Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • storing 'personal data'
  • jag61

To register for work I have been asked to supply the usual data DOB, NI, bank detail etc etc. Looking at the T & Cs became a bit concerned at the security of it. I understand that it is needed for pay, CRB/DBS checks etc.but this term seems to say ‘we need/want this data but will store it outside EEA and we think it will be ok’ I am sure it is not a scam but not happy about hitting send. Any thoughts please.
    TIA

Drac

Mine have all mine without it they can’t pay me.

wiggles
    Free Member

Tell them to shove it put on a tin foil hat and live your life alone In the woods.

Or stop being paranoid and give them the info 😉

scotroutes

Tell me what information they need to pay your wages and I’ll supply you with some “dummy” data instead. Don’t worry, they’ll never know because I’ll make sure it still relates to a real live person. 8)

jam-bo

If TIA reffers to This is Africa then I’d be slightly concerned. otherwise, carry on.

samuri
    Free Member

Every company in the EU is bound by the data protection act. It’s a hard resolution with proper teeth. Companies are scared of it because the ICO are starting to get some real power and rightly so.

If They store it outside the EU then that’s a breach and I would be concerned as you are. That should be questioned.

edit: It’s a breach if appropriate protection isn’t applied. *thats* what should be questioned.

wiggles
    Free Member

Do they need your bank details so they can help out a Nigerian prince?

jag61

apparently some prince has a sick granny needing an operation, I think it will be stored on his memory stick? will that be ok?, I spose I will have to agree to it if I want any work out of them, just a bit worrying that it seems standard practise,. this is what worried me…
    “The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers or clients. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely” and in accordance with this privacy policy. thanks for all replies anyhow especially the useful ones 😀

wiggles
    Free Member

Sounds like they might just be using overseas outsourcing for data storage/processeing. When they have cheap labour in India etc doing the mass data entry

jag61

thanks wiggles so that prince is an ok dude then?

ourmaninthenorth

If it’s stored in the US, remember the EU US Safe Harbor (though it’s always possible one side will change their mind).

Northwind

The “may store outside EEA” thing is a fairly standard boilerplate that you’ll find on a lot of tcs and cs- we have it, we’re never going to store any of this information anywhere but in a cupboard in Edinburgh but it’s in all of our data agreements so it’s in the contract one just for consistency.

Not to say you definitely shouldn’t worry, more that it’s not automatically a cause for concern.

wiggles
    Free Member

If you can’t trust a prince who can you trust?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘storing 'personal data'’ is closed to new replies.