Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • Tax on sugary drinks
  • Drac

Nobody says it but what these kind of sugar taxes imply is that the problem is mainly with poor thick people. They’re not capable of making rational, informed decisions so they need poking with financial disincentives, which are largely irrelevent for the well off.

Ermmmmmm! Ok. 😯

mrsfry
    Free Member

Nothing happens till 2018 so drink yourselfs silly

wrightyson
    Free Member

This kind of thing pisses me right off. I drink the odd can of coke kids have the odd sugary drink. Why do we all have to suffer because folk should move more and eat/drink less?

Drac

You have the odd one and you’re suffering. Good job you don’t have them regular you’ll be inconsolable.

Harry_the_Spider

Headline diversionary tactic diverting attention away from the detail and small print elsewhere in the budget that is going to #### people over.

wrightyson
    Free Member

If I go to the shop and have to pay more for my cans of coke then yes I’m suffering. I won’t have as much money to spend on a greggs lunch.

Drac

Byker Dummies?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I hope this is the start of the war on “added sugar” and is extended beyond drinks

10% of the NHS budget is spent on diabetes and its effects and 1 in 5 kids leaving primary school are obese …. 1 in 5 !! 😯

One day excess sugar consumption may will be seen like smoking is now.

People in office doorways stuffing down buns… mars bars and walnut whips sold only over the counter from a cabinet that’s behind shutters

wilburt
    Free Member

Why the downer on bottled water?

Theres is no more disposable plastic required to bottle water than any other drink and what realistic alternatives are there?

wilburt
    Free Member

I hope this is the start of the war on “added sugar” and is extended beyond drinks

Its not just sugar is it though, our economy relies on distracting folk from they’re otherwise shit life with cheap food, shiny cars and pink and blue TV.

Drac

Theres is no more disposable plastic required to bottle water than any other drink and what realistic alternatives are there?

A tap.

wilburt
    Free Member

Realistic?

Drac

Well I’ve just managed to get some from a tap.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Every shopping street beach or Park out in Oz has drinking taps and bottle filling points. I reckon most people who would buy a bottle of water now carry a reusable bottle. Best idea in the world, ban bottled water in offices and meetings so easy to do taps and glasses.

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s a big promotion around bristol for using taps. Might seem obvious to some but others must need a prod. Part of the green capital legacy was the installation of drinking water taps around the city to refill bottles.

Drac

Exactly.

slowoldman

Sugar tax is having a positive impact in Mexico, so I would say it’s worth a go.

wilburt
    Free Member

Sounds like a great idea but wont replace all circumstances when being able to get a bottle of clean water is very handy.

johnners
    Free Member

This kind of thing pisses me right off. I drink the odd can of coke kids have the odd sugary drink. Why do we all have to suffer because folk should move more and eat/drink less?

If the increased tax reduces sugar consumption everyone will benefit.

kimbers

However, from a health perspective the alternatives – diet – drinks have been proven to be pretty bad for you with regular ingestion, I refer to aspartinine, sorbitol etc.
    Aren’t we solving one problem but creating another, basically on the assumption that the other problem is currently much smaller that the former problem?

That is simply not true, sweetners are some of the most studied food additives and no one has been able to prove they are bad for you, certainly not as bad as too much sugar

And as Ro5ey says obesity now costs the NHS more than smoking, why shouldn’t it be dealt with by tax

Cougar

However, from a health perspective the alternatives – diet – drinks have been proven to be pretty bad for you with regular ingestion, I refer to aspartinine, sorbitol etc.

Partly because of the prevalence of scare stories and misinformation, Aspartame is one of the single most tested foodstuffs on the planet.

Sorbitol has laxative effects in larger quantities, so that does need to be taken into consideration (ie, great if you’ve got the opposite problem to start with, not so great if you have IBS).

nickjb
    Free Member

aside from the science around sweeteners diet drinks aren’t the only alternative. I have a pretty sweet tooth so do enjoy a good sugary drink but I reckon I could get by if they just reduced the amount of added sugar. I do look for the lower % sugar when choosing squash and the like and I can’t say it makes a noticeable difference to taste.

mudshark
    Free Member

There’s also the damage to the environment from delivery – some comes from other countries – crazy really.

Before the 70s we were quite happy with tap water but Perrier got this crazy thing going.

Dickyboy

Thing is the producers will be paying the tax, and if they can reduce their overheads they will, so should at least help reduce the amount of sugar in these drinks

bruneep

Aspartame is hidden away in lots of foods, very difficult for those with PKU like Mrs b. Diet can be controlled but when its hidden in foods makes eating out very hard.

PKU

However, the panel said the ADI did not apply to people with phenylketonuria (PKU) – a rare genetic disorder where the body cannot break down phenylalanine. People who have this condition need to closely monitor their phenylalanine intake.
    The EFSA report stated that: “PKU mothers with poorly controlled phenylalanine intake in their diet during pregnancy may give birth to babies with congenital heart diseases, microcephalus and impaired neurological function.”
    It is worth noting that phenylalanine occurs naturally in many protein-rich foods, such as milk, eggs and meat. Table top sweeteners containing aspartame or aspartame-acesulfame K must be marked with: “contains a source of phenylalanine”.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Its not just sugar is it though, our economy relies on distracting folk from they’re otherwise shit life with cheap food, shiny cars and pink and blue TV.

