Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 358 total)
  • Stupid Zwift questions thread
  • n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

So how many here knew about the exploit where during a race, you can change your weight on the fly using the Companion app and it takes almost immediate effect? 😮

DrP

Just read about that.. worrying as you could start at 70kg…. drop to 50 for the climb, then return back to 70kg for the finish line…

DrP

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

A burst down the hill at 90Kg helps too!

Hard to believe that such a simple exploit wasn’t discovered by ZwiftHQ when they tested the code of allowing weight changes on the app.

stumpy01

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member
    So how many here knew about the exploit where during a race, you can change your weight on the fly using the Companion app and it takes almost immediate effect?

Not in a race, but I’ve experienced when free-riding up one of the ‘proper hills’ that someone seemed to change their weight on the fly. I think it was on the Epic KOM.
    A bloke came past me on the approach & I latched onto him as a target to reel in as we started climbing. Over the course of the climb I eventually caught him. I stayed with him for a bit to recover & then pushed on to try & create a gap.

On the way up, I had been ‘stalking’ him to see what power numbers he was putting out for his w/kg to get an idea of whether I could realistically ‘beat’ him up the hill.

After putting about 10seconds gap into him, he starting reeling me in very quickly with a sudden jump in w/kg. When he caught & over-took me I had another look at his figures & he was still grinding out the same power, so must have decreased in weight to have done that.
    I really don’t see the point in that. It was obvious what he had done and didn’t really matter as it wasn’t a race or group ride – I can’t believe there’s much satisfaction to be had out of beating someone by just altering some numbers.

haloric
    Free Member

Can’t remember who it was, and can’t find it now – Cameron Jeffers probably, but he had a video at least a year ago where he entered several races and did exactly this, changed his weight in the pen, won several races, changed it back before quitting, then published the video to say what he had done after no-one called him out on it after some time had passed, to prove that it was an effective way to win.

molgrips
    Free Member

Any rocker plate users noticed an increase in watts?

scotroutes

I might have expected a small decrease. That additional motion (and damping) must consume some power?

haloric
    Free Member

I find the rocker plate more comfortable is all.

It’s not possible to say whether is loses power – maybe having some movement means that its easier to apply the power, so the bit you lose from the energy is overmatched by the ease –
    why does your bike wobble in real life when you sprint, surely no wobble is less energy expended ?, its all snake oil like oval chain rings.

Duggan

Hi All

I haven’t used Zwift for a while and then came to do a race a couple of days ago and see that they now have adopted category enforcement in some of the races. So, it seems in these specific events you can only enter the category that the Zwift algorithm deems your correct one.

No problem with this other than it will only let me enter category A for some reason? For clarity, there is no way on earth I am a Cat A rider, or even close to it. So, it is 100% a mistake or glitch. I’m 3.15 w/per kilo and so at most could be considered very bottom of Cat B I think.

I tried entering events on both the windows software and the companion app but neither will let me. If I check Zwift Power it lists my my minimum category as “C” (which I think is correct).

Wondering if anybody else has had this problem? Or am I doing something wrong?

mashr

That interesting/odd. I’m all for category forcing but it’s been odd for me too. When it first started (last month?) it let me enter A or B. Since then I’ve done hardly any riding (the joy of COVID) and it’s also gone A only. I am borderline though, so was thinking it was just being strict (fair enough, even though I obviously can’t handle 6W/kg) but maybe not now

robbo1234biking

I think if it doesn’t have enough data it will put you in A. You then have to do a race and fail massively so that it can get the data to put you in the correct category. Im sure that was mentioned on the Zwift forums thread but its 800 posts long and I cant find the info now.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

@Duggan For now, riders with a lack of enough Zwift data from the last rolling 60 days will be placed in A, if you don’t produce “secret” data that shows you are an A you will have lower categories open up to you. Or at least that’s the theory.

There’s talk that data-less riders might eventually end up giving data via category E.

Category enforcement is quite different from the established system of an average of your three best W/Kg 95% of 20min efforts in races. The new system uses all Zwift data, not just races and they don’t need to be 20min efforts (2-8mins power looks to be especially weighted). How many efforts they need is another secret, how they verify new rider efforts are legit is another secret.

