Viewing 38 posts - 321 through 358 (of 358 total)
  • Stupid Zwift questions thread
  • scotroutes

Oh. Me too.

thebunk

Seems there are two options for connecting the bike to Zwift.

(Zwift Main is my name for the one running on my Mac to my big screen).

1. Bike -> Zwift Main (and then just use the Zwift Companion app for messaging or what have you)

2. Bike -> Zwift Mobile -> Zwift Main.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Is there a good reason for using #2? With #2 how do you leave Zwift in the background if you want to use Zwift Companion?</span>

#1 seems to work ok with my, except for getting HR via my Apple Watch – but this seems to be a common issue.

Why are there 2 different Zwift mobile apps (Zwift, and Zwift Companion)?!

ta11pau1

Zwift mobile app is the full game, zwift companion mobile app is just the ‘2nd screen for messages etc.

First ever zwift race just done, 3 laps of the volcano, in B class of all things… 😩 My FTP is 3.4 so I’m in the bottom of class B, and starting in that class, I get dropped by the 2nd corner on the lead in… 🤣🤣 I try and put some power down to catch them but they’re gone and the C group is catching slowly, so I settle in with them and a couple of other B’s that have been dropped over the course of the laps.

19th of 22 in class B on zwift, and 15th of 17 on zwift power. Most the ones above me in class B were 3.4-3.7w/kg average, I did 3.3w/kg avg so seems legit! 184bpm at the end though, my max is 190 so!

Welcome to Zwift racing!! 🥵🤢🤣

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Just been announced on Zwift forums that racers with insufficient power data from last 60 days from any Zwift session at ZwiftHQ will now enter pen E for category enforcement evaluation, rather than the possible shock of mixing in with As.

As someone with a pretty flat power curve, category enforcement (CE) B starts are often very brutal, ~400W (~5W/Kg) might just about keep me with the main bunch during the initial 1-2min surge… Horrid, right at my limit, doesn’t always work out!

Haze

As good a place as any to post it – which generation AppleTV do I need to comfortably run Zwift?

My aging iPad is low on space, I’ve trimmed everything down as much as possible but it’s still pretty chocker with Zwift being by far the biggest offender (after OS itself).

There’s really nothing else wrong with it so rather than splash out on a new one I’m hoping I can pick up a box for a lot less?

ta11pau1

4th gen or newer:

https://support.zwift.com/en_us/supported-devices-to-run-zwift-H1Cj9QbeB#Smartpho

Remember the Bluetooth limitation though if you’re not already aware, 3 devices including the remote, so that’s smart trainer to do power/cadence etc and Bluetooth HRM.

As someone with a pretty flat power curve, category enforcement (CE) B starts are often very brutal, ~400W (~5W/Kg) might just about keep me with the main bunch during the initial 1-2min surge… Horrid, right at my limit, doesn’t always work out!

Yeah that seems about right, I was doing 450+w for the 40 seconds or so and still got dropped, that’s like 5.7w/kg for me… Brutal!

Haze

Cheers, I can live with that I think…I binned off the BT headphones a while ago as they were causing dropouts.

Only other thing will be my watch which I won’t use for recording so no desire to connect it.

ratherbeintobago

On a complete tangent anyone know what’s going on with SiS Turbo+ range? Despite assurances it wasn’t being discontinued (and blueberry & mint being a slightly acquired taste) it doesn’t seem to have been in stock go aaaages.

ratherbeintobago

Bump.

Someone explain the Robopaced group rides to me. Did one today and especially when I was in the group it didn’t feel that difficult. I thought they were meant to be at a set w/kg?

scotroutes

The w/kg is a bit dynamic. The RP will increase watts when climbing and decrease when descending – by about 10% or so. This is to more closely match real life output.

A bigger group also has the opportunity to draft, so you can sit in at less w/kg than the RP. However, folk ahead of the RP also create draft for it, so it can sometimes be a bit faster or slower.

Also, the RPs all weigh 75kg. W/kg for you might change a bit on climbs/descents if you’re much lighter or heavier. 

nixie

They are a constant w/kg (with slight increase/decrease as the bot climbs/descends). It’s the bots power though so if the group was big you would have been doing a fair bit less in the draft.

ratherbeintobago

Is there a recommendation for w/kg when picking a Robo-paced ride? Go up or stay at approximately your usual w/kg? Or suck it and see?

