Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Stormtroopers – what's the point?
  • convert

“aren’t you a little short for a Stormtrooper?”

😀

It’s weird – turns out there are a good number of ladies (word used advisedly) who harbour an ambition to fellate a stormtooper in the backroom of a party. Who knew!

Rorschach
    Free Member

woody2000

Can’t shoot, but they can dance 🙂

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyqfHvoUtkU[/video]

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

It’s weird – turns out there are a good number of ladies (word used advisedly) who harbour an ambition to fellate a stormtooper in the backroom of a party. Who knew!

Bloody wish I had of!!

While we’re on the subject, are the cartoons worth a watch from the beginning? The boy has started wanting to watch ’em but it’s kinda irritating jumping in half way (? God knows?) through a series.

GrahamS

Pretty sure that the main reason they wear identical suits and full-face helmets is that the censors are then okay with them being massacred in firefights.

If the same number of humans were shot then it would have got a higher rating.

Sorry

squirrelking
    Free Member

Dare say women would have been n an equal footing, IIRC the Empire had it’s fair share of nasties.

At a guess Luke would have trained as a pilot rather than a grunt.

Geek fact – when the Millenium Falcon escapes from the boarding party in Tatooine (EpIV) one of the attacking troopers shoots his commander in the back because he was sick of him being a collosal asshat. I tried several times to see this but VHS was not kind with framerate and resolution.

I_Ache
    Free Member

*Orders Stormtrooper outfit*

bigrich

I always preferred the empire, as they were much more organised and nicely turned out.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Empire is now The First Order
    Rebels is now The Resistance

jon1973
    Free Member

by the time of the events of Episode IV: A New Hope, the Empire has been recruiting from general populations for years.

I bet they’re all on zero hours contracts as well.

budgierider67

I suspect cost comes into the cloning choice too. If you are gonna run a successful evil galactic empire you save a packet by only having the one stormtrooper uniform size.

muddy9mtb

can’t fail to chuckle

squirrelking
    Free Member

I bet they’re all on zero hours contracts as well.

Yup, scraping a living, fitting toilets on a classified Imperial construction project one day and blown to bits by rebel scum the next with no thought of how the families of the coonstruction workers get by afterwards…

muddy9mtb

effects of zero hours contracts

stevedoc
    Free Member

Imaige fail , back to work I go ;(

cloudnine
    Free Member

The first female stormtrooper will be in the new film.
    She is one of my friends ex girlfriend.. She’s tall btw

bigrich

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iEK-IEzw[/video]

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Know a couple who are huge Sci fi geeks, go to lots of conventions etc.
    She has the full official storm trooper kit made from the original film moulds, he has Darth Vader.
    Its quite comical because she’s around six inches taller than him!

razorrazoo

nickjb – Member

I always thought they were a trained goons topped up with clones. Luke was applying to join the Academy to become one before the Obi Wan thing kicked off.

I thought Luke was off to train to be a rebel pilot (assume the Rebels had an academy as they were pretty orgnaised) as his friend Biggs (?) (the moustachioed rebel pilot who got shot down during the Deathstar battle in Star Wars) had done. Note how they greet each other with familiarity when they are preparing for the battle.

Oh and this shop is just down the road from my house, needless to say its window display is truly awesome.

bigrich

I thought Luke was off to train to be a rebel pilot (assume the Rebels had an academy as they were pretty orgnaised) as his friend Biggs (?) (the moustachioed rebel pilot who got shot down during the Deathstar battle in Star Wars) had done.

you want 4:19

mikey74
    Free Member

pondo

I thought Luke was off to train to be a rebel pilot (assume the Rebels had an academy as they were pretty orgnaised) as his friend Biggs (?) (the moustachioed rebel pilot who got shot down during the Deathstar battle in Star Wars) had done

It’s in the novel (which is credited to George Lucas but apparently was actually written by Allen Dean Foster. It’s a good book. 🙂 ). Biggs went to the academy but jumped ship to join the rebels – Luke wanted to join but nasty Uncle Owen kept asking him to put it off to help with the farming (because Tattoine looks prime for crop-growing….).

brassneck

When I was a kid, I did also think they were robots. And Darth Vader.

I didn’t because one of them said ‘Look sir, droids!’

I appreciate it’s not exactly proof positive but I was 6.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Uncle Owen was a moisture farmer.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Moisture_farm

razorrazoo

It’s in the novel (which is credited to George Lucas but apparently was actually written by Allen Dean Foster. It’s a good book. ). Biggs went to the academy but jumped ship to join the rebels – Luke wanted to join but nasty Uncle Owen kept asking him to put it off to help with the farming (because Tattoine looks prime for crop-growing….).

Yeah, I read the book years ago but could not remember the detail. Some googling and ‘Wookiepedia’ also suggested an Imperial Academy. Looks like regardless of whether you are a supporter of the Empire or not, the Academy offered an ‘out’ for bored young moisture farmers who could jump ship to the Rebel Alliance at the first opportunity.

pondo

Uncle Owen was a moisture farmer.

Well I never. You’d have to say, judging by the scenery in A New Hope, he hasn’t manage to grow much of it.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Well it was either that or being a Nerf hearder.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    So how come the guy in the trailer looks nothing like jango fett?
    Same reason Luke doesn’t when he takes the helmet off.

