Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Tackling obesity.
  • deepreddave
    Free Member

Education and taxes are powerful tools when correctly used together.

anagallis_arvensis

Are you suggesting that people can do neither?

More than you think I expect

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I suspect that we merely disagree on the correct verb!

Myfitnesspal is a godsend. I made the bad choice about a year ago to buy a Costa coffee and aargh their millionaire’s shortbread while waiting for a delayed train. Checked the nutritional content on mfp and was shocked. But learned the lessons (almost ! )

Shouldn’t we be blaming biology teachers though 😉 or is nutrition off syllabus 😉 ?

fifeandy
    Free Member

If you can read and understand it.

Are you suggesting that people can do neither?
    [/quote]

Go spend a few 100 hours online gaming.
    It will beat any optimism you have about the general population right out of you.
    Reading – maybe
    Understanding – not a chance

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The referendum did that!

anagallis_arvensis

Shouldn’t we be blaming biology teachers though or is nutrition off syllabus ?

Its on it but it always amazes me that so many 15 year olds dont already know about carbs or fats or protein through general living and talking with parents.

onewheelgood

The government has declined to tackle obesity seriously because they have a secret plan. Brexit has made oil imports more expensive, so they’re going to render fat people down for oil to help out with the balance of payments and reduce the NHS costs at the same time.

zilog6128

But.. I’d rather have a bowl of Coco pops!

I think this is a massive part of the problem… generations of people literally brainwashed into believing that the only thing they can eat for breakfast is cereal, and that industrially processed rice/wheat from a packet is actually good for you and/or a proper meal.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

But.. I’d rather have a bowl of Coco pops!

I think this is a massive part of the problem… generations of people literally brainwashed into believing that the only thing they can eat for breakfast is cereal, and that industrially processed rice/wheat from a packet is actually good for you and/or a proper meal. [/quote]
    So the question you have to ask youself is “Why?”.

MrSmith
    Free Member

People only have themselves to blame, as for a large section of society it’s always somebody else’s problem as to why they are fat or have a poor diet.
    All part of the blame culture, its easy to point your finger at somebody else and not address your own failings.

I see these people in the supermarkets every day, their trollies are full of boxes and packets that are a riot of colour/refined white flour/sugar/high GI processed foods.

There is no excuse.

ninfan
    Free Member

People only have themselves to blame, as for a large section of society it’s always somebody else’s problem as to why they are fat or have a poor diet.

Or depression, or anorexia, or PTSD, or alcoholism, or drug addiction

MrSmith
    Free Member

then help is available from the NHS (to varying degrees) if you just like too much pizza and sitting in front of the TV when you come home from your sedentary job who’s fault is it you are overweight? the supermarket? the government? or you?

zilog6128

So the question you have to ask youself is “Why?”.

Money, I guess. Backhanders from Big Cereal? Who knows. Maybe just ignorance – nutritional advice from the Government has been wrong for decades.

mikey74
    Free Member

Calories in 100g porridge oats – 384
    Calories in 100g coco-pops – 387
    Calories in 100g special K – 378
    Massive difference, eh?

If you think it’s that simple I suggest you do a bit more research.

jekkyl

pringles are down to a quid in tesco, even Salt n Vinegar flavour. Happy Dayz. Yum I love pringles. Sorry what were we discussing?

ahwiles
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member

People only have themselves to blame,

All part of the blame culture

There is no excuse.

1) oh the ironing.

but 2) we’re trying to move past blame/excuses, to ‘what can we do about it’…

or, more specifically: ‘what can (should?) the government do about it?’

in my humble opinion it’s about time the nanny state actually got involved and did some bloody nannying.

(not my line, but ‘if the state was a nanny, and looking after your kids, you’d sack it’)

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

yes to a large extent its personal responsibility to eat well but if people are misinformed deliberately a huge industry then its very hard- try deciphering such terms as no added sugar or the difference between wholemeal or wheatmeal bread where products are marketed to look healthy but may not be , then go look at any product, say peanut butter which most perceive as healthy ,compare the ingredients between the most expensive [ and less adulterated ][ and the cheapest which will have palm oil and sugar and salt and you cansee its not so easy.yes make good choices but have an industry that informs those choices rather than confusing your choices in order to maximise their and the governments profits.

El-bent
    Free Member

in my humble opinion it’s about time the nanny state actually got involved and did some bloody nannying.

This. In spades.

There is no excuse.

Well clearly there is. Its the often quoted “freedom of choice”. Like most things where freedom of choice is used in this country, it becomes a free for all.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Alternatively teach a man to fish..,

mikey74
    Free Member

Ultimately, humans are social animals and like to feel part of the crowd; hence the reluctance to do something, or live in a way, that challenges social convention. Therefore, we need to change social convention by changing the way society thinks as a whole.

Easier said than done, but laws banning fast food advertising, and other such accepted behaviour, would be a good start.

gerti
    Free Member

For those beating on about ‘taking personal responsibility’, are you unaware that it is 2016 and therefore it’s always somebody else’s fault.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I think we’ve reached a position, again, where it’s clear that many people are not as well equiped as some on here to make decisions for themselves. (perhaps they are trying but are continually being lied to. The big advertising on healthy food is still that low fat is good).
    I am quite clear in my own mind that lambasting the govt for not taking the initiative here is not the same as blaming the govt directly for our current position.
    Those that say it’s their own choice. Where do we go from here? Do we just let them get fatter and die off? Do we sit back in our own slim and comfortable smugness and do nothing? Which is effectively what you’re saying. And you’re pobably correct, it’s is their responsibility, they did make the choice and why should we do anything to help make their lives better. It’s a noble attitude until you want some help or are unable to do something for yourselves.
    It’s a right royal mess we’ve made for ourselves.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

gerti – Member 
    For those beating on about ‘taking personal responsibility’, are you unaware that it is 2016 and therefore it’s always somebody else’s fault.

😀

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Tackling obesity.’ is closed to new replies.