Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • strava = thiefs best friend!
  • oneoneoneone
    Free Member

just seen this and it had never twigged that when i ride from home it is basically telling the thief’s where all the bikes are!

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/blog/532373/ride-mapping-sites-the-bike-thief-s-new-best-friend.html

wwaswas

Set an exclusion zone that’s not centred on your house but covers it

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

after reading the CW post i now know that!

cheers

wwaswas

I didn’t read the article, sorry, I’m on my phone.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I set up a load of off centred exclusion zones running along a main road, which as we live in a fairly highly populated areas probably includes several hundred households. I also did the same for a friends house as we often start recording the rides from his place.

I know there are other sites that will do this but This here mapping site will give you an approximate postcode to work with.

burt
    Free Member

not so sure about the exlusion zone. i have this set up on mine, but i do a regular same route run. i dont think it would take long to work out where i would pop up and follow me. that is a bit paranoid i know but with bikes going missing left right and center you need to be extra cautious

imnotverygood

I’m always slightly surprised that so many people use their full name on Strava. People should really realize that with your surname & an indication of where you live (to within a few hundred feet or even a mile) it is very easy to find your address.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’m always slightly surprised taht so amny people use their full name on Strava. People should really realize that with your surname & an indication of where you live (to within a few hundred feet or even a mile) it is very easy to find your address.

Bugger! I’m normally pretty cautious about that sort of stuff but just signed up to strava like an idiot.

[edit]
    Just changed my name.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Just changed mine

jonba
    Free Member

Your profile can only be seen by signed-in Strava members. Your name is anonymized (eg Jon B.) on all activities, leaderboards, club pages, events, and widgets for signed-out or non Strava members.

I ticked this box in privacy settings.

People say the same thing about forums, Facebook, club sites etc.

Most likely way a thief is going to target you is by seeing you on an expensive bike outside your house, not trawling internet sites IMO.

imnotverygood

& Strava vets its members to make sure they aren’t dishonest? Just tried it online and for 3 out of 5 randomly chosen rides has it meant I can work out where they live (one has obligingly told me what sort of bike he has :roll:)

user-removed
    Free Member

It’s obviously a good idea to be a bit careful, but I’m a wedding photographer and my name and address are all over the net – I can’t start worrying about it or I’d need to go and buy a shotgun 🙁

Bikes are the least of my worries tbh.

damo2576
    Free Member

Just give your bikes crap names, Shopper, Grifter etc

DickBarton

I’ve set up an exclusion zone but not convinced it is working as my start/end points appear to be within my exclusion zone…nowhere near my house but within my zone…how does that work?

FuzzyWuzzy

You need to set multiple exclusion zones centered at a few nearby addresses otherwise it’s a piece of piss to triangulate the centre of a single exclusion zone after you’ve logged a few rides.

crazy-legs
    trail_rat
    Free Member

Of course you could substitute strava in the title for outside the car mounted racks ……

brakes
    Free Member

not sure whether I like that article or not.
    whilst it draws attention to the risks of using Strava, it also advertises the fact to bike thieves.
    whilst I agree there is an element of risk, I think it’s a low one.

diablocableguy

I’ve taken to only starting my GPS once I’m a good hundred yards from home on any ride I intend to upload publicly. For transport I start straight away but make the ride private.

iainc

anyone know if you can set exclusions on Garmin connect ?

PrinceJohn

Showing the world how great you are on a local climb is one thing, but showing the world that you have several thousand pounds-worth of bikes tucked up in your garage is not a great idea.

& in that single sentence show’s the difference between MTB & road riders

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘strava = thiefs best friend!’ is closed to new replies.