Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 135 total)
  • Tattoo – how painful?
  • thomasraelburke
    Free Member

ha yeah but not as often as the other two. for the first few years i could get rather inventive with my answers but now people must tell in my tone that im less than impressed as rcently they have followed up with "do you get asked that all the time?" or some are willing to put money on it with "i bet you get asked that all the time!"

When I'm laying on my deathbed, I want to go knowing that I did all the things (or as many as possible) I wanted to do in life – whether that be eating/drinking what I like, starting a bike company, having kids, or getting ink'd.

If I had a good enough reason to murder someone (i.e. they killed a loved one of mine), I'd probably regret not doing it more than I would regret doing it. But who can really say unless they've actually been put in that situation?

Thomas, what do you do for a living? I'd imagine having a face tattoo is pretty prohibitive to most forms of employment.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

I just had my first for my 40th birthday, being thinking about it for 20 years! Didn't really hurt just a bit sore and I wish I had done it years ago!
    And I think they may be addictive!
    Go for it!

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

different strokes of life mate, im a builder and it has absolutely no effect. im sure i wouldnt get a fancy office job with or without said tattoo nor would i want to though. i had a interview for a site manager post where i thought it could have been an issue. peoples first impressions are, well as you would expect, quite often i get a "your quite a nice bloke really arnt you" as they assumed i wasnt… but i am a nice fella most people relise that and im good at my job to which helps 😀

maxray
    Free Member

Painful but not unbearable.

I think they have become more socially acceptable over recent years, obviusly there are pockets who still hold negative views of them but tbh that just shows their small mindedness more than anything. It is not like second hand smoke or something that directly affects others.

It is an art form and as such look for the best artist you can or an artist you like the style of.

chewkw
    Free Member

Tattoo WFT!

Please do it the traditional way by using proper "bamboo needle" tab tab tab … now that's what I call proper.

😈

donsimon
    Free Member

jedi – Member

they make me sleepy and all relaxed having them done.

+ another 1.

hels
    Free Member

Met a guy recently with full Maori face tattoos. He was working at my work for a while, and gave a really interesting presentation about having the tattoos done, wanting to keep the old art alive. (some days I really love my job) There was footage, and they were using the traditional methods too. Never thought to ask him if it hurt but I imagine it did, and rather a lot.

He did say (not in these exact words but the gist) that it is a bit of an areshole filter in that you can pretty much tell what a person is like from their reaction to a set of full face tattoos. Some of the rather conservative views expressed in this topic are such indicators, particulary the chap who seems to consider his daughter some kind of personal property – who can blame her I hope she gets a big old anchor on her forearm.

He was one of the nicest and most interesting people I have met in a long time, BTW.

coffeeking
    Free Member

for me this really isnt the case at all and i was suprised at the popular thinking of this. i have a tattoo on my face and i did not expect the amount of attention it brings good and bad. there are two question i hear multiple times everyday of my life. "is that a tattoo?" and "did it hurt?". this 'attention' which according to you i was trying say to the world, is the only regret i have.

I just can't imagine how you wouldn't expect this to be the case in a society where it's not exactly the norm. What was the purpose of the tattoo, and putting it in a prominant place? Genuine question, I like this debate and have it fairly regularly and calmly so please don't take offence, I'm trying to learn.

He did say (not in these exact words but the gist) that it is a bit of an areshole filter in that you can pretty much tell what a person is like from their reaction to a set of full face tattoos. Some of the rather conservative views expressed in this topic are such indicators, particulary the chap who seems to consider his daughter some kind of personal property – who can blame her I hope she gets a big old anchor on her forearm.

In a society where facefulls of tattoos are roundly associated with some pretty grim individuals (it seems a disproportionate number of violent criminals have prominent tattoos (from general observation)) it is wholely normal to generalise that people covered in tats are more likely to be people you don't want to deal with. That may not be right on a case-by-case basis, and in fact often isn't, but thats like saying you shouldn't be worried by someone carrying a gun because they may be perfectly normal people just going to a target shooting club. The initial reaction will be fear and concern. The obvious difference would be, for me, Maori types, but they are clearly distinct from the stereotypical anchor/football type tattoos in the europe, and as such are an interesting addition, so anyone reacting badly to it would have to be fairly far-sighted. What is the meaning behind their tattoos, are they tribal? As far as I can see they're an outward sign of tribe, rank and power. Seems like a fairly outward sign of self-importance in a way, a bit like driving round in a car because it's good to be seen in. I'm all for driving a good car and not caring what others think, but to drive a car because others think it's good or might be impressed seems like a dumb idea to me. It just seems as though the whole practice of tattooing is based around showing off.

monotokpoint
    Free Member

I've got a 12" tattoo that can only be seen in certain circumstances. Didn't hurt.

