Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Superstar Narrow Wide and Shimano chain
  • JackHammer

Hi all,

I’ve just fitted a new I/O narrow wide in 32T flavour with a new shimano XT 10spd chain (its orientated correctly) and slx cassette.

When pedalling the bike in the stand the chain lifts off chain ring at the top of the chainring where the chain should be meshing.

My friend had a similar experience. The bike a Kona Process 153, sram s1000 gxp crankset (orignally was a 2x). I guess it could be a chainline issue, but my friend attempted to space his chainring out and that didnt help much.

So has anyone else had a similar issue, am I missing something or should I contact superstar?

carlos
    Free Member

You shouldn’t have any issues with that at all.

Might be its a bit snug due to being brand new and I bet with a bit of load/tension when peddling it’ll stop (there’s not much load/tension on the chain when in the stand)

Carlos

nickgti
    Free Member

did you use a split link to join the chain or chain tool?

JackHammer

That was another thing I was thinking, it definitely got better after I cleaned off the super sticky grease the chain ships with.

JackHammer

KMC missing link or whatever they’re called.

mikesbikes71
    Free Member

my superstar ring did that when I hadn’t closed the missing link properly. fine when I did.

legend
    Free Member

You have got the links and chainring lined up (wide-wide, narrow-narrow) correctly I assume?

JackHammer

Haha, yeah it sits happily on the chainring in one section. I’ve checked the spider isnt fouling. Will double check the split links when i get home. Hopefully it’ll wearing in and mesh. The snaggletooth ring i had before was fine.

asbrooks

Is the missing link seated properly? I had the same issue when I first installed. It took a little bit of persuasion by wiggling the chain and pulling the link closed.

vmgscot

I would closely inspect the narrow wide machining on the ring… I had a couple 32T rings from SS that had not been machined correctly – you could see the wide teeth and troughs were machined in wrong position – replaced by SS. I also had 30T rings that were perfect so maybe a batch of 32T only.

JackHammer

Hmm interesting, I might fire off an email to superstar with some pictures and maybe a video.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Narrow Wide and Shimano chain’ is closed to new replies.