Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Summer Morzine Advice – TDF
  • jlc
    Free Member

Hi, I am just trying to sort out some accommodation for my parents to enable them to watch the Tour de France next summer. Morzine is fairly full up so I am looking at maybe Les Gets. Does anybody know if a bus/lift runs in the summer from Les Gets to Morzine and how often? Also if I do get some accommodation is there a lift that runs from Morzine to Avoriaz as that is where the stage is finishing. After a knee replacement Mum is limited on how far she can cycle and walk. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Susie
    Free Member

I was hoping to stay in Morzine during the TDF, was hoping it wouldn't book up that quickly.

There is a bus, but I'm not too sure on details, I don't think it was that frequent. The Supermorzine lift runs from Morzine towards Avoriaz, but not right to it, there's still a fairly long walk (it never seemed that far on a bike), but the lift is not too far from the road, so they could watch part way up.

They need to be wary of the lifts closing though. I did a fair bit of walking this year as I'd broken my arm and couldn't ride, I met my boyfriend and his mates at the restaurant in Linderettes (below Avoriaz), but a storm broke out just as we got there, they didn't open the lift back up until 4pm, I had to run from Avoriaz to catch the lift back into Morzine before it shut for the day, otherwise it would've been about a 10 mile walk down the road and I'd already walked 8+ miles that day. I got there in time, but the lift had broken and they told me they didn't think it would be fixed that day, luckly they did manage to fix it. I would imagine they would keep the lift open longer on that day.

Englishmastiff
    Free Member

Susie is right. There is a lift but a long walk at the end of it.
    On a similar note, in Chatelle this year, we did "one last run" down the super Chatelle. The sign at the top said the lift was closing at 5.30. Got to the bottom and the lovely French man said it closed at 5.05??? lazy git. We had to push downhill bikes up the super chatelle in the rain. It took 2 hours and was probably a 1200m climb up.
    So yes, be careful. They don't seem to care that they put tourists in extreme danger, potentialy laving them stranded on top of the Alps in bad conditions, just want to get home for tea!!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

My advice is to find a nice road gap over the peloton and try not to crash.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Summer Morzine Advice – TDF’ is closed to new replies.