Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Suzuki Jimny – whaddya think?
  • DickBarton

I prefer the indicator on the ‘wrong’ side…means I can still look cool as I drive 1 handed with my arm resting on the window ledge…I can steer and indicate with just 1 finger…;-)

cozz
    Free Member

my brother has one, hes teh worst car owner going

hes had it 5 years, it was5 years old when bought

Hes never cleaned it, seviced it or anything

Its passed all 5 MOT’s in that time needing couple of tyres and a wiper blade and a clutch cable

very reliable and fairly capable

If you want something better built Id look at the shogun pinnin

swamp_boy

I’ve hired them on holidays

Always been soft tops, wouldn’t have one of those here because the other posters are right, they never fit properly and are a security issue.

Other than that they are a very competent off roader, with proper low range / 4wd transfer box and good ground clearance. I’d have a tin top for work in this country, but they are a bit too small for what I need and not great for long distances. One scaled up to Defender 90 size would be just the job, preferably diesel. Can’t speak for reliability but most Japanese stuff is pretty good.

3bikeman
    Free Member

Mrs3bikeman uses one for her work which involves driving down narrow lanes, often muddy. – width and length spot on, easy to turn in tight spaces [field gates etc].

we live several hundred yards on an unmade road – on a hill. cant get up once its snowed in 2 wheel drive Golf etc – easy peasy in Jimney – had to pull 2 neighbours cars out this morning because of snow and ice.

Last winter deep snow on Blackdowns – no problems.

Driving on roads dual carrageway 60- 70 no problems – this is our second one in 5 years – get one with AC for the summer though.
    fuel consumption is not brilliant 35-40 – wish they would make a diesel.
    No boot have to put seats down – bike carrier either on back or roof. you have to remove both wheels to get a bike in the back.

stumpy01

Sister used to have a Pinin. It was pretty good, but not a great deal of room in the back. GDI engine sounds like a diesel when cold.
    Supposed to be capable off-road, but not sure she ever took it across more than a muddy field.

Servicing was expensive at main dealer.
    Never been in a Jimny but from the descriptions on here the Pinin sounds like it would have better manners on road.

epicyclo

Had a Vitara in Oz as a sort of 4×4 lite (had a Toyota for the serious stuff).

Got it bogged in mud up to its axles once, put it in low range and it just drove out. Had a lot more respect for it after that.

The only thing I didn’t like about it was its lethal rear axle behaviour if you gave it some welly on a rough road. I suspect the Jimny would be similar.

hora
    Free Member

For the money/05 money you could buy a non-turbo forester on steel wheels. Mine was utterly awe-inspiring for handling and alround usability/assurance

hora
    Free Member

If you are not doing serious off roading the forester offers more in buckets. All imo of course

CountZero

A Forester is much bigger than a Jimny, Autoexpress were only getting 24.5/gal on their test vehicle, a 2.0 litre, and it’s Group 15 insurance against the Gp 7 of a Jimny. Please, be realistic, the OP specifically pointed out the requirement for a small, cheap second car. A Forester fails every one of those requirements. I would laugh in your face If you suggested I replace my Skoda with one. 24.5 against the 45-63/gallon I get in my 1.9TDi? Get real, I’m earning nowhere near enough to afford to run one, and I’d be surprised if the OP would even consider one as a second car.

hora
    Free Member

33/34 average on group 11. From memory they tested a automatic forester not a manual. For the record my 2.0lt petrol Legacy averaged 40mpg at 80 on the motorway compared to 33 for a 1.6 toyota auris.

Or 39 in a new shape 1.3 Yaris.

Oh and I found at a constant 55 I hit 50mpg in the legacy.

Ps. The yaris cost more to insure than the forester.

Woody
    Free Member

The reports I’ve read seem to suggest the Forester should get a lot more than that – well into the 30’s in mixed driving on the non-turbo + motor journo’s are notoriously heavy on the right foot, especially when someone else is paying for the fuel.

I was seriously thinking of getting one until Hora recommended it 8)

Inbred456
    Free Member

Hora are you sure a petrol legacy can hit 40mpg at 80mph! It seems that Subaru have developed a perpetual motion device that is more efficient than a Yaris of half the weight and half the engine size of said Subaru. I thought you canna change the laws of Physics but you obviously can. What a load of B@ll@cks! (And its running an extra prop and diff etc etc.)

hora
    Free Member

One word, gearing.

At 80 my Legacy sat at 3,000rpm.

The auris and yaris both at OVER 4,000rpm.

The Forester is amazing. I’ve never had a car pull itslef on rails around roundabouts until I drove one of these. Like a gravity traction-beam! and it now lives up in Heptonstall (silver 53 reg). The elderly lady who owns it uses it to delivery groceries throughout the surrounding area and loves it.

