Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Talk to me about…. a 3 day cycle holiday in the Netherlands
  • hb70

Looking to do a 3 day trip. Overnight ferries from Hull, either side of 3 days of c60/70 mile a day gentle riding. Staying in basic hotels, nice places to eat and visit. Probably 4 or 6 of us. Anyone done something similar, recommendations, tips, websites and thoughts all most welcome. Many thanks in advance for your collective wisdom.

ton

yes, we did a week. it was ace.
    from rotterdam go left up the coast to Haarlam. cracking buzzing little town. stayed in a ibis.
    then we headed across to edam without going into amsterdam. coast up edam are is lovely.
    we then headed to amsterdam for a couple of days. stayed in a amazing hotel on the islands to the north east of amsterdam. 30 minutes cycle into dam center. hotel was the Amadi panorama.
    the back to rotterdam via leiden and the hague.

brilliant trip on a amazing cycle infrastructure. ace cafe’s and ace beer. brilliant cycle shops.
    we are going again to look for a flat or apartment to possibly buy.

tjagain
    duncancallum

I used to do the nijemagen marches.

Lovely country. Gets a bit hilly towards Germany too.

Arnhem, grave, beers and nijemagen all lovely towns

olddonald

did a solo trip using the ferry from Hull – such a civilised way to travel – food, beer, bed and you are there rolling down the ramp. 5 or 6 day tour – did the WW2 market garden route and museums. started to see some hills north of Arnhem – but it was flat…very flat. Broken up by river / cannal ferry crossings – rarely cycled on the road – all cycle paths. Great coffee and apple cake stops everywhere. Really easy holiday- no stress – and when I stopped to look at a map – I was usually hunted down by the Dutch to help me out. Literally within seconds of a map coming out. Also given beer and food when i tuned up a campsites – unbelievable – was on a fully loaded tourer. Liked Nijmengen – coffee down by the river – excellent near the bridge. Bonkers how they took that in WW2.

mick_r

Ooh this is great! We’ve used that ferry loads of times and have a plan to do this kind of trip in the next few years now kids are almost grown up.

I’m presuming that the car just gets left in the ferry terminal multi-storey? Is it fairly straight forward to pedal out of there? I’m presuming it is mostly used by foot passengers and that there will be a barrier on the car exit (just squeeze round it on the bike?)

ton

loads of perking at Hull ferry port. then just follow the signs to the boat.
    we also leave our car in Portsmouth for french cycling trips.

hb70

Brill thanks all. Really helpful

nowad
    Free Member

From Hull you will land above Zandvoort if correct not the Hook. From Zandvoort do Harlem, great little place as is Zandvoort especially if warm.
    Depending on what way you travel then either down to the Hague.
    Hague across the flood defences down to Middelburg which is a great ride.
    Alternatively not to the Hague and a circle the other way to Arnhem via Woerden and Ultrect.
    Then home via Eindhoven, Antwerp, middleburg, Hook, Hague, Zandvoort.
    Jobs a goodun.

misteralz
    Free Member

Nope, Hull is Hoek. Newcastle is IJmuiden.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about…. a 3 day cycle holiday in the Netherlands’ is closed to new replies.