Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Syria – Nice friends they have
  • mcboo
    Free Member

So the UN passes a resolution, calls for the government to end the violence and Assad to step aside.

Votes for 137

Votes against 12

Syria
    Russia
    China
    Iran
    Venezuela
    North Korea
    Nicaragua
    Bolivia
    Ecuador
    Belarus
    Zimbabwe
    Cuba

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17065056

IanMunro
    Free Member

IIRC (which I probably haven’t), the resolution also called for democracy to be introduced.
    So in fairness, it would have been pretty hypocritical for many of the above to have voted yes.
    Just keeping their integrity 🙂

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Had NATO not abused the UN resolution on Libya and used it as a carte blance for regime change there may have been a different outcome on the Syrian issue. As it is Syrians are paying the price for NATO’s aggrandisment.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Chinese Deputy Foreign Minister Zhai Jun, who will go to Damascus on Friday, condemned violence against civilians and called for the government to respect the people’s “legitimate” desire for reform.

They have changed their tune a little?

IanMunro
    Free Member

But presumably this is also about regime change? Otherwise why demand that Assad step aside as part of the resolution?

mcboo
    Free Member

As it is Syrians are paying the price for NATO’s aggrandisment.

Right-oh. Our fault again.

In other words you agree that Assad and the Ba’ath party should cut out the violence and step down yes?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member

Had NATO not abused the UN resolution on Libya and used it as a carte blance for regime change there may have been a different outcome on the Syrian issue. As it is Syrians are paying the price for NATO’s aggrandisment.

This

wallace1492
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member

Think the Libyan Opposition were the ones wanting regime change…. NATO just helped. Anyway Syria is a different kettle of fish. the $4bn arms contracts with Russia will keep the ruskies in with Syria.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There was no single “Libyan opposition” – the country is now split into fiefdoms where militas run free killing and torturing.

Quite reasonable to say “Nato breached the resolution on Libya and ruined another country – veto this one”

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Who do you think prompted the ‘opposition’ to act both in Libya and Syria?

War by other means…

IanMunro
    Free Member

Quite reasonable to say “Nato breached the resolution on Libya and ruined another country – veto this one”

Uhuh.
    Or they could say “This is a terrible situation, rather than let Nato do the dirty work, we’ll demonstrate how it should be done correctly.”
    Well they could say that if it wasn’t against their vested interests.

I suspect that much of the reason that this vote has failed is that the USA doesn’t really give a monkeys about the place at the moment, and as such hasn’t been applying the normal inducements to other countries to try and get them to comply.

wrecker
    Free Member

Yes, we should just let Assad clean its back yard instead of ensuring regime chance (maybe we should have let Gadaffi quash the Libyan uprising too?) . He can’t be that bad can he? he’s just swatting pesky “terrorists” after all.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Such a good job we did with libya. No one died, smooth transition to democracy, stable government 🙄

Many thousands killed and the fighting and killing is still going on with detention without trial, torture and extra judical killings rife

wallace1492
    Free Member

Civil wars are quite mucky TJ, not very many have a peaceful outcome. There is no ideal resolution.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

yes but there would have been no civil war if we had not intervened – we armed the militas, ecourged them and gave them air support and intel.

Do you really think Libya is a better place now?

(Reuters) – Rival militias fought a gunbattle near office buildings and a five-star hotel in the centre of the Libyan capital on Wednesday, underscoring how volatile the country still is three months on from Muammar Gaddafi’s death.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/01/us-libya-tripoli-battle-idUSTRE8101AN20120201

A damning report by Amnesty International says that a year after the uprising against Muammar Gaddafi, Libya’s militias are “largely out of control”, with the use of torture ubiquitous and the country’s new rulers unable – or unwilling – to prevent abuses.

The report says that the “hundreds of armed militias” that took part in the overthrow of Gaddafi’s regime continue to operate more or less independently of the central authorities. Since the fall of Tripoli last August, the militias have failed to disband – and now pose a serious threat to a democratic Libya.

Additionally, there is overwhelming evidence that Libya’s victorious militias use torture. Thousands of detainees are being held in various prisons across the country. In at least 12 cases since October, prisoners have been tortured to death, including Omar Brebesh, Libya’s former ambassador to France, who died in Tripoli last month.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/16/amnesty-widespread-torture-libyan-militias?newsfeed=true

wrecker
    Free Member

Fair comments TJ and I’m in complete agreement. There is also a point to be made that people were going to die in Libya whether NATO got involved or not as they are in Syria currently. There was already civil war in Libya, before NATO got there.

detention without trial, torture and extra judical killings rife

This was happening in Libya anyway. It’s not ideal of course but it’s hardly worse than before.

wallace1492
    Free Member

I think we intervened after it kicked off. Anyway are you suggesting that the Libyans were better off under Ghadaffi? I am sure there were plenty of abuses and deaths under his regime.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There was no civil war in Libya before nato got there – the was small lightly armed uprising in one area that we encouraced and nursed into a full blown civil war.

Its a damn sight worse now than before. Same as Iraq.

How many more people have to die and how many more people radicalised against he west before we stop? The death toll from western military intervention in the middle east is millions and not one single country that we interfered in is better off now than before.

Lifer
    Free Member

We backed a side for the sole reason that it wasn’t Gadaffi. That’s no way to choose someone to start selling weapons to/providing massive air support for (as British Foreign policy of the past 60 years should show!)

How many resolutions against Israel has the US vetoed by themselves?