But if you want to use races to produce data, you can join short events like the 1 lap Laguardia (at 1545?) and the 1815 “micro” mountain TT at Sea To Tree etc. and just give them an honest effort.

It’s very possible the new system will put you in a higher category than the old Zwiftpower category. I was placed in B a day or so before returning to Zwiftpower B, back in Feb.

It can feel like being pushed into the deep end, but equally, you can use a surprising promotion as motivation to push yourself more.

https://intervals.icu (donate-ware) will give you a power profile over time, you can select indoor/outdoor/both and the “two parameter CP” option while using W/Kg should give you a rough guide from your indoor power as to your category. <2.5 should be D, <3.2 C, <4 B, >4 A. If you have an exceptional VO2 max, this may take precedent over CP. If you are “skin and bone” you might be protected from a category promotion, even though your exceptional W/Kg up inclines would give you a crazy advantage.

The racing is fairer as stronger riders cannot continually race in C and especially D, but the system needs a lot more transparency, so we all clearly know why we are in or promoted to whatever category (I had a “A” wth moment last week, back in “B” now but just had a good 1215 effort for 5/13mins in same race).

Duggan

Thanks all, that is heplful to know, cheers! No problem then, I am happy to fail at a Cat A race 😀 or will do the TT efforts as n0b0dy0ftheg0at suggests.

In principle the category enforcement sounds like a good idea so pleased that they are trying to sort it but guess is always going to be tricky to pull it off.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

In all my waffle earlier I think I misserd a crutial point that one Zwift session that tips you over the CP threshold to another category means that you will be promoted the next day, in theory… No averages.

Right, time to sweat for a third time today…

molgrips
    Free Member

Doesn’t it also look at more than your w/kg? I mean, does absolute power also factor in?

mashr

Christ, a time trial or do an A race . . . thats like choosing which STD you’d like to have!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

https://zwifthacks.com/app/events/?key=621b895261613 should give you a list of all current category enforcement races.

Tim Perkin’s “mountain TT” events have just been added today, the zwiftpower pc signup page doesn’t yet suggest that (they normally have blurb about new system), but you will only get a tick in the check box if you can enter that category. The 1815 ~3.1Km Sea To Tree is category enforced https://zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=2942379 , finish time spread was 6mins44secs to 11mins51secs at noon.

thebunk

Heard so much about Zwift so wanted to see what it was! So I’ve just borrowed a turbo from a real rider, and stuck my old commuter on it.

1. Is there a tutorial or something? I closed a popup message by mistake at the start so maybe I missed it? Found Zwift 101 which seemed like the right place to start.

2. What should I do once I’ve finished 101? I really like the idea of racing, and training to lose weight and get fitter. How do I find a race at my level? How do I find my level?

3. In simpler terms than before (I’ve read this whole thread), what is ERG? Do I need it on? Off? Do I have a choice?

4. I realise I sound like I’m taking the piss out of all the Cat discussions above but I swear this is a stupid serious question – will my cat run through my spokes? Should I make sure she’s not around when I’m on the turbo 🙀

ta11pau1

1. Is there a tutorial or something? I closed a popup message by mistake at the start so maybe I missed it? Found Zwift 101 which seemed like the right place to start.

There should be a 1.3 mile tutorial to show you the basics, but don’t worry too much.

What cycling have you done before? Like, do you know what power/FTP is?

2. What should I do once I’ve finished 101? I really like the idea of racing, and training to lose weight and get fitter. How do I find a race at my level? How do I find my level?

Unless you’ve done serious road riding, don’t worry about racing just yet. Even though there’s different categories, it’s super competitive. You’ll need to have your FTP set correctly as a minimum to do a race or a workout.

3. In simpler terms than before (I’ve read this whole thread), what is ERG? Do I need it on? Off? Do I have a choice?

So in Zwift there’s 2 main modes – sim mode and erg mode. Sim mode is when you’re free riding, so just like on the road. If you’re riding uphill it’ll feel like it. Same for downhill. You’ll need to use the gears as you would in real life.

