Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Strava – followers/following…
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve had a request to be followed by someone I don’t know. He’s sort of local (lives 20 miles away) so we have a few mutual segments with times recorded, but I’ve not got a clue who he is.

Everyone who I follow and am followed by are people I ride with, either locally or elsewhere. Why should someone I don’t ride with want to follow me? What’s standard practice? ignore? block?

wwaswas

like twitter/facebook just ignore anyone you don’t want to follow and block any stalkers/spammers?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

(I don’t use twitter/facebook…)

wwaswas

(I don’t use twitter/facebook…)

Gosh 😉

Just ignore them if you don’t want to follow you. Blocking is a bit strong if all your rides are public anyway?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Don’t personally follow anyone I don’t know, but have a couple of randoms following me. I guess it’s a way to either motive yourself or to help discover new routes?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Ignore it is then.

unless anyone knows a Jamie F of Newcastle?

P20

Toons on here?

dsb181
    Free Member

Having more people follow you then you follow makes you faster

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I had a follower request from “cranliegh estate agents” 😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d be wary of an unknown following me, in case they are trying to work out where I live to rob me. (I’ve got numerous privacy zones set up though).

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Probably harmless, take your pick…
    maybe he’s
    interested in routes where you ride
    looking for someone to ride with
    Thinks you’re a riding God
    wants to destroy your KOM’s

acjim
    Free Member

i follow someone i don’t know, mainly because he nabbed a KOM from me and then when i got it back he gave me kudos and (post some wine) i thought it would be cool to follow him.

slightly regret it now and would un-follow but don’t want to appear rude…

(I realise how shite the above sounds!)

anc
    Free Member

He’s fine mate follows me and I don’t know him, he picked me up off the lakes segs… He’s probably using it as a way of picking up routes… Deffo not a troll.

timb34
    Free Member

slightly regret it now and would un-follow but don’t want to appear rude…

If you unfollow someone they don’t get a mail notification – I know this because recently a friend of mine managed to accidentally unfollow a whole load of people (me included) and the first I knew was the rather puzzling Follow Request from someone who I thought already was.

davidjey
    Free Member

I’m followed by a few people I don’t know. Almost all as a result of exchanging KOMs/similar times on the same segments, usually resulting in a bit of banter in the comments on each other rides.

I don’t think many thieves are going to the trouble of maintaining a Strava profile, going out and getting exercise and uploading the results, just to stalk some cyclists….

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

anc – Member
    He’s fine mate follows me and I don’t know him, he picked me up off the lakes segs… He’s probably using it as a way of picking up routes… Deffo not a troll.

Same here, requested to follow me after one of my lakes trips as well. As for following people I don’t know there’s a few who I follow and vice versa. Mainly from my local road cycling club who started to take notice of me after borrowing a few Kom’s off them 😀

njee20
    Free Member

I had a follower request from “cranliegh estate agents”

You mean Seymour’s Estate Agents Cranleigh? Me too! I get kudos periodically!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Where do you live bandito ? Is it me requesting I have a tendency of adding all the locals to my strava. Its mainly for picking up route advice.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

That’s the one njee20.
    Wtf….

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Can’t see that it really matters, if he’s local he’s probably just looking for new routes and having yours show up without him having to go looking for them is a bit more convenient for him. Give it until Christmas if he sends you a card then he’s gone too far and you can strike him off the list.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

or..
    standard practice?
    Actively target his KOM’s

KevinPP
    Free Member

Possibly your times have caught his attention on certain segments. I have a few followers I haven’t met as yet but see me as their ‘competition’.
    Possibly going to be meeting some of them this weekend for a ride, so it could be a good way of meeting new riding buddies on your fitness level.

toons
    Free Member

It was me that sent the request.

I ride over Hexham way and was interested in your routes.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Mine are nearly all people I ride with, apart from a couple who are on here who I ride in the same place as them & we’ve had some banter.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

ah, ok toons.
    i’ll accept 🙂

toons
    Free Member

Thank you

BTW have you seen what they’ve done in DHW!!! That’s not gonna end well

ir_bandito
    Free Member

BTW have you seen what they’ve done in DHW

Whereabouts? I’ve not been in Dukes for a couple of weeks…

toons
    Free Member

I don’t think the new land owner will be happy when he see’s this!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Yikes!

wwaswas

there’s a very big spider building a web at the beginning of that ramp 😯

Is that cheeky stuff?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Is that cheeky stuff?

Its certainly not a bridleway… 😉

DHW is private woodland, but traditionally has been “gifted to the local people for recreation” or words to that effect. Bit of a scare locally as its been being sold, and there’s concern that the woodland could be fenced off except for the couple of footpaths that go through it. A local group is trying to buy it to keep it open. Sale was due to go through recently, I’m not sure what’s happened since.

Either way, dodgy north-shore is going to cause problems….

Pukeko
    Free Member

The spider web is hazard warning tape as the wood feature is not complete (you don’t see any tyre tracks on it and it is as wobbly as a wobbly thing). It is not on main line and is set up as a jump 😯

Agree with bandito – will not help secure open access for mtbers…

DT78
    Free Member

Posting about it on a public forum probably won’t help much either! I’d edit it out…

dsb181
    Free Member

Behind Natwest, but you didn’t hear it from me.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Strava – followers/following…’ is closed to new replies.