Straight pull spoke building tips

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Straight pull spoke building tips
  • Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

I have ordered some rims for an old set of Hope Hoops with straight pull spokes so I’m stuck with straight pull. It has just struck me that I have no idea what stops the spoke simply spinning around as you try to build the wheel? Is this a non issue as the fit of the spoke head holds it tight in the hub or am I in for hassle? Advice appreciated

Advice? Sell and get J bends.

Having built a Hope straight-pull hub and Stan’s Crest rim I vowed never to touch either ever again.

mrlugz

On a different note, I built a 24″ wheel for Minilugz using a crest rim, hope pro2 evo SP hub and DT swiss comp spokes with no great issues.

If anything it was a little easier due to not having to ‘thread’ the spoke as much. (I appreciate that will not be the correct term)

Premier Icon stevied
    Subscriber

I laced up some DT Aerocomps and used a small piece of wood with a hacksaw cut in. Worked perfectly..

jabbi

Just hold the spokes still with your fingers for the first couple of turns of the nipple. When the tension has built up a bit they won’t move.

Those little rubber faced glue clamping pincers work well to hold the spoke.

trail_rat

lube the nipples – itll nae be an issue….

ive rebuilt mine a few times after race related issues and being on the upper limits of a 24 spoke rim 😀

dovebiker

You can use a spoke vice, or if you have strong-enough fingers you can apply enough pressure to stop it twisting. You can expect a bit more spoke wind-up during building and therefore stress-relieving is a bit more critical.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

This is a total bodge but I put some rubber tape on some pliars and held them that way- worked a charm tbh

(that was a full rebuild replacing all the nipples, rather than a ground up build, but the principle’s the same. I expect doing this for a full build would be more of a pain in the arse, but maybe there’s more you can do to prevent rotation)

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

OK, fingers crossed it will all go easy otherwise it’s a bit of rubber and pliers (my spokes aren’t bladed) At least there are only 24 spokes per wheel to deal with

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I found the build ok and holding spokes with my fingers was fine.

Removing the knackered and corroded alloy nipples I was replacing was more of a problem…

ndthornton

You can expect a bit more spoke wind-up during building

Why should you expect this?
    For me less spoke wind is the only advantage to straight pull spokes…as has been mentioned they just spin. If you steady the spoke with fingers or a clamp that’s even less spoke wind surely

Premier Icon stevied
    Subscriber

Sorry, read it as bladed SP’s.. 😳

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

Thanks for all the comments, wheel No.1 is underway and is proving no bother. I put tape flags on all the spokes so I can check they aren’t turning and as the tension starts to build they appear to hold pretty firm

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Straight pull spoke building tips’ is closed to new replies.