Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)
  • Tax on sugary drinks
  • MSP

Interesting move in the budget, looks to be supported by the opposition also.

Personally I would like to see a lot more regulation of all processed food contents, taxation doesn’t really seem the right tool for the job, almost like saying we don’t give a shit as long as we get a cut of the action.

ps. I hope this can be a discussion on food regulation rather than party politics.

mefty
    Free Member

Makes Fever Tree even more exclusive so plenty will be happy.

binners

There aren’t many causes I’d actually be prepared to die for. Actually theres just the one…..

STATO
    Free Member

I don’t see how you can regulate out sugar, are you going to ban cakes? 😉 Added salts etc. sure but even then a lot of foods are moving away from adding a lot, its just people don’t build a balanced meal from available produce. What they should do is reduce vat on healthy alternatives, bottled water should be cheap be often in smaller shops its not much cheaper than pop.

P-Jay
    Free Member

IMO it perhaps isn’t the more elegant of solutions, but it’s a decent/easy enough one.

We have a national cash-flow problem, more tax revenue will help it, well, it won’t hurt anyway.

We have an obesity problem – if presented with two bottles of pop, the one with 15g of sugar in it for £1.50 or the one with no sugar in it for £1 hopefully, some at least will take the sugar free one.

It’s simple to understand and simple to impose – the one downside I can see is that there’s a huge mark-up on fizzy drinks, it’s possible the makers could reduce the cost of the sugar versions of their products (citing lower production costs etc) to achieve parity in their pricing – to what end, other than ‘evil’ I don’t know, but they could.

jimster01

Can’t really see it making a lot of difference, people will just pay the extra or pop to wherever and get a 2 litre bottle for a pound.

MSP

We have an obesity problem

The problem is a lot more complicated than fizzy drinks.

Much of the public health advice given for the past 40 years (maybe longer) has been tainted by corporate lobbying. Some of the myths are now starting to be broken down, but what is needed is proper regulation on how food is labelled and presented to the public, and watchdogs with teeth that can damage companies that deceive.

chewkw
    Free Member

Doubt it will affect much really coz people in the West are loaded and can afford to buy sugary drinks even at higher price unlike those in the Mexico (where people are poor and sugar tax has impact on them or their spending habit).

It’s more to do with self control and education. 🙄

Either way someone has just increased his personal value and profile … the emergent of another “expert”.

mudshark
    Free Member

Another tax on the poor?

Do pubs still charge silly money for soft drinks on tap? Forward thinkers?!

mefty
    Free Member

get a 2 litre bottle for a pound.

The tax is apparently 50p on a 2 l bottle.

callmetc
    Free Member

Basically because of other people having no self control I now have to pay more money for my sugary fix.

Great.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Will only affect me about once a month when I need that Irn Bru! (or lucosade if it’s a really bad hangover) Just hope they don’t start taxing the sugary coating on ibuprofen too!

Hangovers about to get as expensive as the night before!

SaxonRider

I agree that whatever taxes exist on healthy foods should be reduced (if they, in fact, exist), but I do not agree at all with this:

bottled water should be cheap be often in smaller shops its not much cheaper than pop

I would love to see bottled water banned altogether, or at least seriously curtailed in its marketing, on the basis of the amount of disposable plastic used to dispense what you can get in equal measure from a tap.

San Francisco has the right idea.

chewkw
    Free Member

Will definitely affect my non-alcoholic malt drinking habit though … arrghhh … apparently high in sugar.

But then how many of you kids drink non-alcoholic malt drink?

🙄

allan23
    Free Member

It’s bullshit to appease a lobby group somewhere or seem like they’re doing something. Milk and Pure Fruit Juice are both exempt but both can be as bad or worse than fizzy drinks.

It’s a good thing to reduce sugar but this tax is a missed opportunity to point out hidden sugar in other foods such as the low fat industry where the fat is swapped for more sugar.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I would love to see bottled water banned altogether, or at least seriously curtailed in its marketing, on the basis of the amount of disposable plastic used to dispense what you can get in equal measure from a tap.

+1

Never understood why you would buy bottled water.

nedrapier

I thought you lived in Thailand, chewk?

footflaps

Basically because of other people having no self control I now have to pay more money for my sugary fix.

We’re already paying billions to treat their medical conditions via the NHS, so anything which might reduce that is a good thing.

chewkw
    Free Member

nedrapier – Member
    I thought you lived in Thailand, chewk?

Why? Because I drink non-alcoholic malt drink?

I lived in the paradise city called the Toon (NE or the GeordieLand) where bingo wings are plentiful and the women would deck you anytime if you try to argue with them … 😯

I mean my main supplier of non-alcoholic malt drink is the very large Tesco supermarket.

I drink almost every brand of non-alcoholic malt drink there is on earth.

Ask me a non-alcoholic malt … my favourite at the moment is Maltina from Nigeria. 😆 My local Iceland Supermarket has run out of Grace Mighty Malt (this one has a better aromatic taste so slightly ahead of the rest and price is good too at 50p/bottle).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Do pubs still charge silly money for soft drinks on tap? Forward thinkers?!

