• This topic has 40 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • STOLEN: Santa Cruz Nomad in Anodised Grey – very large frame
  • phutureproof
    Free Member

Last night my bike was stolen from my back garden in Cowley, Oxford. Its quite a high spec build and is a very large frame as I am 6’5″.

Its in very good nick, and as far as I know has no significant scratches.

Grey Chris King headset
    Pace Fighter carbon forks(uncut)
    XT all round
    Easton Bars/posts
    Hope Mono M4 disks with floating rotors
    DMR V12 pedals
    Braidied hoses

Keep your eyes peeled!

phutureproof
    Free Member

It was built by 18bikes, so it has one of their chain-slap velcro protector thingies on there as well. For what its worth, it was also datatagged.

jedi

will keep an eye open in herts.

phutureproof
    Free Member

Thanks jedi.

jedi

i tweeted it too

phutureproof
    Free Member

Cool – it all helps. Really appreciate it! This was the best bike I’ve ever had. 🙁

phutureproof
    Free Member

I also have the frame number if anyone sees anything suspicious.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

at the risk of insulting your intelligence check (and keep checking) ebay and gumtree. A lot of decent nicked bikes pop up on ebay on short listings. Also search with typos to take idiot thief into account.
    Oxford Police have had a few good results recently getting back stolen bikes advertised on ebay, at a recent one they recovered a houseful of nice bikes. Will pass info around to local riders and coppers (some are one and the same) alike.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Bump… Hope you get that one back Rick…

billyboy
    Free Member

If Oxford Police have been doing something positive like that then good for them. Not many outfits nowadays would bother. Gives you a bit of hope.

phutureproof
    Free Member

Bump!

Just checking if this has popped up on anyone’s radar yet? If its been split up, the forks are reasonably rare I think. Carbon Fibre PACE Fighters that aren’t available anymore: mint condition, uncut steerer.

Anyone seen owt suspicious?

MadBillMcMad

don’t loose hope.

mine turned up on ebay 6 months after been nicked so make sure you have that automatic search on ebay enabled.

The police then did an excellent job & recovered it with 2 hours of me ringing them.

phutureproof
    Free Member

Thanks for the support.

“automatic search on ebay enabled”

Ah – I was wondering if something like that existed. I will look into it. Is that a feature of Ebay itself or some third party vendor?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

ebay feature, go into advanced search. youll get an email whenever something with your search term pops up (so worth setting a few with different spellings etc).

phutureproof
    Free Member

Obviously I’m being thick. I can’t find any way in advanced options to do this…

Is it on this page somewhere?
    http://shop.ebay.co.uk/ebayadvsearch/?rt=nc

18bikes

save the search – you’ll need to sign into eBay to do it.

sorry to hear the loss – we’ve photos (i think) if you need for anything.

one other one to try is sign up to google and setup google alerts – it emails you when your chosen phrase is indexed as a new page with them. Never found our stolen bikes, but has helped us find forum posts about us..

ATB
    Si

phutureproof
    Free Member

Ah – I think I’ve found it. You’ve got to do a search first and then ‘save this search’.

Very handy!

phutureproof
    Free Member

Thanks Si. Useful to know that you’ve got photos. I am so sad to have lost her. It was a real beauty and an absolute joy to ride. You did a great build job for me and nothing needed to be changed in all the time I had it.

The PACE forks were amazing – sad they don’t seem to make them anymore (not that I could afford them now anyway!).

Rich

phutureproof
    Free Member

Just a bump to see if anyone has spotted anything. I ain’t giving up!

strangertothelight
    Free Member

found this on ebay, but I guess you have already seen it?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Santa-Cruz-Nomad-chrome-frame-chris-king-/260721226079?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3cb432315f

is this one anything like yours?

I hope you track it down sooner or later.

phutureproof
    Free Member

Mmm. I did see that the other day. Mine did have a pewter coloured CK headset (not that common I don’t suppose) but the frame was annodised dark/slate grey. Could that be stripped off to leave chrome?

Also, they are advertising it as medium, but mine was XL. They could be lying I guess.

If you have a minute, could you email him and ask for a specific measurement that will help determine the size for sure. He’d probably spot that I’m from Oxford and not respond to me if it is suspect.

strangertothelight
    Free Member

ok, I will ask him. I think the Q&A should come up at the bottom of the page, so you should be able to see it. I didn’t see that it said it was medium, which is why I thought it might be a possibility. It’s worth investigating. I will keep my eyes peeled.

phutureproof
    Free Member

Cheers mate.
    (reading again, the description seems pretty legit, but you never know)

strangertothelight
    Free Member

yeah I thought it looked legit as well, but you’re right – I doubt they would make it easy to identify.

phutureproof
    Free Member

Just a bump on this to see if anyone has seen anything suspect.
    Basically, its a high spec Santa Cruz Nomad in XL size, anodised grey.

phutureproof
    Free Member

Another bump on this and more on the story.

