Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • STW Meet – Roadie flavour
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

What are peoples opinions on an organised Roadie Meet?

It’s something I’ve been thinking about for a while now and with the warmer weather just around the corner it seems the correct time to see what kind of interest the idea would get.

I’m quite fortunate where I live as there’s mile upon miles of quiet country lanes. I could easily ride 100 miles without hardly ever hitting an A road. I live in north Hampshire by the way.

If this was likely to happen then what sort of distance would be good for people? My initial thought would be around 60 miles with a cafe stop thrown in and a pub finish.

Over to you STW. 🙂

Edit; Maybe not 60 miles. Can be whatever suits everyone. Pace would be very gentle and always to the slowest rider.

aP
    Free Member

60 miles!!!!! do you think we ever ride those nice road bikes?
    A west London ride out to Peaslake to be sworn at by the gnarly all mountain riders would be much more fun.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Oh, go on then. Any prizes for the stupidest outfit?

thepurist

Would everyone have to wear baggies & peaks, and carry a rucksack full of stuff they don’t need?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Would everyone have to wear baggies & peaks, and carry a rucksack full of stuff they don’t need?

They are banned and being miserable and ignoring mountain bikers is compulsory!! 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

What tyres for tarmac?

I’d say 50-60 miles is a good idea, easily doable by normal riders but still worth driving for. I don’t think many people would drive out for a 30 mile ride.

And would it be a proper road ride or a stw road ride?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yea, I’d be up for that.

Anyone fancy something like Oxford-Chichester as a day out? split into a few groups (14mph, 17mph, headbangers) cafe stop halfway to eat cake/swap groups, then get the train back? Circa 100miles, and not £25 like a sportive!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

It would be more on the social side rather than head down a go. Around 13 – 15mph average so very gentle. I can throw some tough climbs in if people want that.

crazy-legs

Maybe not 60 miles. Can be whatever suits everyone. Pace would be very gentle and always to the slowest rider.

That’s not a road ride!
    100 miles, through and off, if you drop off, you can f*** off!

😉

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Only tricky thing i can see is setting a pace.

With mtb’s its ok as the quicker ones can wait at a gate or something and have a chat, but you go a long way on a road ride before you get to an obvious place to stop and wait.

You may need to set a rough average speed (maybe 15mph?) to make sure the racing snakes know what they’re letting themselves in for and don’t get the hump hanging around all day.

RealMan
    Free Member

Regarding peaks and baggies, I think the rules should be obeyed to the letter for this ride.

thisisnotaspoon +1

peteimpreza

Sounds like fun, have you a date in mind?

psychle
    Free Member

I’ll be up for it 🙂

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Date wise I was thinking late March, early April. I have a few Sportives lines up so I need to check the dates and fit it between them.

Addition to the rules,
    Team, National, King of the Mountains, Yellow Jerseys can be worn but you must be able to ride with the skill that the shirt is intended for or you will be ridiculed and sent to the back of the group in shame. 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Can we do it on MTB’s?

Tiger6791

STW London to Brighton run?

aP
    Free Member

I can lead a 4-5 hour ride out from west London, including world Heritage sites, horse racing, country roads and hills, with a cracking descent back into south London.
    March mostly appears to be free apart from the Surrey Rumble on the 6th.
    I’m tempted to think about doing another London2Brighton and back late March if anyone’s interested?

titusrider
    Free Member

i might be interested depending on location, can we ride three abreast please 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve been offering for ages to take a group out. My area would be around the Chilterns, MTBers might know the area for Ivinghoe Beacon, Ashridge and Wendover.
    I can lead a good pace, no underhand competition, no blitzing off in the big ring. Just a good 3-4 hour ride.
    Choice of two good coffee stops.

I’ll bite my tongue if you turn up in baggies and peak, but I’ll go mental if you dare turn out with any frayed cables.

RealMan
    Free Member

Team, National, King of the Mountains, Yellow Jerseys can be worn but you must be able to ride with the skill that the shirt is intended for or you will be ridiculed and sent to the back of the group in shame.

😀

DrP

“Would everyone have to wear baggies & peaks, and carry a rucksack full of stuff they don’t need? “
    No other way, on or off road!

I’ll be up for it (also, glad you’re doing the B2B!).
    I can be pace keeper on the fixie! There’s only so fast and so slow my legs can go…!

DrP

DrP

How about weekend of 27th march?