Remember the thread/social media backlash/trip adviser furor about the woman who complained that her “hot water fruit infusion” (hot water + slice of lemon) was too expensive in a tea room?

The cost of giving you a pint of coke is ~15p or whatever it is, the costof giving you a galss to drink it from, a barman to serve it, a table clearer to pick it up again and clean the table, paying the rent and bills is what makes a pint of coke cost £1.50 (or whatever it is in your local).

A Pint of beer costs about 16p too. Duty takes it to about 50p. And the overheads on serving a pint and VAT is the rest (i.e. all bar 50p is the same costs whether it’s a pint of Beer or a glass of tap water).

binners

I see a tax loophole….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFeV0CbvHG8[/video]

Mister-P
    Free Member

Never understood why you would buy bottled water.

Because it’s convenient, thirst quenching and much more healthy than fizzy drinks? I don’t always have the forethought to leave home with a bottle of tap water in my pocket unfortunately.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Because it’s convenient, thirst quenching and much more healthy than fizzy drinks? I don’t always have the forethought to leave home with a bottle of tap water in my pocket unfortunately.

There is that, but quite a few cities have managed to ban it.

Be interesting to see whether sales of other (less healthy?) drinks went up in proportion.

Simple solution would be for shops to simply sell empty sports bottles and cities to install drinking water fountains.

molgrips
    Free Member

Seems like a good idea to me. It’s still cheap enough, but it’ll be a nice little earner for the treasury whilst still being an optional tax.

And we’ll all benefit from that. Or at least we should.

andytherocketeer

on the basis of the amount of disposable plastic used to dispense

25¢ deposit on a bottle here
    although, tbf, most bottled water bottles are just going to be recycled in to fleece or something. only glass and old type plastic coke bottles that will be refilled.

not just sugar that needs something doing to it. salt too.

tricky with irn bru though, which is ace in full fat sugar form. coke etc. with artificial sweeteners just tastes a bit odd, but still tastes pretty much like its sugary version. sugar free irn bru tastes really disgusting.

Cougar

Well, I welcome it. If nothing else, it might mean there’s a greater choice of sugar-free options beyond Diet Coke and water in service stations and corner shops.

kimbers

Definitely a good thing

Obesity is a huge drain on the NHS, and a big rush multiplier for cancer

Real shame they missed an opportunity again to force traffic light labeling as this would help highlight hire unhealthy many low fat options are

Kryton57

As above, it probably won’t be enough of a pricc rise to stop people buying it.

However, from a health perspective the alternatives – diet – drinks have been proven to be pretty bad for you with regular ingestion, I refer to aspartinine, sorbitol etc.

Aren’t we solving one problem but creating another, basically on the assumption that the other problem is currently much smaller that the former problem?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Why be so negative. It could be a win win situation albeit no where as good as it could be. If it reduces sugar consumption then great. If it doesn’t it increase revenue. Great as well. No idea what it will be but why not a quid a litre? That would certainly enhance one of my options.

MSP

However, from a health perspective the alternatives – diet – drinks have been proven to be pretty bad for you with regular ingestion, I refer to aspartinine, sorbitol etc.

Only if your definition of proven is “alleged”.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/the-truth-about-aspartame.aspx

Kryton57

Useful link, I won’t let it prevent me using diet tonic in my gin…

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Can’t be a tax on the poor, surely they would drink water.

copa
    Free Member

Nobody says it but what these kind of sugar taxes imply is that the problem is mainly with poor thick people. They’re not capable of making rational, informed decisions so they need poking with financial disincentives, which are largely irrelevent for the well off.

It helps to prevent these peole from crowding up busy trains, from cluttering up roads in London and it defends them for their insatiable lust to consume alcohol and pop.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Is this a tax on my energy drinks? Will gels be taxed as sugary drinks too?

chewkw
    Free Member

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member
    Is this a tax on my energy drinks? Will gels be taxed as sugary drinks too?

Yes, all drinks apart from pure fruit juice and milk drink …

I think energy drink has much more sugar than any other drinks so you are screwed! Screwed! 😆

mrsfry
    Free Member

Thank gels are classed as food. This new drink tax wont do anything to stop folks drinking them, just less money for the household bills

chewkw
    Free Member

mrsfry – Member
    Thank gels are classed as food. This new drink tax wont do anything to stop folks drinking them, just less money for the household bills

Sugary food will be the next target I am sure. 😮

ninfan
    Free Member

ah well, bye bye coke, hello

br
    Free Member

At what point will they put higher taxes on sugar? I don’t mean sugar in stuff, but sugar itself.

Or how about in the first instance we stop subsidising its production…

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/sugar-beet-claiming-payments

Seems misguided just to aim it at drinks.

andyrm
    Free Member

Has anyone thought retailers might put up all soft drink prices, to unify pricing, and then just make more % margin on “diet” or low/no sugar versions? If I was in the food & drink retail game, that’s what I’d be looking at right now!! If that happens, the disincentive to consumers becomes reduced……

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Tax on sugary drinks’ is closed to new replies.