I’m still looking for my stolen bike – I will not give up! If anyone has seen one, let me know. To reiterate, it is a very large XL size. Mint condition, anodised grey. It is about 4 years old now, so the old style XL, not the 20″ XL they do nowadays. Pace carbon fighter forks, also mint (at the time of theft).

I had another attempted bike theft last weekend. Woke up on Sunday morning to find my various bikes that were leaning against my ‘good’ bike scattered around the garden, and the lock that holds them all together cut. They tried to take my ‘good’ bike (an Orange) but failed as I had installed a ground anchor and HUGE lock a few months ago. I reported the attempted theft to the police and they came to dust for prints on the varous bikes that they had moved.

I decided to invest in a couple of motorcycle disk brake alarms and a CCTV camera that records any motion and sends me an email with a picture if it detects motion.

3am on Saturday morning, I am awoken by the motorbike alarms! I ran downstairs to find that something had blown over in the wind and triggered the alarm. I went back up to bed but though I would check my emails just in case. It wasn’t the wind, but two scumbags trying to nick my bike again. Its all been caught on my CCTV camera!

I noticed from the footage that they did not have any large cutting tools with them which I thought was a little odd, given that they were obviously the same guys who failed to get through the ground anchor the week before. In daylight, I realised they had been trying to steal componants and had unscrewed the brakes and the top cap to the forks. In their haste to escape once they triggered the alarms, they have left their multitool on the floor, which is now also being held as evidence.

wwaswas

that’s not good 🙁

the fact they’re going for compenents rather than complete bikes is a bit concerning – means they have a fair idea of what they’re looking for and how to get it.

jedi

the police will know them if they on film

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Good luck on getting your bike back phutureproof.
    That CCTV camera sounds like a good piece of kit – have you got a link to which model it is please?

d45yth
    Free Member

It’s a sickener went the scumbags keep on coming back like this.
    There’s been about 20 bikes stolen in my local area the past couple of months. I would love the chance to set up some kind of trap for them so I could remove a few body parts with some secateurs. 😈

phutureproof
    Free Member

Its a Logitech WiLife Internal Camera system that I got from Maplin. It sticks on the inside of my window with a sucker and looks outwards. I think they are a discontinued product now, but I picked it up for £70 (was about £180 originally). You can get add-on external cameras too.

I bought some of the locking (well, 5-sided ‘pent-key’) bolts for the wheels and seatpost clamp to help. I know they aren’t going to stop a determined thief, but anything helps.

Does anyone use any kind of locking headset to prevent theft of forks? Again, I know it isn’t going to stop a determined scumbag, but anyhting that slows them down, the better.

I look on ebay every month or so for my Nomad, but I haven’t seen it yet 🙁

sobriety
    Free Member

I look on ebay every month or so for my Nomad, but I haven’t seen it yet

If it was the same scummers that stole the Nomad that tried to break in again (likely) I’d put money on the Nomad being stripped, all the parts sold and the frame binned/scrapped/thrown in a canal, since it’s the easiest way of identifying the bike and this lot seem somewhat ‘professional’, unfortunately 🙁

phutureproof
    Free Member

My thoughts exactly. I’m 99% sure its the same people. The thing is, you can’t see my bikes from outside our garden. We have high fences and there is no overlooking. They will have known that I’d be getting some kind of replacement so probably just checked back 6-8 months later.

I do search for the forks as well, but its very very unlikely.

d45yth
    Free Member

Buy this book…It has a section on trapping, quality stuff for killing wild pigs and the like. Might not work if you’ve got kids.
    This was my favourite book as a boy, learnt all kinds from it.

phutureproof
    Free Member

I will add the book to my Amazon basket now! 😉

phutureproof
    Free Member

Just a bit more info for anyone interested. The police finally came around to collect the CCTV footage from the attempted theft at the beginning of September. Half an hour later, I got a call from the police saying that they recognise one of the guys and they are going to be able to make an arrest.

Now if i COULD ONLY LINK HIM WITH THE THEFT OF THE nOMAD, i’D BE REALLY QUITE HAPPY.

(sorry for caps!)

wwaswas

At least you have the satisfaction of someone being arrested – I hope it results in a conviction.

andyl
    Free Member

Great news. Everyone should monitor their stuff with CCTV.

I’ve got a camera that you can pan and tilt from a web interface on a PC/mobile phone which I had for my flat in Bristol.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Thanks for the update, it’ll be interesting to hear where this goes.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Class!!well done!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘STOLEN: Santa Cruz Nomad in Anodised Grey – very large frame’ is closed to new replies.