Viewing 40 posts - 2,921 through 2,960 (of 3,879 total)
  • STW 2014/15 Rugby Thread
  • tor5
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    If he didnt lift him how did he get off the ground?

Physics. Hit above the centre of gravity by 115kgs at high velocity, pivots around centre of gravity. The law is specifically designed to stop players lifting and driving the opponent backwards and in to the ground. No lift or attempt to lift, not illegal. Bloody good hit, and one that will be in highlights reels for some time.

dantsw13

Pig face – the ferocity of the hit is immaterial. The only issue is the timing. By the letter of the las, if you are committed to the tackle if isn’t deemed late. One of the best NH refs saw it live, saw it 3 times on slow-mo, and decided it was fine.

Pigface
    Free Member

I disagree he could of easily lessened the impact, he followed through with 100% commitment, it would be been a hit of wonder if it wasn’t late. He got away with it, it is done but I don’t think it is anything to be cheering. Brian Lima made a career out of questionable hits some people think he is a hero, I dont.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I once saw a young girl, maybe around 5 or 6 run smack into an overhanging granite worktop – so hard she smashed her glasses. The back of her head hit the tiles before her feet landed. That hit today reminded me of how sickening it looked. I thought Moore had it right – and he was lucky to get away unsanctioned, but in this case, I’d defer to Nige and the TMO, but Lawes got a huge spoonful of benefit of the doubt (IMO).

dantsw13

DD, don’t disagree, it was borderline. The replay clearly showed Lawes flying at him whilst he still had the ball though.

Lawes needs to be careful though. If you constantly fire off big 50/50 hits, he will get carded and get a rep. Then he won’t get any benefit of the doubt.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Lawes needs to be careful though. If you constantly fire off big 50/50 hits, he will get carded and get a rep. Then he won’t get any benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, sorry, when I said “sickening”, I was just referring to the sight of it, rather than any intention on Lawes’ part. I agree with what you’re saying, and in essence, (from what I remember), that’s what Moore said during his punditry. If you’re going to play like that, then, sometimes you’ll be late and you’ll be punished for it. Lawes got away with it today but hey, the best ref in the world and the TMO took a bit of time over it, and let it go. Another day, another ref, another TMO and he might have been sitting down for ten.

DanW
    Free Member

Well, all I know is he won’t get away with doing that to Carter in the WC 😆 (if he is still around)

I thought England played ok but it was a weird old game and at the end of the day they missed their target. The players and management have been blabbing all week about how they won’t choke and….

Haskell actually is smarter than we think- he was adamant before the game that England “would never again choke like 2011” when they lost out on the grand slam… maybe he forgot about the other unsuccessful years and 2013 in particular 😉 😆

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Am I the only person to not be impressed by England’s performance today?

No. It was an entertaining game, but the level of rugby on show was questionable. It’s not what wins tournaments (unfortunately). Both sides seemed to forget how to defend. And let’s not forget that France have been abysmal this year, a team in disarray, but yet England managed to make them look good.

dantsw13

I don’t think England choked – Ireland just left them too much to chase. France only shipped 2 tries in the first 4 games, we scored 7 today. France lost to Ireland and Wales by 7. We got to +20, and were on their line at the end and nearly got there.

We choked in Dublin, and failed to put away Scotland. That’s when we lost the championship, not today.

The challenge for Lancaster and the coaches is to harness the attacking spirit showed today, and keep,some of the defensive strength England had in the last few years.

wrecker
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with the lawes hit. Nige is no fool
    Best team won, second best team came second. Worst team came last. Not rocket science.

anagallis_arvensis

Ref and TMO got the Fin Russel one wrong too.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Wrong sanction (yellow not red) or wrong that he had done anything wrong?

DanW
    Free Member

Maybe choked isn’t the best word but England knew what they had to do and actually put themselves in a great position of achieving it but lacked the little extra something to actually pull it off. Silly things like the early two French tries made the game as crazy as it was and goodness know what Lancaster was thinking with the early, pre planned substitutions of key players.