No one really knows, well unless they worked on the film.

He could be a Storm Trooper, he could be a rebel dressed as a Storm Trooper – I adore Star Wars, Star War really was my childhood – but they’re just films, and one thing I hate about Star Wars and a few other films with massive cult followings – is the “expanded universe” – to the die-hards just because some half-arsed hack writes a book which says Jabba the Hut was really a driod or Jedis can walk on water – they get all shitty if any new films deviate from it.

Anyway, to be incredibly geeky – the Clone Solders in the prequals, as everyone else had said were all cloned from Jango Fett, so they all look and sound like him.

Ironically, when the new guy was shown in the teaser trailer a lot of geeks lost their shit because he wasn’t “white” despite the fact Temuera Morrison – who played Jango and a load of the Clone Troopers and Jay Laga’aia who played a later version of a Clone Trooper aren’t white either – they’re of M?ori descent, but that’s not really important….

Anyway, in the prequal Clone Troopers, as the name suggests – are all Clones, but as the films progressed and there were more of them they changed and evolved.

Fast forward 20 years or so to the originals films and the Clone Troopers are gone and there are Imperial Storm Troopers – they cocked about with the original films in when of the thousands of subtly different versions to give them the voice of Temuera Morrison so you can assume that at least some of them are still clones.

Fast forward another 30 or so years to the new one and frankly – we don’t know shit, a lot of people will say X or Y because they know the “expanded universe” but that stuff contradicts itself wildly – in fact, as far as I know in most of it written about after the events of the original films the Empire falls after RotJ but if the trailers are anything to go by – it’s still alive an well and tie-fighters are fighting X-wings and someone is flying the falcon into insanely small gaps.

As I said, the new guy might be a recruit, after-all Luke was planning to enlist in Empire as a pilot before Old Ben found him – so they might not all be Clones.

vondally
    Free Member

a good number of years ago, leaving a club following playing rugby we can across a fallen white object, we could see it had white legs, walked/ambled over to find a large overweight Caucasian male wearing a star troopers uniform, way too small for him, portions of fat oozing from the seams of the suit armour, he had passed out, well fainted due to the constriction of the suit on his body, similar to a victorian corset, as we began to loosen the uniform and try to revive him only to have several ewoks, darth vaders, han solos and skywalkers shouting leaving him alone, various lightsabers waving and toy guns aimed at us. When we moved to turn round they all stopped and a respectful distance was kept though I have to say I seem to recall the ewoks were prepared to attempt a flanking move.
    we pointed out what happeneded and they shuffled forwards to reclaim thei fallen stormtrooper we left him with his fellows
    , it was all very biazarre and surreal when comic cons were still rare and only for unusual folk.

slowoldman

Pretty thick though aren’t they? Stumbling through narrow doorways one by one to get picked off by the goodies.

Did they never watch any WWII films?

Cougar

Yup, scraping a living, fitting toilets on a classified Imperial construction project one day and blown to bits by rebel scum the next with no thought of how the families of the coonstruction workers get by afterwards…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGOVbXF7Iog[/video]

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Did they never watch any WWII films?

Well no, duh, it was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away…

razorrazoo

Must watch Clerks again, don;t think I appreciated it enough first time around.

squirrelking
    Free Member

…that’s what life is, a series of down endings.

Northwind

wwaswas – Member

So are any Stormtroopers women?

Google this with caution you must, if at work you are, hmm?

Going right back to the start, it’s like any other uniform, they serve different purposes… You do see stormtroopers using camo, on endor. (the white is probably pretty effective in most of the places we see them using it, hoth and wossname, snow and sand)

They’re not so much an army, when we see them most of the time, they’re military police/occupying forces, so visibility, facelessness and menace are more important than hiding. Identical soldiers is a big statement of the seamless/omniprescence of the empire. It’s like shipping the met in to do your face stamping.

I was going to say once you’ve got handheld lasers and the like armour’s probably pretty pointless, so it’d be more environmental and protection against basic attacks. But it doesn’t stop ewok sticks either so maybe not.

And that’s why the girl stormtroopers’ armour is always missing bits.

Sonor
    Free Member

I do remember thinking that white Stormtrooper armour on Endor seemed a little redundant

The idea of white armour is because its meant to intimidate their enemies.

Which had absolutely no effect on those furry little f***ers who populate Endor.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

The other good colours are taken up too. Emperors guard red, fighter pilots black and troopers white. The remaining colours bar yellow or orange would be meh.

pictonroad

I never got into Star Wars, I saw the one with the ewok people in but missed the other two.

Got a little boy now so I get a chance to start again.

wwaswas

Got a little boy now so I get a chance to start again.

My experience is that you’ll see the whole sequence in 20 minute segments, out of sequence, over the next 5 years as you’ll either a) fall asleep or b) have to get up and do ‘stuff’ every time the kid settles down to watch it.

CountZero

bigrich – Member
    I always preferred the empire, as they were much more organised and nicely turned out.

Possibly designed by Hugo Boss?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Stormtroopers – what's the point?’ is closed to new replies.