Home Forums Bike Forum T5 tow bar bike rack

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • T5 tow bar bike rack
  • hainman
    Free Member

Just got my  T5 and looking for a 3 or 4 bike rack for tow bar,Had a look at a Thule 9503 but stupidly forgot to take the bike when checking it fitted the Van,I have an OLD Whitter rack and the wheels get clamped around the back of the area and ideally i’d like a rack that has more room for the longer bikes,Mine is a Bird Aeris,120cm wheel base and carry my mates XL Whyte 170,which is longer again,

I had thought about the Buzzrack’s Buzzwing but it states not suitable for T5,due to tailgate,which i have barn doors, but assume it won’t open doors even when hitched back,Not a big drama as all the gear would be accessed from side door,Ive seen the Altera strada but way out my price range

what is everyone using to carry their bike

cheers

trailwagger
    Free Member

I have that Buzzrack (for sale actually), and it will not allow the barn doors to open. Wasn’t a problem for me because there was no need to open those doors. Very good rack though, solid build, easy on off, lockable to towbar and individual bikes.

damascus
    Free Member

There is a barn door rack for sale in the classifieds (2 bike)

I was interested in it until he told me he was buying one if these.  Atera dl3. Now I want one too!

backinireland
    Free Member

I have the atera for my T5

extension for fourth bike as well

very solid bit of kit and only one which allowed me to open the tailgate

have a rack on roof as well but only ever used for road bike

to be honest rack only ever gets used for holidays and big family trips away as normally lob bikes in back

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Buzzrack Quattro is a great bit of kit and great value too. You’ll probably not be able to open barn doors or tailgate as the tilt mechanism only does that….tilt, it doesn’t tilt and move away from the rear, so on my SMax I couldn’t open the tailgate….but wasn’t a feature that was important to me anyway and for the price…less than half that for the Altea or Thule equivalent, it was unbeatable. What I liked about it was the way you loaded bikes, a far better configuration than both the Altea and Thule, just a superior design avoiding the awkward arms having to be threaded through frames, and was a far more important feature to me – so much quicker and easier. It’s heavy though, but not an issue with a T5 and the nose weight capacity you have, just a bit of a PITA to load onto the tow bar.

I’ve got a T5 camper and put the bikes in the van if its not loaded up, and if it is on the proper VW tailgate rack…which is a proper faff compared to the Buzzrack, nowhere near as good – but more convenient as it folds up and don’t need a tow bar.

NZCol

I’ve got a DL3 which will be listed soon as i no longer have a car or van with a towbar – was a great bit of kit as you could open the tailgate.Long bars made it harder but you could get it past.

damascus
    Free Member

Nzcol I’ve sent you a message.

I’m after a dl3

Thanks

craigbroadbent
    Free Member

DL racks are only quoted to 120cm wheelbase, so I suspect not big enough,

Atera Verio and Evo go to 125.

Thule Velospace 130

Atera Ebike M 143cm

I suggest you ensure the width is at least 250mm as the boost forks are wide too.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Just reviving this – will anything other than the Atera DL3 work with a T5 Tailgate?

phil5556

Scorpion Rack apparently will http://www.scorpionracks.com

We’re looking at fitting a tow bar and looking at racks as the tailgate one on the T5 isn’t any good for bigger bikes.

I want to see the Scorpion Rack in the flesh to see if it’s any good.

nickdavies

You need a flanged tow bar for the scorpion rack on the t5, might be an issue if it’s a pre existing fixed bar.

DL is the best option but bear in mind wide bars won’t clear the boot on the inner rack.

phil5556

You need a flanged tow bar for the scorpion rack on the t5, might be an issue if it’s a pre existing fixed bar.

How come? The rack works with either a flange bolt on adapter or clamps to a ball.
    I liked the idea of the flange plate anyway as it’s the only thing we’d use a towbar for.

Have you seen the Scorpion Rack out in the wild?

VanHalen

scorpion is only 2 bikes which is limiting. The maxx raxx does more but you need a ‘normal’ bike.

nickdavies

How come? The rack works with either a flange bolt on adapter or clamps to a ball.

It does on a car, but on the t5 because of the angle you can only bolt it to the flange. Check the website.

phil5556

It does on a car, but on the t5 because of the angle you can only bolt it to the flange. Check the website.

Can’t find that on their site at the moment, I’m not disputing it though.

I’d really love to see one in action and try our bikes on it.

nickdavies

Tow ball mounted rack setup and usage:

When transporting bikes the rack should be positioned in either of the ‘A’ or ‘B’ positions NOT the ‘C’ position as shown on the diagram above.

‘C’ is the van position. There’s a whole page if you click on ‘the rack’ section of the menu. Flange mounted allows it. I only know because I liked the idea, but I’ve already got a fixed bar, and I really don’t want to pay to change that. Especially when I’ve already got a £500 genuine boot rack, that barely takes 2 enduro bikes. #scenetax 🙄

phil5556

Found it now cheers. I’ll report back if I get around to getting one.

phil5556

I’ve got a cheaper Thule tailgate rack. It’s fine for lighter, shorter non-boost hardtails but full suss, wide barred boost trail bikes really don’t fit well. And getting in to the boot is a PITA obviously.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

FWIW, I have a DL3 rack and don’t really rate it at all despite everyone else raving about them. Build quality I don’t think is as good as the Thule kit I’ve used in the past and its a massive PITA to get bikes on (you have to plan ahead how many bikes are going on and what sizes/frame shapes to feed the arms through/under/above frames on the first bike you put on).

If I get a tailgate conversion done on my T5 then I’ll be getting a genuine VW rack and getting shot of mine…

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Interesting DBW – I’m getting rid of the standard VW tailgate rack for a number of reasons! I’ve had the DL3 in the past and it was better in almost all regards for me – admittedly this was for car use. However I’ve very quickly given up on the VW rack since it came fitted on my van……..

phil5556

If I get a tailgate conversion done on my T5 then I’ll be getting a genuine VW rack and getting shot of mine…

I’m sure the VW Rack is probably better than my Thule but it will have the same issues. The arms will still need threading past the shocks and funny shape FS frames, the tracks are (maybe?) too narrow for modern chunky tyres and if you’ve got wide bars or boost you might not be able to use position 1 for the first bike and have to leave a gap for the next one too.

Our smaller hard tails were always fine on it though.

Oh, and getting in the boot is a royal PITA.

Andy

following

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Just spoke to a bike rack supplier who reckons several of the Thule tow bar racks can be adjusted to clear the T5 tailgate…

beagle
    Free Member

Hey all. Reading this with interest. S’cuze the spam, but I’m on the look out for a genuine t5 rack. Please drop a PM if you have one.

Cheers!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

@beagle – I do. Will PM you.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘T5 tow bar bike rack’ is closed to new replies.