Caher

I’ve ridden with one above my current ability and teleported back when the pace got crazy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is there a recommendation for w/kg when picking a Robo-paced ride? Go up or stay at approximately your usual w/kg? Or suck it and see?

Depends what you goal is, but yes. Because of the way groups churn on zwift you can sit at anything from about 90% of the RP to 110% (ish) and you’ll just get sucked along or not drop them.

I’m not a fan, I wish they’d disable drafting in RP groups, or get rid altogether and replace it with a ‘ghost’ for which you can set the height/weight/power.

scotroutes

The (newish) teleport feature means you can start with an easier paced ride and then jump up a category when you’ve warmed up. 

ratherbeintobago

Next daft question – how do I teleport?

Caher

There a teleport button on your phone (companion app) or on the screen. Next to the camera.

nixie

I only tend to use the pacer for warm ups or zone 2. Normally pick one around the right w/kg for that on a flatter route if there is a choice of more than one.

myopic
    Free Member

Weird one this – asking for a friend

Setup is Zwift on phone, plenty memory, connected by cable to TV HDMI port.
    Screen resolution starts off fine, but as ride goes on, it becomes progressively poorer till after a while (30mins +) you can’t read data because digits are so blurry. It’s not due to ‘pain effect’ being enabled.

Any ideas?

nixie

TV is borked? Sounds like like what my old Sony TV was doing due to a component starting to fail.

myopic
    Free Member

Hmmm, it is a Sony TV, but everything else about it works fine. 

nixie

Once the issue has occurred does the blurring continue if another source (e.g. live tv) is selected.

myopic
    Free Member

Live TV is fine, and problem is not with the HDMI port, or the cable, because swapping ports and/or cables doesn’t resolve it – problem stays with Zwift. Obvious conclusion is some kind of phone issue, but it’s a new phone and there are no issues with any other aspect of performance – only Zwift

eckinspain
    Free Member

Is the tv doing something clever to prevent graphics being burnt into the screen?

nixie

Is the phone getting hot? Can you try putting it so there is airflow over it and see if the issue starts later.

Could be an issue with the screen mirroring from the phone. If you mirror another app does the same thing happen.

zilog6128

What phone? is the obvious question, google it & see if any other owners have the same problem. Although outputting to TV via a cable has got to be a niche use case these days!!

dawson

Sounds like phone running out of video memory /processor power and it is degrading resolution to try and keep going but runs out of steam
    (possibly)

Jamz
    Free Member

Is your friend able to cast/screen share with the TV instead?

myopic
    Free Member

Good feedback, all, thanks. I’ve already suggested the temperature being an issue and suggested taking out case, not leaving fiat and maximising airflow to cool. Will come back on this and other details later 😊

stumpy01

When the phone is sending the image to the display, does the screen on the phone stay on?

If so, is the degradation in quality also visible on the phone screen or does the phone screen quality stay high, but only the appearance on the TV degrades?

ratherbeintobago

Anyone know if the post-update Ready Brek style glow round my avatar is intentional or a bug?

DickBarton

I think that is intentional to help you stand out for you when in a large group…

ratherbeintobago

Is there a way of turning it off?

plus-one

I like the ready brek look 🙂

zilog6128

Anyone know if the post-update Ready Brek style glow round my avatar is intentional or a bug?

it’s intentional (and long requested!) Yes you can turn it off. Reading the release notes (or checking on Zwift Insider!) is not the worst idea in the world 😂

ratherbeintobago

@zilog6128 Reading the instructions is always a terrible idea.

@plus-one
    Problem is that I can’t shake the mental image of the “Special Brew – central heating for tramps” ad from Viz years ago.

DickBarton

@myopic – there is a setting in Zwift (on the PC version under My Settings) that allows you to show exertion – apparently it blurs the screen when your exertion level starts to increase and get very hard…could this setting be on and it is having a more obvious impact for your mate as he is properly going for it?

nixie

The outline colour seems to be different depending on your kit colour. Found today that riders you follow are also highlighted in the pack.

Viewing 38 posts - 321 through 358 (of 358 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.