DrP

crazy-legs

Team, National, King of the Mountains, Yellow Jerseys can be worn but you must be able to ride with the skill that the shirt is intended for or you will be ridiculed and sent to the back of the group in shame.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

So, so far we’ve got a North Hampshire, London>Brighton, West London loop, Oxford>Chichester, Chilterns ride.

That’s about 300 miles so far! Better make it a weekender!! 😕

Simwit

I’d potentially be up for this but am a bit of a novice when it comes to the road bike and am unsure what sort of mileage I’m realistically capable of. On the MTB I can manage 40 milers once in a while, 30+ on a regular basis but my road riding has been limited to date. I reckon I should be ok for a 50 or 60 miler if that’s what transpires but I’m more than happy to take the panels advice on that.

Edit, I’m North Hampshire based too if that helps

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Simwit, where in North Hants are you? You’d always be welcome to tag along with me on a weekend ride to test your legs. Usually Head North from Andover towards Combe, Ham, Fracombe area. Usually about 40ish miles with about 2 – 3000 ft of climbing. Always a gentle pace.

dobo
    Free Member

im oddly attracted to this idea, i have no rode bike or road sense but a cx which would do the job for a few hours. im south hants so north hants good for me too.
    i’ve never been on a proper group roadie ride though other than some tarmac from the chain ferry on a stw purbecks mtb ride 🙂

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Quite liking the idea of this being a semi serious/social with a few who haven’t ridden in groups before and a few who have. Could be a bit of a laugh.

DrP

So it’s official then – 24mph average, with a pint of strong west country cider every 4 miles.

Sorted!

DrP

rOcKeTdOg

I wonder how long it’ll be til someone gets fed up and attacks off the front?

Simwit

Hi MM cheers for the offer, I’m in Fleet. Normally I do a full day MTB ride on a Sunday and don’t really have the legs for a big ride the day before hence the limited miles on my road bike but if I get a weekend with no MTB plans (not next couple of weeks I’m afraid) I’ll drop you a line through the forum if that’s ok?

Simwit

Hi MM cheers for the offer, I’m in Fleet. Normally I do a full day MTB ride on a Sunday and don’t really have the legs for a big ride the day before hence the limited miles on my road bike but if I get a weekend with no MTB plans (not next couple of weeks I’m afraid) I’ll drop you a line through the forum if that’s ok?

Edit, curses a pesky double post oops

RealMan
    Free Member

im oddly attracted to this idea, i have no rode bike or road sense but a cx which would do the job for a few hours. im south hants so north hants good for me too.
    i’ve never been on a proper group roadie ride though other than some tarmac from the chain ferry on a stw purbecks mtb ride

Where abouts in south hampshire? Anywhere near fareham? Stick some slicks on and go for a fareham wheelers club ride, see if you like it.

I wonder how long it’ll be til someone gets fed up and attacks off the front?

I was planning on attacking at the start actually.

rootes1

Yer north hants surrey, west london would be cool areas. Plenty of routes, though nice to get off main roads..

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’d be up for this. trains seem like a no go – only 3 bikes at at time!!

dobo
    Free Member

Where abouts in south hampshire? Anywhere near fareham? Stick some slicks on and go for a fareham wheelers club ride, see if you like it.

chandlers ford so fareham is doable, thanks for info, been pondering on trying a group/club road ride for a while

GJP
    Free Member

I would be interested in the pace is nice and slow.

RealMan
    Free Member

dobo, http://www.fareham-wheelers.org.uk/

They also have a good mountain bike crowd, do rapid pace night rides, great for getting you fit, and really good fun.

The club run is on a sunday from wickham, give it a go, you will wonder why you’d been putting it off. But I’d have a look for a club closer, for regular stuff, I’m sure there’s something in southampton or romsey. fareham wheelers is the largest cycling club in hampshire though (I think).

Sue_W
    Free Member

Can girls join in too?

Request for a social pace (little legs can only spin so fast!), around 50 to 60 miles, with a chilled atmosphere please 🙂 I’m north Wales based, but happy to travel but would be good to make a weekend of it i did.

oldgit
    Free Member

For those that are a bit bi, I nearly always ride off road Saturday either in Woburn or Ashridge. And Sunday is road day.
    Always happy to have riders tag along with me either day.
    My mountainbiking is xc and road is well road.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘STW Meet – Roadie flavour’ is closed to new replies.