a larger sense of entitlement. This rot started with the boomers and the lot born in the mid to late 70’s really accelerated the rot.

bwaarp
    Free Member

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/feb/07/chinese-children-school-do-well

Becky Francis, a visiting professor at King’s College London, director of education at the Royal Society of Arts and one of the researchers, says: “Our main argument is that families of Chinese heritage see taking education seriously as a fundamental pillar of their Chinese identity, and a way of differentiating themselves not just within their own group, but from other ethnic groups as well.”

Where as on the other hand, the British are on the whole anti-intellectual oxygen thieves. All you have to do is compare the attitude to learning between the two ethnic groups, bright high achievers in Britain are labelled “geeks” and relentlessly bullied in the state school system – there is no respect for learning. Where as in many Asian countries the classroom are full of children competing to try and be the biggest nerd.

In case you can tell I take a very dim view of my fellow countrymen.

anagallis_arvensis

Bwaarp you have a very dim view of the country indeed if you think china is better. Maybe you should stop reading the daily mail and look at what is in front of you more.

duckman

Source a; taken from an internet forum

MrSmith – Member

So you think it is perfectly acceptable to misrepresent people do you ?

it’s the internet. people are misrepresented all the time.
    deal with it.
    i stand by what i said, a lot of teachers whinge about their lot.
    don’t believe me? good for you i wouldn’t take to heart what people say on a forum about bikes and stuff to heart either.

How useful is source a in understanding the teachers pension protests of 2011/12? (4marks)

The source is not especially useful. While it is a primary source,written at the time of pension protest,the author does not provide any evidence to back up his claims.The content is of limited use as the author is quick to claim that using the internet allows him to make statements to any end he wants,this calls for close scrutiny of any subsequent posts he makes.One limitation of the source is that the Author does not actually describe the dispute.Another limitation is that from my own knowledge I understand that teachers were fighting to retain the conditions they had received,something the author does not mention. Overall source a is of little use to the student.

mt
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Well you have convinced me with that stunning post. I’ll try to aim my repost at your level.

Nah nahna nah na….. Your wrong.

Very poor 1/10. But you could not do better. 🙂

scuzz
    Free Member

Incase anyone missed it…

In last year’s [annual] report, we said that 40 per cent of lessons overall were not good enough. And yet everyone is getting a pay rise. Hey! Something is wrong with the system,’ he said. Schools should be more selective in giving teachers pay rises, he said. ‘It will mean some will get pay rises, some won’t.’
    ‘As a head, I would make it clear that if you teach well or try to teach well, if you work hard and go the extra mile, you are going to get paid well. You are going to be promoted. Somebody who is out the gate at 3 o’clock in the afternoon is not.’

Overall, I see this as fair, as long as the metrics used to measure whether lessons are ‘good enough’ are… good enough.

anagallis, I don’t think Bwaarp was arguing that China was better than the UK. He’s commenting on the difference in attitudes about intellectualism in the two countries, and how China demonstrates that it is possible to have kids that respect education. Exactly why he is making this point, I’m unsure – it’s pretty clear that we also have high achieving kids in this country also.

Clink

as long as the metrics used to measure whether lessons are ‘good enough’ are… good enough.

They aren’t.

davidjones15
    Free Member

They aren’t.

I wonder why that is. 😕

sbd16v
    Free Member

Lapierrelady with all due respect. If you have never worked in the state sector you havent a **** clue what its like to be constantly criticised and attacked for doing a tough job with **** all resources.

Sounds just like being in the forces that

Only we have no union
    No right to strike
    No say over our current pension changes (that are happening now)
    And somtimes you get a phone call in the middle of your holiday to say you need to be ready to leave in 4 hours your flying to meet your submarine and wont see your family for 6 weeks with no contact.

Oh and guess what we have 6 monthly reports that if we dont meet the grades we need to we get no pay rise lol

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I guess you could always leave if you don’t like it, after all that’s the free market way is it not.

anagallis_arvensis

Almost 50% of new teachers leave in the first 5 years. What a colossal waste of money training them is.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/nov/16/teaching-problem-schools?cat=education&type=article

Junkyard
    Free Member

I wonder why that is

what about the ones in wales or Spain?

bwaarp
    Free Member

Almost 50% of new teachers leave in the first 5 years. What a colossal waste of money training them is.

That says something about the children and parents as opposed to the teachers.

Exactly why he is making this point, I’m unsure – it’s pretty clear that we also have high achieving kids in this country also.

Guess what, most of those of from the private sector. What keeps their heads above the water is the fear of ending up in a school full of ‘chavs’ like the ones mommy and daddy threatens you with if you don’t get good enough grades.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Bwaarp you have a very dim view of the country indeed if you think china is better. Maybe you should stop reading the daily mail and look at what is in front of you more

Nahh, the Daily Fail hates China. Besides my experience is based on democratic Asian countries. As if the only successful Asian country is China, you racist lol?! 😛

Only we have no union
    No right to strike
    No say over our current pension changes (that are happening now)
    And somtimes you get a phone call in the middle of your holiday to say you need to be ready to leave in 4 hours your flying to meet your submarine and wont see your family for 6 weeks with no contact.

Yeah well, that’s what happes if you’re thick enough to think becoming a soldier is a good sensible career route and running into a hail of machine gun bullets fired by a bunch of goat shaggers high off drugs is a brilliant idea. Although I have respect for the ones that do it for the kick – none of the others though. Fair play to the guys that plain out wanted to have a good old fight and kill people, but the ones that wanted to do it as a serious career option? HAHA

At least teachers create something.

anagallis_arvensis

So the kids I’ ve taught who have become vets and doctors are not high achieving? You come across as a bitter person.

bullheart
    Free Member

duckman – Member
    Source a; taken from an internet forum

MrSmith – Member
    So you think it is perfectly acceptable to misrepresent people do you ?

it’s the internet. people are misrepresented all the time.
    deal with it.
    i stand by what i said, a lot of teachers whinge about their lot.
    don’t believe me? good for you i wouldn’t take to heart what people say on a forum about bikes and stuff to heart either.

How useful is source a in understanding the teachers pension protests of 2011/12? (4marks)

The source is not especially useful. While it is a primary source,written at the time of pension protest,the author does not provide any evidence to back up his claims.The content is of limited use as the author is quick to claim that using the internet allows him to make statements to any end he wants,this calls for close scrutiny of any subsequent posts he makes.One limitation of the source is that the Author does not actually describe the dispute.Another limitation is that from my own knowledge I understand that teachers were fighting to retain the conditions they had received,something the author does not mention. Overall source a is of little use to the student.

Genuinely LOL’d! Excellent work duckman, top of the class my boy!

Viewing 30 posts - 241 through 270 (of 270 total)

The topic ‘Teachers hours’ is closed to new replies.