Goz
    Free Member

the discomfort varies, at best it sent me to sleep….allmost!

Andy-R

hels – Member

Why, because I expressed the opinion that I thought my daughter would look better without three big f*ck-off tattoos, does that make me an arsehole? – because I think that's what you're implying.
    And where did I infer that I consider her "my property" and what are we supposed to "not blame her" for?

Let me tell you something – if she wants to go and get a "big old anchor" on her forearm (or anywhere else for that matter) then she will, and she'll do it for no other reason than she wants to. Not, as you seem to imagine, as a form of rebellion against her repressive, strait-laced father.

Because, if you knew me, you'd know that I'm neither of those things and if you knew my daughter you'd know that she's not trying to escape the horror of some neo-victorian upbringing (and she is 26..)
    But you don't, of course.

He was one of the nicest and most interesting people I have met in a long time, BTW.

There are a few of us around.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don't like tattoos at all – all tacky and nasty IMO

However as for the "when you are old and wrinkled" aspect – I have looked after a woman in her 70s with tats and piercings. she was a stripper back in the 60s when she had them all done. You know what – she looked like a wrinkly old ladies with tats and piercings. Not remarkable at all.

I think that is a spurious argument based around agism.

molgrips
    Free Member

Please do it the traditional way by using proper "bamboo needle" tab tab tab … now that's what I call proper.

Snob!

saleem
    Free Member

It's strange that every time I sit for a tattoo I love it but every time I see a needle when I have to give a blood sample I whitey and pass out, love tatts but the needles freak me out……..try Woodys in High Wycombe

saleem
    Free Member

proper way. ask martinxyz as he always goes on 27years later about the beating he got from me with a branch when we were kids, my brother lied saying poor marty hit him……..no lasting marks but scared for life emotionally

coffeeking
    Free Member

Probably because one doesn't go quite as deep and fiddle around with your veins (unless you're really unlucky!).

Dawg1505

Think pins n needles that last for a bit longer than normal, but strangely i have to agree with one of the above and say it is actually quite peaceful to have done…

Had the above done about a year ago, and still get some funny looks that i have a dirty chainring on my leg, the redness is due to this picture being taken about 2hrs after i had it done..

Only advice i would offer is get something done that is personal to you and means something to you..

Woody
    Free Member

I've got a 12" tattoo that can only be seen in certain circumstances. Didn't hurt.

But how bored was the toattooist having to repeat the pattern several times ?

Just kidding 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

had the above done about a year ago, and still get some funny looks that i have a dirty chainring on my leg,

Thats because it has no bolt-holes? Schoolboy error.

saleem
    Free Member

coffeeking…….even before they get near me with the needle, can watch needles on tv

coffeeking
    Free Member

I quite enjoy injections, but hate blood tests. ?!? Plenty of odd mental processes here!

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I've got quite a few, and to echo what other people have said, it hurts, but it's bearable, and in a weird way almost pleasurable. The only other thing I'd say is that some people will judge you because you've got tats, so think about where you're going to have it,and if possible, make sure it's somewhere you can cover it up if you need to.

maxray
    Free Member

"it seems a disproportionate number of violent criminals have prominent tattoos (from general observation)"

Sounds more like general stereotyping! I would love to see some research on people with tattoos and what they do, I think it would be quite suprising.

"It just seems as though the whole practice of tattooing is based around showing off"

Again can't agree, I think they can be very personal be it something to remember someone by or to mark a significant period in ones life. Surely you show off about things that other people will be jealous of i.e a car a salary an iphone etc not something that, as this thread shows is not widely accepted or appreciated?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Sounds more like general stereotyping! I would love to see some research on people with tattoos and what they do, I think it would be quite suprising.

There was a recent bit of research on peoples "view" of what a criminal looked like, the only item that was present in EVERY reply was tattoos (something like thousands of replies to survey). So yes, the stereotype is certainly present in most people. But I'm not suggesting tattoo owners ARE more likely to be crims, just that most crims have them hence the link in peoples minds.

