Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Summer MTB holiday abroad ideas
  • beamishblue

A group of us are planning to go away in August for a weeks riding to celebrate my mate’s 50th. I’ve only ever been to Spain in the winter months so I’m looking for advice on suitable locations in the summer. Ideally, this would be guided mountain singletrack riding and not bike parks. We don’t want to spend a fortune and ease of flights from Glasgow and Edinburgh airports is a consideration. I have seen The White Room and Bike Village and both look great but rather pricey.

I’d be grateful for some more recommendations for great mountain bike summer holidays abroad!

Cheers,
    Matt

hainman
    Free Member

Me and a few mates went to Czech Republic last year
    Ws still roasting in late August
    Stayed with the guide and we were well well looked after
    Some great riding plus we had our meals made for us everyday
    The boy Jody is an ex DH racer and he picked us up from Poland,easier to get us and then dropped us off
    The company is called RideCzech

beamishblue

Thanks for that. I’ll give RideCzech a look.

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Tomthebombhole
    Free Member

With RideCzech which airport did you fly in to ?

crashrash

We went to Pure Mountains in the Sierra Nevada last year – it was a great holiday and really good techy riding. Tim and Jenny are exceptional hosts! Massive recommend. The deal with them means you won’t spend much once there and the farmhouse accoms is really nice.

danti

Ride Slovenia – some great steep, techy flowy rooty rocky goodness, on some of the EWS trails 🙂
    Excellent riding, loads quieter than the Alps and you don’t need that much spending money once there (there’s even a supermarket nearby to buy extra booze should the need arise).
    One tip if you do go there don’t leave it later than August as it starts to get wetter after then (that’s why it looks so lush).

Other than that I’d recommend Basque MTB Ainsa Enduro which uses quite a few of the EWS trails of Zona Zero, stunning riding, scenery, food, organisation, accommodation. You get what you pay for here, although this is more of a autumn/winter trip than summer, as it gets too hot in summer.

Or Alpine Singletrack based in Briancon, again a stunning area a lot quieter than most of the Alps and great riding, and you won’t spend much money once there.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Madeira island seems to be all the rage now, not to mention receiving an EWS round this year.

Most stuff seems to be organised be this guys of Freeride Madeira:

MTB holidays tours rentals Madeira island

If I remember correctly it was something like €700 for 5 days of lodging, shuttle and guiding, but please confirm

yiman
    Free Member

crashrash

Subscriber
    We went to Pure Mountains in the Sierra Nevada last year

What time of year did you go? A mate suggested we try it instead of Morzine in August but I’m fearful of 35 degrees in pads and full-face helmet….

Northwind

White Rooms and Bike Village ain’t cheap but they are good value- the difference that guiding, and catering, makes to your actual quality riding time is huge. Not to say it’s the right choice for you but for me it’s always been worth it.

hainman
    Free Member

@Tomthebombhole
    Think we flew into Krakow
    He picked us up,about 1 1/2 -2 hour drive
    We done a few days naturals trails then two days on uplift on some superb steep techy trails

I’ll defo be back,Jody and his wife could not have done any more for us to make the holiday a cracker

stumpy01

Can’t remember the name of the company, but there was a guy on here recently who’d startied a guiding business in Norway.
    Sounded like somewhere interesting to try, although in my head I imagine Scandinavia is quite expensive.

richardthird

Had our multiple 50ths in July with bike-alp Briancon. Incredible riding, as said is quieter and less wet than northern alps.

You get well looked after too.

superfli
    Free Member

stumpy01, thats Will aka Anus on here @ AnyExcuseToRide
    Riding looks spectacular, and a must for me at some point. Will was a guide out in Slovenia when we were there a few years ago – very nice chap.
    I’ve ridden Ride Slovenia and Ridgeline in Tuscany, both will fit your requirements. Lots of singletrack/minimal bikepark + spot on guides. Slovenia was very good value for money, and the country is gorgeous, but Tuscany with its ancient towns and superb food and wine just about wins my vote!

germolene
    Free Member

Hi Superfli
    can I ask that when you went with the Slovenian outfit did they guide you or give you maps to do your own things?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Summer MTB holiday abroad ideas’ is closed to new replies.