Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Sustrans/Cyclepaths, what's the point?
  • project
    Free Member

Safe existing pathways now branded shared use footways, with a white line down the centre and signage.

As for the use of the roads i cycle the roads quite often, and the cycle paths,and see quite a lot of poor driveing and a lot of poor rideing,whatwe need is good education of both parties,better design of roads and junctions,all things Sustrans are trying to achieve.

All things that cant be achieved without funding,which is cheap compared to the cost of a new road or resurfacing new road,a lot of Dual carrigeways could be single tracked each way,with adesignated track running parallel.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I much prefer the shared pavement type

These are my most hated type. Pedestrians wander all over them, often with uncontrollable children and/or dogs.

It's completely inappropiate for me, doing 25mph+ to share a common pathway.

I totally agree. cyclepaths alongside roads need to be sparated from the road by a kerb so cars don't park in them. the painted line is useless and usually disappears where it is needed most – at junctions.

I'm not sure I agree with this either. Kerbs would be seen to prohibit cyclists from using the road where necessary/desireable. And also I don't want to be separated from cars. I want cars to be more aware of cyclists. For this we need to be seen as serious road users.

Where cyclepaths alongside roads are desireable, we need fines in place for cars who park in them – think like double yellow lines. How many drivers do you know that'll park on a double yellow?

+1 to all this.

I'm a bit torn on Sustrans though- on the one hand it's good to see some cycling infrastructure that doesn't look like it's been designed by somebody who hasn't ridden a bike for 20 years, on the other hand it does maybe reinforce the idea that bikes shouldn't be on the road.

noteeth
    Free Member

it does maybe reinforce the idea that bikes shouldn't be on the road.

I understand why people get concerned about this – but frankly, I don't see why we can't aim for both decent cyclepath infrastructure and safe passage on roads.

ransos
    Free Member

I understand why people get concerned about this – but frankly, I don't see why we can't aim for both decent cyclepath infrastructure and safe passage on roads.

Exactly. If you look at countries with high levels of cycling, that's what they have.

FOG

really agree about shared use. I regularly ride through the parks in Sheff to get to the Peaks and even though there is a clearly marked bike section which is much smaller than the pedestrian section, people particularly with pushchairs use the cycle bit[why?]. This of course gets you tutted at because you have to use the pedestrian side to overtake.
    And as for dogs and toddlers!

westkipper
    Free Member

Ransos, as I mentioned, in countries with high levels of cycling infrastructure, they often dont have the right to use the road.
    Now I'm admittedly a bit more bolshie about this than most- I used to cycle to work, but since a local, frankly laughable Sustrans route ( an overgrown, unlit, barely three foot wide) pedestrian path was deemed an acceptable alternative, cyclists have been banned from the only direct road, a dual carrigeway with minimal junctions.
    As this 'cycleway' is totally unsuitable and the alternative roads involve a lengthy detour, I now take the van.

Its a sad but true fact that there just isn't the space in Britain for segregated facilities worth a damn- If the government were prepared to undertake a programme of multi-billion pound compulsory purchase on existing homes, greenbelt and roads then I may be prepared to soften my position, but until then it might be a better idea to educate people in how to share the road.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Sustrans/Cyclepaths, what's the point?’ is closed to new replies.