Again can't agree, I think they can be very personal be it something to remember someone by or to mark a significant period in ones life. Surely you show off about things that other people will be jealous of i.e a car a salary an iphone etc not something that, as this thread shows is not widely accepted or appreciated?

Many people like being the "bad boy/girl" and like having a conversation starter or an "edgy" look, hence the choice of something that is generally "frowned" upon.

maxray
    Free Member

"most crims have them" along with a swag bag and zoro style face mask 😉

I don't believe that most crims have them or that a greater proportion of them have them compared to the percentage of people in the uk with one. Would love to see some figures on that though.

"Many people like being the "bad boy/girl" and like having a conversation starter or an "edgy" look, hence the choice of something that is generally "frowned" upon. "

Again that isnt really showing off imo, that is someone trying to be different from other people, whether that is an attempt to shock or just not conform or whatever doesnt really matter.

There is nothing wrong with treading your own path in life 🙂

diggers
    Free Member

They're just another fashion accessory now though, it's part of the 'look' for emo kids to have a comedy fringe and some star tattoos an infant could have drawn.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I don't believe that most crims have them or that a greater proportion of them have them compared to the percentage of people in the uk with one. Would love to see some figures on that though.

I've no figures to show you I'm afraid, but considering ALL the "bad lads" from when I was young got them.

CountZero

C_g, one point that hasn't been made about the discomfort, which is all it is, is that it stops pretty much straight away, as soon as the inking stops. Taking a couple of parasitomol or ibuprofen helps a bit, but there's only a little discomfort afterwards, much less than riding through a patch of stinging nettles, I can tell you! Mine have significance to me, aren't very obtrusive, and I don't much give a toss about other people's attitude to tattoos. I don't like ‘me too’ tatts, where someone just points to some flash and says ‘I'll have that one’ a generic dolphin or spurious bit of ‘tribal’ blackwork. I thought long and hard for over fifteen years before I got my first one done five years ago, and I'm 56 this year. Go for it, girl, but be really certain it's something you love and can live with. I designed mine, but a good artist is a blessing.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

My toes friggin' hurt when i got them done 😳

CountZero

this one's my favourite. Thought about having it filled in, but I prefer the outline, as it represents an imaginary chalk hill figure.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

CountZero – inspired by this..??

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They're just another fashion accessory now though, it's part of the 'look' for emo kids to have a comedy fringe and some star tattoos an infant could have drawn.

But they ALWAYS have been. That's why they exist. When I had my first few done, Celic designs were 'in fashion' which was what got me thinking about a tattoo in the first place – I saw the new Celtic stuff and liked it, so I got some done. I still like them, 15+ years later. And I still want more…..

I think a lot of peoples' perceptions as to what tattoos are about or look like nowadays are somewhat outdated.

If you get chance, check out the work of Dalmiro. I find his work (on skin and on canvas) pretty amazing.

Adders69
    Free Member

This site should be a salutary lesson in the need for planning (spelling) and good design decisions … http://www.tattoodisasters.com/

coffeeking
    Free Member

lol

IanMmmm
    Free Member

On bones or particularly tender areas – like the inside of your upper arm hurts. Otherwise it's not too bad.

So this hurt quite a bit.

cinnamon_girl

Well, what can I say? Didn't expect this number of replies and it has certainly been interesting reading.

I suppose what I was really hoping for was someone to say "I wish I hadn't" but nobody did.

To be truthful, I'm not 100% certain about this. I'm a woman which means I like to change my mind. Do I want to make a statement? Can I make a statement with a discreet tattoo? Do I want to define myself? Do I need to do this to say "this is me"?

I'm happy with who I am, most of the time, but … I took a look in the mirror. 👿

The word "botox" shouted at me and suddenly it became more important. Have found myself investigating this and really fancy taking the plunge. Don't suppose anyone has any experience? Nope, thought not! Or would not want to admit to it!

Thanks for all your replies, it's been enlightening to say the least. 🙂

CountZero

aka_Gilo, no, my tattoo was inspired by this:

it's around 5000 years older, and when I first concieved the idea, I didn't even realise Bath Ales existed, although they're only around twelve miles from me. I can see the similarity, but their logo wasn't an influence, they have no pubs where I live, or sell through any I go to.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

LOL, in fairness though CZ, I thought when I saw your pic, **** me, he's only gone and tattooed himself with the Bath Ales logo. You do live around Bath don't you? Your design looks more like a hare than a horse to me.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘Tattoo – how painful?’ is closed to new replies.