I also like ther jimny if I’m honest but not as an only car for baby etc 🙁

hora
    Free Member

OP wait until the Jimnys peak selling season is over. Winter is the best time to buy a mx5 and spring onwards for a Jimny IMO

Macavity
    Free Member

Do not crash one, you are unlikely to survive.

hora
    Free Member

Oh

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

I feel that I have to comment on the Jimmer debate. My other half has owned one for the past 2 years now. To begin with I was a bit dubious about it but did my research and warned her of the pitfalls and let her make her own mind up. 2 years down the line and I think its a fantastic little car. yep its no good at high speed, motorway cruising is 65 or you just burn through fuel. but urban, rural and A & B road driving is perfectly acceptable. In bad weather I would rather be in that the anything bar a defender. we made it back from North Yorks when it was really bad and had to cut through all the little vilages around leeds to get home. None of them were cleared and the little Jimmer went up, round and through everything. Some of the lads may take the piss about the size or styling but then they soon change their mind when they want to go riding/boarding and they cant leave their street!

As far as reliability ours is a 2000 w reg and we have had it serviced once in 2 years + its had a new battery. MOT it failed the 1st year on a offside leaking swivel hub (which can be replaced!!) and the 2nd year on the other. swivel hubs are based on the defender version and were £200 fitted each. Bearing in mind we got ours for £1600 and we could sell it tomorrow for the same I dont reckon it owes us much. Its a solid proper offroader based on a ladder chassis design (again like the defender) so you can laugh at people in x5’s cayennes, q7, when they cant get up a snowy icy hill and you chug past them.

timc
    Free Member

no idea but they look woeful

LardLover
    Free Member

A neighbour who lives up the hill has 2 (one for him and his wife), he’s the only one who can get his car (and his wife) parked outside their house in this heavy snow, everyone else is parked around the streets.

My wife wants one now, especially after having to spend the night at work last night.

hora
    Free Member

especially after having to spend the night at work last night

Even though the roads were properly gritted that night? 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Yep – we sold ours a months ago, my Mum has one, inlaws have one, blah blah blah.

Good points:

Comically good off road. Very little will get you further – extremely light, loads of clearance, proper low range ‘box
    Incredibly easy to park – tiny turning circle and tiny car.
    Very robust and reliable.
    Actually quite well specced – most have aircon, heated electric mirrors, airbags, ABS brakes (post 2005), etc
    Cheap to buy

Bad points:
    Tiny boot
    Thirsty for what they are – 30ish mpg
    Noisy for any distance driving
    Quite “jerky” on roads – what makes them great off road hinders them on it.
    Servicing a wee bit steep.

Overall, they are a surprisingly fun little thing. The mags reviews are mostly complete tosh – they are looking at road comfort and very few actually off road them. AutoExpress tested them PROPERLY against loads of other 4x4s and it came 2nd. The Disco was 1st.

Loads of farmers around here have them.

Watch service history – my Mum is having major front hub issues and the brakes can need replacing. Get as late as possible – post 2005 gets a better engine, ABS brakes and some other goodies. They are VERY cheap to buy and with more aggressive tyres, are one of the best off roaders out there.

Apart from the Defender maybe 😉

hora
    Free Member

Servicing a wee bit steep

When I was considering buying one I wondered why there were a fair few upto 5yrs old with circa 2 stamps!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Hora – sold ours with only 23k on the clock (but 5 years old) so most services were time rather than mileage dependent. A few bills shocked me but then we always went to a main dealer. Much cheaper with an independent.

You’d have to be slightly mad to do a lot of miles in one!

mlines
    Free Member

Front axle hub swivel’s are non replacable (unlike Landrover), swivel seals leaking grease/water ingress, requires axle swop to fix.

Not completely true. Unlike a Landrover, the Swivels are not oil filled, therefore the surface of the swivel can become pitted without major issue. A simple rub down with emery and re-paint will fix. No need to change an axle. The seals are commonly available. If its leaking grease then something else is wrong, usually the kingpin bearings are worn and need replacing (about £25 per side)

Indicators on the wrong side

Only true for Japanese built ones, its on the “correct” side for Spanish ones.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

gf picked up a vitara this weekend – same deal, wanted a small cheap 4*4 after being snowed in for 10 days during bad weather. track to house very muddy, in 4wd, vitara went straight through no bother. comfy at around 80 on motorway but loses some on uphills. suspension a bit firm but livable with, passenger seat REALLY hard and unconmfortable. a bit noisy.
    great fun, i like it.

chipps

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just thought I’d see if anyone has a Jimny they want to sell now that all the snow’s gone. And this thread seemed to be a good place to find a Jimny owner.

My GF needs one for getting up to the sheep down a bumpy lane – and it’s currently destroying my poor old Mondeo. No, I don’t want a Forester 🙂
    Oh, and I’m on a limited budget…

mrfrosty
    Free Member

I like ours apart from the soft top. Very reliable car. Anyone got a spare wheel please ? mail in profile

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Suzuki Jimny – whaddya think?’ is closed to new replies.