It will be interesting to see what England do at 10. Ford clearly adds a lot with ball in hand and the timing of his passing is beautiful… But each game he seems to give away penalties in the England half geting isolated and holding on, plus the kicking success over the entire tournamount is far too low for an international. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Farrel back despite some great play from Ford (and finally spot on place kicking against France)

namastebuzz
    Free Member

England do some good things despite Lancaster’s ineffective tinkering.

His selections have produced an unbalanced side and his idiotic pre-planned substitutions don’t seem to account for who’s playing well. Ben Youngs was having the game of his life yet he gets hauled off?

Pigface
    Free Member

How many points did France drop with woeful kicking?

loum
    Free Member

Cracking day’s rugby to round off a great tournament.

Times “team of the tournament” is funnier than some of the comments above . 😉

15. Halfpenny (Wales)
    14. Sarto (Italy)
    13. Joseph (England)
    12. Henshaw (Ireland)
    11. Nowell (England)
    10. Ford (England)
    9. Gori (Italy)
    1. Marler (England)
    2. Ghiraldini (Italy)
    3. Mas (France)
    4. AW Jones (Wales)
    5. Charteris (Wales)
    6. O’Mahony (Ireland)
    7. Warburton (Wales)
    8. Parisse (Italy)

loum
    Free Member

On the Lawes hit
    – Owens backed himself into a corner by making the call that it was not late aloud , before going with the TMO saying to review it.

With the French players all calling for a review too, I don’t think he wanted to be seen to change his mind and lose control of the game at that stage. He just stayed strong on his original call to keep control – the frenchman getting up and playing on helped allow him to do so.
    don’t think Lawes will get away with another one like that with Owens reffing.

Think it’s telling that he let the French retaliation go completely, no card and no penalty – didn’t even want to consider one, to kind of even it up a little – then reversed the put-in at the scrum as if he was reversing a pen for violent retaliation.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

On the Lawes hit:

A fraction later it would have a been a yellow (or red) card.

A fraction earlier it would have been tackle of the tournament.

DanW
    Free Member

Think it’s telling that he let the French retaliation go completely, no card and no penalty – didn’t even want to consider one, to kind of even it up a little – then reversed the put-in at the scrum as if he was reversing a pen for violent retaliation.

What French retaliation? There wasn’t even any pushing to mention let alone anything more! Nothing to let go or use to even the decision making at all since nothing happened apart from a lot of blokes standing around looking at Lawes. That was probably the biggest surprise of the whole tournament as someone said earlier too! 😆

anagallis_arvensis

Wrong sanction (yellow not red) or wrong that he had done anything wrongrong sanction (yellow not red) or wrong that he had done anything wrong?

Wrong sanction, the banning means the citing panel thought it should have been a red.

wrecker
    Free Member

Anyone else seen this
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TsHpBeeI_rY[/video]

Speechless to be honest. What would motivate someone to do that to a competitor?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I saw a comment on wherever I first saw that clip to the effect that the 8 was twisting or bending Du Plessis’ foot/ankle. Which if true – not seeing it myself TBH, but it does look like he lashed out quickly so maybe he thought so – might have been his motivation (provocation, whatever)? Not an excuse obviously.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

On the Lawes hit, …one of the tackles of the tournament, in front of one of the refs of the tournament

Can someone make a gif?

wrecker
    Free Member

“CHRISTOPHER!!!”
    Great moment.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Agreed, wrecker, that was hilarious.

On the thug du Plessis kick, interesting to watch the target. Just basically got on with it. Kind of says enough really.

anagallis_arvensis

DanW
    Free Member

That angle of the Lawes tackle has me less and less convinced it was ok. I’ve been pretty convinced it was just a brutal, fair tackle but on seeing it like that and seeing Lawes check his run, I think Lawes always intended to be a fraction late, but just the right fraction to completely blindside the poor fly half while still getting away with it. Superb timing you could say 😯

Honest question, are you “allowed” to hit someone in the back as high as that? I can’t think of laws preventing it but a tackle in the back of the shoulder/ neck is only going to end badly for the tackled player really…

I saw a comment on wherever I first saw that clip to the effect that the 8 was twisting or bending Du Plessis’ foot/ankle. Which if true – not seeing it myself TBH, but it does look like he lashed out quickly so maybe he thought so – might have been his motivation (provocation, whatever)? Not an excuse obviously.

