• This topic has 224 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 225 total)
  • STW Singletons Social Networking Ride at Swinley Forest – Sunday 7th February
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Given the demographics will this be a couple of foxes being chased by a pack of slavering hounds?

cinnamon_girl

Mark – you need to chill out a bit. Take each date as it comes and stop jumping ahead 🙂

Just to reassure people, this is definitely not a "shag on the singletrack" ride 🙄 It's for mountain bikers, who happen to be single, and who want to meet others whether for a relationship or social networking ie going to pubs, gigs etc.

I honestly do not want people to be put off from coming along – everyone is at a different place in their life. You know what I really like about this Forum? Have been on loads of group rides, and you can guarantee that I'm the oldest by a mile, but you ride bikes and folk accept you for what you are 8)

Actually, it's also encouraging that a few of the guys I've ridden with are coming along, so that has to be a vote of confidence, right?

Anyway, there's a few pics from today of Swinley here:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/conditions-at-swinley-4

Bunnyhop

c_g – have you considered putting this ride up on Shecycles?
    It may balance things out a bit.

cinnamon_girl

Hi Bunnyhop. That's an idea, shall have to re-register though.

I'm finding it really frustrating that people are viewing this as some sort of desperate situation with desperate people. I genuinely hope that people don't get put off from coming along and in fact I have been answering e-mails from people that are concerned 😯

allthepies
    Free Member

>I'm finding it really frustrating that people are viewing this as some sort of desperate situation with desperate people.

Envy is not an attractive trait.

mboy
    Free Member

Mark – you need to chill out a bit. Take each date as it comes and stop jumping ahead

It's not me Elaine, it's my mates! If it goes past a first date with me and a girl, it seems they all brand her as my GF! get constantly questioned "where's your GF", "when you seeing your GF again" etc… Does my head in! Just had to warn her what they are all like in advance for if/when she meets them…

TRUST ME, I am taking each date as it comes…

RichPenny
    Free Member

Your mates are just taking the piss Mark, that's what they're for. I hope to make the ride, because Swinley is a good place and STW rides are always great fun. I think it'll be just like any of the others, TBH. I'm out with mates I've not seen for 3 months the night before, so the likelyhood of a coherent sentence is slim 🙂

neilnevill
    Free Member

bananaworld – yhm

cinnamon_girl

MBoy – agree with Rich, it's a man thing probably!

Rich – hope you can make it birthday boy 😀

cinnamon_girl

Just a thought – does anyone have a van? Am currently caretaker for a nice banner that was made for the Swinley 'Monsoon Ride'. Unfortunately I was told off for hanging it up outside the Visitor Centre so if it could be draped across a window, that might help.

Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thank you. 😀

neilnevill
    Free Member

a red light?

bananaworld
    Free Member

I say we hang the banner again! That jobsworth who got all huffy can go swing (the same jobsworth who complained at us later for washing our bikes and getting his precious WET & OUTDOOR floor wet).

If that's a bookable offence and we can't get it (the banner…) up then perhaps we should just meet outside the visitor centre (look out for the group of shy-looking funsters, all ready to get lost!)

Glad your relationship is status is all defined and explicit, MB, thouh perhaps, if you want it to go further, don't mention that you're even considering heading into the woods on a singletons' ride… 😉

cinnamon_girl

bananaworld – didn't realise there was a second ticking off! Bet they loved us then.

Alternative is to choose a couple of trees in the car park, I can put a little ladder in the car. Just need some 29er blokes to assist so you will do nicely! And, Mark, you gotta come 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Your mates are just taking the piss Mark, that's what they're for.

LOL

Nah they're not, that's the worrying thing!

if you want it to go further, don't mention that you're even considering heading into the woods on a singletons' ride

Haha. Honestly, don't think she'd care! She'd guess it was 95% blokes anyway… Besides I've already told her most Sundays I go out on my bike… She's probably more likely to either laugh, or ask me to take a video camera with me, than be bothered about it!

Mark, you gotta come

Will do my utmost. More than anything though, this is totally dependent on me being successfully employed by this time… I'm working on the basis that leaving the house costs money (which is something I don't have right now!), so I'm not leaving the house very much at the moment! Certainly not in my car if I don't have to… 4 weeks time til this ride though, hopefully will have something sorted by then…

cinnamon_girl

What do people think about wearing a sticky label with their name and forum name on? Would not be compulsory obviously!

DezB
    Free Member

So, is singletrackmind (Rob) planning to attend?
    I'm always single when I'm out on my bike. Does that count? 😉

JoeBones
    Free Member

This thread is useless without pics!

rOcKeTdOg

What do people think about wearing a sticky label with their name and forum name on

permanent marker on the forehead would be better and stop people putting other names, i mean what if 23 simonbarnes turned up?

cinnamon_girl

There will be no pics taken on this ride!! Sorry!!