I cant go on, throws himself off bridge! Good bye cruel world ! LoL

STATO
    Free Member

mudshark – Member

There’s also the damage to the environment from delivery – some comes from other countries – crazy really.

Before the 70s we were quite happy with tap water but Perrier got this crazy thing going.

I do dislike the idea of bottled water, but in most citys now its difficult to find a drinking water tap without local knowledge. Most public restrooms using mixer taps so id rather not drink luke-warm water, pubs arnt open early, cafes might give me some but I don’t typically carry an empty bottle around with me when shopping.

wilburt
    Free Member

I cant go on, throws himself off bridge! Good bye cruel world ! LoL

Sad thing is lots of people do.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stato perhaps the push away from sugar drinks and bottled water will create the demand for better facilities. Other places have managed the change.

Cougar

very difficult for those with PKU like Mrs b

Good point, but it’s perfectly safe amongst the general population unless you’ve got a condition which precludes it (I knew there was one for aspartame but couldn’t remember the details; that sounds tough, my sympathies). But that’s probably true of many many things we eat, peanuts for example.

hora
    Free Member

Queuing at Asda or Tescos I often notice mothers with huge multibags of crisps, multipacks of small juice drinks etc etc.

It’s almost like they think children have the basic right to processed sugar in ALL it’s forms. You are never going to change this mindset with any level of tax. It’s the ‘don’t tell me what to do’ or ‘I know how to raise my kids’. Coke 2lt will still be on promos and if it becomes too expensive? Asda no doubt will have a 2lt cola that will become the same price as the old coke. Win win for the supermarket’s.

nickjb
    Free Member

I don’t typically carry an empty bottle around with me when shopping.

Any particular reason why not? I appreciate it is convenient to pop into shop, buy something to drink, drink it then chuck the bottle in the bin but it isn’t a big effort just take a bottle with you. You can even pre fill it. If you are shopping you’ll probably have a bag to carry it. There is a lack of taps though. Also being British asking a cafe or pub to fill a bottle doesn’t seem right to me. Something to work on 🙂

wilburt
    Free Member

Theres also exactly double the amount of people in the world now than 1970, it is a completely different place.

Water on tap sounds great in some circumstances but bottled water is quite an appealing product and if it helps ween people of the other much greater risk of death by diabetes then cost of recycling and an in efficient delivery in the short term is worthwhile.

hooli

It may make a bit of a difference, perhaps if a kid walks into a corner shop for a bag or crisps and a drink on the way home from school and see coke at £1 and something a bit healthier at £0.75. I presume at least some would choose the cheaper (healthier) option? Similar when families do the weekly shopping.

It’s a small step and wont stop the obesity problem overnight but it could be a start, they could then do the same on other foods making it cheaper to eat healthier food. I don’t mean apples compared to deep fried mars bars but some crisps/chocolates have far more calories than others.

PJM1974
    Free Member

It does unfairly penalise diabetics though.

jon1973
    Free Member

they could then do the same on other foods making it cheaper to eat healthier food

It doesn’t cost a lot of money to eat healthy, it’s just the way we’re bombarded with the unhealthy stuff all the time. I don’t think it’s just about money.

slowoldman

It does unfairly penalise diabetics though.

In what way?

I don’t really get this “carrying a bottle of water around”. When did that become a thing? I don’t recall ever getting dehydrated doing the shopping.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Water on tap sounds great in some circumstances but bottled water is quite an appealing product and if

Sometimes if we put as much effort into doing good things as we do finding reasons not to, stuff could change a lot quicker.

Edit

I don’t really get this “carrying a bottle of water around”. When did that become a thing?

Most people don’t drink enough water, most consume other liquids (tea, coffee or soft drinks etc) have a bottle with you and you will just drink water, probably more. It’s entirely normal across places like Australia, it’s a shock when I come back to the UK and don’t get a bottle of tap water on the table, or just around any bar. It’s a mindset change.

mudshark
    Free Member

I suppose some people would be worried about looking mean if drinking tap water – either at a restaurant or just around town? We have a lot of water bottles in my house but my wife still buys little bottles of water to take with her for days out, bit annoying….

hooli

It doesn’t cost a lot of money to eat healthy, it’s just the way we’re bombarded with the unhealthy stuff all the time. I don’t think it’s just about money.

Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t saying it costs too much to eat healthily. What I mean is adjusting the prince can sway some peoples buying habits. Look at the 5p bag charge, its 5p FFS but it has had a massive impact on how many bags get used and how people shop.

An example would be crisps, there are bags that contain 100 calories and others that contain 250. If the 250 calorie option cost more, people may choose the lower calorie (healthier) option while still eating the bag of crisps that they want. It also gets manufacturers to put more effort into creating lower calorie but tasty options as there will be a bigger market for them?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Tax on sugary drinks’ is closed to new replies.