Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Taking off Thule roof bars
  • IainAhh
    Free Member

Hi,

I have a 2000 Focus estate with roof rails and a Thule roof bars.

It is the older 755 model approx 10 years old.
    I am trying to take them off, I managed to get the locks off but I can't remember how to get the clamps off.

This is what they look like.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THULE-ROOF-RACK-RAIL-BARS-LOCKS-VW-TIGUAN-07-761-755_W0QQitemZ390026849573QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5acf696d25

Any one got similar and can enlighten me.

Thanks Iain

DickBarton

The end piece of the bar pulls out a few cm's then you turn them anti-clockwise and the jaws open…

AndyRT
    Free Member

pull the plastic bit out (where the lock is) and turn it anti clockwise, as it has a flimsy steel square rod that turns a worm thread on the actual clamp.

Hope that helps

headfirst
    Free Member

the locks had a long rod going into the bars right? put these back into the bars until they engage and then unscrew them – turn them anti-clockwise and the clamps will start releasing – keep on turning!

IainAhh
    Free Member

Thanks I will try that after work.

Cheers Iain

IainAhh
    Free Member

Hi,

Update ..

Thanks for the advice.
    I got three of the locks off no bother but last one corroded, wouldn't budge with all the usual WD40 etc.

Alarmingly it too 5 secs with a hacksaw to cut through the long rod and remove the lock and a minute or so to remove the bar.

On a plus side I have carried lots of bikes and expensive windsurfing gear for years and it was all still there when I came back.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Taking off Thule roof bars’ is closed to new replies.