ERG mode is what you use when doing workouts, as they’ll have a power target for the interval you’re doing. The trainer will then adjust the resistance based on your cadence shop you can hit that power target and it’ll try and keep you there. You won’t feel the hills, but you will go slower up them as you would in real life. You can stay in one gear no matter if you’re putting out 500w at 110rpm or 100w at 60rpm.

thebunk

@ta11pau1 that’s a great explainer on ERG, thank you. I’ve ridden outside in the woods, and I’ve got a vague understanding of watts equalling power but this is all quite new to me. The Zwift approach really appeals to me from a techy gamified POV but there’s a lot to pick up for the novice.

I think the Zwift 101 thing will tell me more about FTP, and I’ve just found this article which explains it too. Sounds horrific 😅

ta11pau1

Yeah you’ll soon pick it up, do some normal rides and it’ll make sense.

I only started last September and I’m now 2000km, and 2x training plans deep… 🤣

And yes, FTP tests are as horrible as they sound!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Unless you’ve done serious road riding, don’t worry about racing just yet. Even though there’s different categories, it’s super competitive. You’ll need to have your FTP set correctly as a minimum to do a race or a workout.

I’d personally disagree with this – jump into racing as soon as you’ve got the basics of turning the pedals if that’s what floats your boat so long as you’re not off the readily disheartened/offended type – you will lose lots.

Setup a zwift power account:

https://support.zwift.com/en_us/connecting-to-zwiftpower-SyldRc_4H and
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/zwiftpower-your-ultimate-guide/

Start in D, if you’re not completely hammered go up to C, B then A. (if you’re a competitive novice you are in the wrong category 😉)
    You’ll learn how the starts and finishes go fairly quickly.

After a few races Zwift power will give you a recommended category anyhow, sign up for those and stick with it.

You will gain fitness racing. Especially if you’re no already a racing type. Zwift training plans work for some but require a lot of sessions a week and can be very demanding very quickly (I’m in the not for others camp)

Most importantly, Enjoy it, and don’t forget, someone is always last sometimes it will be you. (or always, if you’re like me)

ta11pau1

True, although I will say I’m still confused about the racing thing, with zwift categories, zwift power (which only tracks races I think?), Having a correct FTP, which race/event to join, how to start a race etc etc…

I should probably start doing some races myself soon tbh, but I have more questions than answers on this subject – like what events can/should I join? There’s hundreds of race events, but very few official zwift ones. Can I just join any regardless of being a member of a club? Should I join a crit, or a time trial, and what the hell is a Fondo? What if I don’t have any zwift power results?

It’s confusing for me, 2000km in – so I’d give it at least a week or 2 getting used to the basics on zwift before jumping into racing.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

“Category enforcement” races gets rid of Zwiftpower higher ranks invading lower rank races, at best just messing up the racing between true D riders.

However, if ZwiftHQ don’t have enough power data for you in a rolling 60 day period, for now you will temporarily restricted to A. Just treat them as workouts, give them proper efforts and ZwiftHQ should quickly assign you to a lower category enforced rank after a race or two, unless you are a true A.

But all Zwift sessions are looked at by ZwiftHQ for this new system, so full-on free ride and ERG workout sessions will count, just ensure there are some approx 10min+ threshold+ efforts in there.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Can I just join any regardless of being a member of a club?

Yes, any you like that’s listed is fair game. No need for it to be a zwift official event.

Should I join a crit,

They’re fun, but you will get hammered, 20 min or so of maximum effort on multiple laps of a short course. (I actually think they make good beginners’ races too because they tend to fragment into sensible groups quite quickly so you get a proper race start and finish pretty much regardless of where in the field you are)

or a time trial,

If you’re a masochist, they’re brilliant, but they don’t follow the same dynamics as anything else. Be warned, bologna is a great but thoroughly evil course. (Fwiw I’d choose a tempus fugit TT over and FTP test every time and I’d be more confident of the result)

There’s a team option too:

We’ve a Thursday night team over here https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/zwift-team-time-trial-thursday-evenings/
    They’re a really good way of getting the hang of the draft and great for your fitness.

and what the hell is a Fondo?

It’s a sportive, eg it’s absolutely not a race but half the group will treat it as one. I think there is some enforcement on some mind and they get quite narky about you not sitting in group. They’re for people who take their online riding computer games much too seriously. Think battle reenactment types.

What if I don’t have any zwift power results?