And I agree with:

If given an inch you take 500 miles, you should not be surprised when in future nobody will give you half an inch. That is the context of Russian and Chinese veto of any UNSCR authorising action against Syria. The total disregard for the spirit and precise wording of the resolutions on Libya to which Russia and China agreed, has stymied the chances of future united security council action, perhaps for many years.

Craig Murray

vinnyeh

Sometimes things get worse before they get better…

There was no civil war in Libya before nato got there – the was small lightly armed uprising in one area that we encouraced and nursed into a full blown civil war.

I don’t think so, I was under the impression that there was full on rebellion under way before the UN first admonished Gadaffi.

If there had been no intervention, and the rebellion had been crushed, what do you think the death toll under Gadaffi’s reprisals would have looked like.
    While the current situation is not ideal, at least Gadaffi is gone, and there is a chance of change.

wallace1492
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Its a damn sight worse now than before. Same as Iraq.

How many more people have to die and how many more people radicalised against he west before we stop? The death toll from western military intervention in the middle east is millions and not one single country that we interfered in is better off now than before.

The uprising may or may not have spread without help, but it would have led to terrible bloodshed. If we had done nothing there is a very good chance it would be worse still than it is now, maybe not.

Millions in the Middle East? More like tens/hundreds of millions – We have been at it since the Romans, the Crusaders. It is a rather entrenched and volitile place, always has been, probably always will be. Rights and wrongs done on both sides. Very hard to get solution, without some very fprward thinking peopel, even then far too many with entrenched views to allow compromise. Very sad.

Lifer
    Free Member

The uprising may or may not have spread without help, but it would have led to terrible bloodshed. If we had done nothing there is a very good chance it would be worse still than it is now, maybe not.

Which is why the resolution was passed to protect civillians. Not to provide air support for rebel advances.

wrecker
    Free Member

Which is why the resolution was passed to protect civillians. Not to provide air support for rebel advances.

Rebel is one word, many others are available. Che was called a rebel by many.
    So, we’re anti rebel and pro Assad then?
    It’s right that Syria can clean house without reprisal?

ransos
    Free Member

I think we intervened after it kicked off. Anyway are you suggesting that the Libyans were better off under Ghadaffi? I am sure there were plenty of abuses and deaths under his regime.

Can we be sure that the Libyans are better off now? I’m far from convinced…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Given the breakdown in civil society, the absence of any rule of law, the destriuction of infrastructure and the continuing civil was with torture and murder by the militas I am certain not.

What is now known, however, is that while the death toll in Libya when Nato intervened was perhaps around 1,000-2,000 (judging by UN estimates), eight months later it is probably more than ten times that figure. Estimates of the numbers of dead over the last eight months – as Nato leaders vetoed ceasefires and negotiations – range from 10,000 up to 50,000. The National Transitional Council puts the losses at 30,000 dead and 50,000 wounded

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/oct/26/libya-war-saving-lives-catastrophic-failure

Lifer
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

“Which is why the resolution was passed to protect civillians. Not to provide air support for rebel advances.”

Rebel is one word, many others are available. Che was called a rebel by many.
    So, we’re anti rebel and pro Assad then?
    It’s right that Syria can clean house without reprisal?

Che 😆

No I’m not on anyone’s side. Do you know who the Free Syrian Army are funded/backed by?

wallace1492
    Free Member

ransos – Member

Can we be sure that the Libyans are better off now? I’m far from convinced…

I am far from convinced as well. The rebels/Freedom Fighters/Terrorists started it, where would it have gone without NATO help, I don’t think anyone can answer that. Those that were oppressed are better off, but now they are doing the opressing. Better before or after? I don’t know, but there is plenty of room for improvement.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Also from the Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jan/25/libya-not-divided-country

The great thing about comment for free is they’ll invariably be an article to support a particular personal outlook 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Che

Are you denying that? Some consider him a terrorist, some a hero. Same with the Free Syrian Army.
    Should Egypt have put its rebellion down? It could have done so if it pleased, as could Lybia (which it was doing until NATO intervened).

What if we had an uprising against the govt here? Would you like someone to intervene or feel it acceptable for the Army to come out and start brassing everyone up?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If we had an uprising would it be right for Russia to blow up the UK airforce and to arm the rebels? say the IRA?

Lifer
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

Che

Are you denying that? Some consider him a terrorist, some a hero. Same with the Free Syrian Army.

He was an identifiable figure with identifiable motives/goals. I was laughing at the spurious comparison.

wrecker
    Free Member

identifiable motives/goals

And the syrian rebels haven’t? Hardly spurious.
    More an example than a comparison though (one mans terrorist etc).

Don’t answer a question with a question TEEJ!

Lifer
    Free Member

What are their motives then?

IanMunro
    Free Member

If we had an uprising would it be right for Russia to blow up the UK airforce and to arm the rebels? say the IRA?

You need a better straw man than that.

epicyclo

TandemJeremy – Member
    If we had an uprising would it be right for Russia to blow up the UK airforce and to arm the rebels? say the IRA Scots?

Mmmmmm…. 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So – we going to march into Saudi Arabia then? Great human rights record there

wrecker
    Free Member

Why why why do you always avoid an debate by deflecting by using an irrelevant comparison. Want to talk about SA, start a new thread.

MSP

It is relevant though, if its about stopping abuse and torture, it should be the same for all nations, not just the ones that don’t play footsie.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Syria – Nice friends they have’ is closed to new replies.