Honest question, are you allowed to hit someone high and on the back

Seems fair since the 8 didn’t seem too worried or shocked

DanW
    Free Member

“CHRISTOPHER!!!”
    Great moment.

Also, Owens getting Robshaw and Brown together early to tell them he wouldn’t tolerate any backchat. Cut out most of the whinging…. is Owens on STW? 😆

tiggs121
    Free Member

Because Lawes checks his run he obviously intends to be a wee bit late to catch No 10 off guard and try to hurt him.

RED Card all day long.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Checks his run? Is that a second gif?

Asks Nige said, he commits to the tackle before the ball has gone (watch his head) and the whiplash is due to the physical mismatch not dirty play. It’s not tag rugby and these guys are not U9.

Watching the way these guys take the bit and then watching the L v MU match, at least #10 didn’t spent 2 minutes rolling around despite the fact that that must have hurt.

Edit: from JIm Greenwood Total Rugby and how to tackle: “a potential tackler running flat out is too easily beaten….you go to meet him, lower your centre of gravity, get your head to one side, and focus on driving your tackling shoulder up into his solar plexus. Your arms close round him, but the power of the tackle comes from checking his upper body, and simultaneously, as your legs straighten lifting his feet off the ground. You then drive through to put him over backward.”

This is how to tackle head on, so Lawes is not facing #10 head on and hence is not hitting the solar plexus, but everything else close to the manual…

DanW
    Free Member

Exeter- Sarries equal with 90s left!

loum
    Free Member

namastebuzz – Member

A fraction earlier it would have been tackle of the tournament.

Heaslip. :mrgreen:

anagallis_arvensis

Its not late but as an ex flanker I know that he knew what hecwas doing. Its a cheapshot but not illegal from a timing perspective. I am more concerned about the legs invthe air and him coming down with Lawes full weight on his head.

Pigface
    Free Member

How can anyone seeing that not think that Lawes was a very lucky boy.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Heaslip. :mrgreen:

+1

😆

anagallis_arvensis

:

from JIm Greenwood Total Rugby and how to tackle: “a potential tackler running flat out is too easily beaten….you go to meet him, lower your centre of gravity, get your head to one side, and focus on driving your tackling shoulder up into his solar plexus. Your arms close round him, but the power of the tackle comes from checking his upper body, and simultaneously, as your legs straighten lifting his feet off the ground. You then drive through to put him over backward.”

Someone should tell Dan Lydiate.
    I reckon some of his ankle chops are better than any diving cheapshot to the back.

Coyote
    Free Member

Lawes was a little late, no more no less. A-A is just pissed that Wales didn’t finish higher than England.

#edit – Oh and congratulations to Ireland. Not rated your style of play throughout the tournament but but all that is holy did you turn it on yesterday. Please let all the home nations continue the potential they are showing into the World Cup. Should be a cracker!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

namastebuzz – Member
    Heaslip.

Ouch!!! But true…

Coyote – seems like it, doesn’t it and Nigel’s comments are very clear !!

DanW
    Free Member

Lawes was a little late, no more no less. A-A is just pissed that Wales didn’t finish higher than England.

I don’t think so. No Welshman ever expects success from the National side 😉 Seeing a player be driven in to the ground head first, however legal the appearance of the tackle, is a pretty reasonable discussion point. It is 50/50 enough to get a lot of people talking about it…

anagallis_arvensis

Not all all drunk thanks.
    Not at all bothered by Wales finishing third. We have afterall won three grandslams since 2005. Winning a championship on points was nice but not the same.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,921 through 2,960 (of 3,879 total)

The topic ‘STW 2014/15 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.