Then join a few races, you’ll get them soon enough 😉

You’ll also get an FTP number from zwift from racing and just pedaling around. Personally I find the races the best measure anyway because its easier to ride until near death in a race than a test.

mogrim

@thebunk

4. I realise I sound like I’m taking the piss out of all the Cat discussions above but I swear this is a stupid serious question – will my cat run through my spokes? Should I make sure she’s not around when I’m on the turbo 🙀

My cats never have – my bike’s set up in the garage and I always ride with the side door open, and they wander in and out as and when they like. They’ve never been stupid enough to get too close to the bike when I’m using it. I’m assuming you’ll have a bottle of water to hand on the bike – you could always give moggy a quick squirt if she gets too close, she’ll soon learn 😀

ta11pau1

Cheers @dangeourbrain – I’m just finishing the build me up 12 week plan, once I’m back from a trip I’ll be looking to do some racing – current FTP of 3.07w/kg which puts me high end cat D, new FTP should be in the region of 3.3w/kg so low end cat C.

I’ll try a race or 2 once I’m back, currently it’ll let me enter cat C or above on the category enforced events so that matches my current FTP.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Something there isn’t quite right @ta11pau1 – those should be high C and mid B numbers.

As a firm mid B myself I say from experience you will get stuffed if you try staying with the front group for long but it’ll do wonders for your cardio!

One of the best things about the category enforcement in my experience/opinion is there’s competition right across the race as opposed to finding you’re doing a TT every time because everyone else not threatening the podium is still racing in C as they don’t like being beaten.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

3.07W/Kg average from best three 95% of 20mins puts you high end Zwiftpower C, 3.2W/Kg moves you to B. 😉

https://intervals.icu/ “power” “indoor” 2 parameter will give you a ballpark figure that ZwiftHQ are using for Critical Power category enforcement races, same W/Kg theshold figures as Zwiftpower, but based off single efforts and not an average of best three.

ta11pau1

Yep, sorry – meant C and B, not D and C!

Have signed up to intervals.icu – and have linked my Strava.

Being cat B should make things, erm… Interesting 🤣

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Being cat B should make things, erm… Interesting 🤣

Especially if you’ve been accidentally racing in D up to now 😉

ta11pau1

Especially if you’ve been accidentally racing in D up to now 😉

Ha, no! Haven’t touched racing at all yet, hence all the confusion really.

I’ll start in a couple of weeks 😁 FTP test on Thursday (to finish off the training plan) which should see me jump up to a cat B w/kg level.

stumpy01

One more thing to add to all of the information above – whenever you are using ERG mode (FTP tests/workouts etc) you should use the small chainring (assuming you are on a double) and about halfway up the cassette.
    If you use the big ring, your trainer will find it harder to adjust the resistance.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Ha, no! Haven’t touched racing at all yet, hence all the confusion really.

If you’ve not done any racing I’d suggest jumping in a cat C one before you get bumped to B, there’s a bit of an education to be had.

ta11pau1

One more thing to add to all of the information above – whenever you are using ERG mode (FTP tests/workouts etc) you should use the small chainring (assuming you are on a double) and about halfway up the cassette.
    If you use the big ring, your trainer will find it harder to adjust the resistance.

Yeah, good shout – learnt that a few weeks ago. Also nice to keep a perfectly straight chainline.

ta11pau1

If you’ve not done any racing I’d suggest jumping in a cat C one before you get bumped to B, there’s a bit of an education to be had.

Would have been good but I wanted to get this training plan finished. Did my FTP test tonight and on zwift I’m now at 3.38w/kg (269w @ 79.5kg) but intervals.icu has me at 3.41w/kg, I’m guessing that’s because they don’t base it on 20 min power?

So that should put me in (and only allow me to enter) in cat B. Bring on the suffering!! 🤣

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I used my dormant alt Zwift account a while ago to enter a 12 lap Crit City event, within ~30mins of finishing I now have a Cat Enforce ranking of B (while needing another race for a Zwiftpower rank), so quite quick placement.

Maybe placement was quick as west coast US would have been starting day just after I finished and ZwiftHQ process Cat Enforce data each morning, maybe they process data at any time of day quite promptly.

ta11pau1

I can still enter cat C in category enforced races, despite my FTP on zwift and on intervals.icu updated last night.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Dumb luck I reckon. There’s no way zwift did [something most people think is a good idea] that quickly except by accident.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Oooh new interface. That’s much better!

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 358 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.