The invite is extended to all single STW folk from all over the country. Simon would have to leave his camera behind 😉

JoeBones
    Free Member

YGM

Bunnyhop

There are indeed 2 Simon Barnes on this forum, so they could both easily turn up.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Not keen on the name tag thing, sorry. Surely you can just ask?

rOcKeTdOg

i found out on friday i will be officially single 6 weeks after the 10th of march, can you postpone until then?

cinnamon_girl

Rich, won't be compulsory. Honest!!

I won't make anyone do anything against their will 😉

rocketdog – divorce or something?

Karinofnine

I am looking foward to this ride but please, no name tags – feels slightly contrived.

Slight thread hijack. On the subject of other southern rides, I don't want to commit to leading a Herts-based ride as, if I like Surrey, I will probably stay there. Fed up of riding alone in Herts!

rOcKeTdOg

😉

xherbivorex
    Free Member

don't think i can make it to this ride for various reasons (but "not being single" is sadly not one of them!)…

bananaworld
    Free Member

permanent marker on the forehead

Why stop there? With a sowing needle and a little ink we can all have EXCLUSIVE STW tatoos!

And why no photos…? Boo hoo, every ride should have a group photo! 😀

More seriously: anybody fancy heading to Swinley this Sunday (17th) for a spot of getting lost? There was a race on nearby but it's been postponed because of the weather and I'd got meself all psyched up to ride (slowly, in the 'Fun' category). Well, I say let's go against their wise wisdom and head to the woods anyway! What's the worst that can happen…?

teagirl
    Free Member

Well, if I lived nearer I'd 'crash' the ride as it sounds like it's going to be such fun! I'm not single but can remember what it's like.

Remember, feel the fear and do it anyway! All the hesitant riders out there, just go along, it's sounds like a great big hug.

And, yes, we want a group photo!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

well the main reason i won't be going is that it's not that local; not sure that it's worth the solo drive from manchester on the off-chance that some of you might not think i'm a ****t!

teagirl
    Free Member

Hey, I'm quite sure noone would think that of you xherb, if you fancy a northern branch of the 'youngish and free riders' then I could sort something out, I know a few eligible souls.

Edukator
    Free Member

I suggest a candle on the dash of the vans/cars so you all know which riders are concerned by this thread.

singletrackmind

Yes Dez, I prolly will be going,as Single(for longer than i care to remember)trackmind i see this as a winter training ride for our SDW effort in May. You wanna lift? You can be photographer and 'sell' the piccys to various special interest magazines ( like STW ) to fund a few payments on your new motor.
    As long as there isn't a clash in my hectic social diary between now and then , mind you i am off to Val D'tossere in a few weeks with my planks.

cinnamon_girl

xherbivorex – would you like me to start up a thread asking about a Northern version? It would be nice to ride in the Peaks 🙂

bananaworld – I DETEST having my pic taken but am happy to take one of the rest of the group. Happy?

Singletrackmind – look forward to seeing you again!

Everyone else – if you want to wear a name badge – fine, if you don't – that's fine too. Anyone that's unsure about this? It's a ride with like-minded people. Give the morning session a go – you don't have to commit to a whole day.

New Year equals new attitude 8)

DezB
    Free Member

You wanna lift? You can be photographer…

Not sure if that's allowed! But I promise riding (ahem) pics only 🙂

i am off to Val D'tossere in a few weeks with my planks.

Lucky bugger.

cinnamon_girl

OK Dez, you're allowed. Usual rules apply – none of me thank you and I get to approve 🙄

Must try and persuade RudeBoy to come, your shot from last January was so funny 🙂

cinnamon_girl

OK, message received loud and clear about name badges. Will bring stickly labels along anyway and of course it would help me very much cos I'm old and forget names

rOcKeTdOg

my name is on my bike

mk1fan
    Free Member

Wish I'd seen this earlier. Would have been good to attend. But have signed up for a DH day at Rogate with the guys and gals from Muddy Moles.

fotorat
    Free Member

ecky thump, anyone would think this was a come to get engaged to a stranger ride? someone wants to start a NSA swingers ride thread!

I would like to come but can only offer go between services, so happy to relay messages from either sex, "my mate fancies you" and the like.

I can supply a van for the banner:

will be coming in from the west on M4, so where is the banner?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 225 total)

The topic ‘STW Singletons Social Networking Ride at Swinley Forest – Sunday 7th February’ is closed to new replies.