• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by P20.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Strava, endomondo etc… – An easy resource for bike thieves?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

May be one of those urban myth type stories, but hearing stories locally about organised bike stealing gangs using the fact that people have open privacy settings to pinpoint where the ride starts and ends, and targetting bikes from that info. may be pi5h, but would make sense to me?.

monsteryeti
    Free Member

Set your home location as private for 500yrds on Strava, means they can never pin point your street / house unless you live on a farm…!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Would make sense… Which is why you never EVER publish a GPS route etc that starts/ends at your house.

dawson

I have my Endomondo set to ‘visible by friends only’ in the privacy settings.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Would make sense… Which is why you never EVER publish a GPS route etc that starts/ends at your house.

Agree, but I’m sure people do, though.

jota180
    Free Member

TBH – I think you’re over-thinking it

By far, most bike losses will have been opportunistic

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I may well be over-thinking it, just over-thinking out loud 🙂

Tracker1972
    Free Member

jota180, bit like not leaving your bike out front all night. It’s easy enough to tick a box to not show your house, so why not tick it and not think about it?

bonchance
    Free Member

Opportunists are not really the ones that bother me – at least in a hot spot like Bristol. It seems to be a serious and organised crime right now (at least in Bristol).

Agree following bikes going home is most likely – but if that is happening, how can easy finds like Strava be ruled out.. They know where the good stuff is kept.

Like bikelocks and deadlocks – precautions seem eminently sensible – especially to anyone afflicted..

crazy-legs

By far, most bike losses will have been opportunistic

Most are but there’s no point making it easier. Liveried cars outside your house or bike stickers in the car windows, bike left on the back/roof of a car on the way back from a trail centre, routes/pics/video on forums and route mapping will all help thieving scum pinpoint a house.

There have been threads on here very recently about multiple bikes being stolen (Nigel Page’s were taken a couple of weeks ago). That’s not opportunistic, that’s planned and targeted and involves a couple of people in a van to haul it all away.

arcoolc
    Free Member

I have the start finish point blocked on Strava to 1000ft. I have also used a couple of other near by postcodes set at different distances so that there can be no triangulation to my home.

Probably being paranoid, but the voices told me to do it.

trailhound
    Free Member

Had never thought about how putting my rides on strava may be advertising them to the ever increasing amount of thieving scum that seem to be operating around here ( and everywhere else by the look of it!) have now deleted my ride history and changed my settings to hide where my rides start and finish from home, thanks to monsteryeti for the heads up on that 1!

scottfitz
    Free Member

I have the start finish point blocked on Strava to 1000ft

Me too!

fontmoss
    Free Member

As said above I have logged a few postcodes within a cluster of my own so there is a decent range of addresses even if someone narrows it down.

FuzzyWuzzy

+1 for setting more than one exclusion zone

P20

I never post routes from the house. I may be over thinking it, but I’m not prepared to take the risk

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Strava, endomondo etc… – An easy resource for bike thieves?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM