Viewing 13 posts - 241 through 253 (of 253 total)
  • Steve’s Garage – a photo a day for lockdown
  • FB-ATB

Thanks Dave, this has been a great thread.

My grandad was in the civil defence in WWII and was awarded the George Cross. He took me to many VC & GC dos- for a kid bought up on war films and Commando comic, listening to their stories (*) was a dream.

With no access to recording equipment in the late 70s/early 80s I’ve forgotten most of the tales / people I met. The exception being Odette Samson (SOE).

* most of the tales weren’t of the glories of war, rather the hi jinx they got up to in down time.
    All of them, highly decorated as they were, were keen to point out that what they did was often no more heroic that what others did say in day out.

The only tale I recall was from post war when one of the guys had a problem with the Krays and called in a favour from a mate who was in the LRDG to pay them a visit.

This thread has been a great reminder of these people, and my grandad.

The hoarding also has echoes of my dad!

beamers

This thread has been one of my all time favourites on here.

Thanks to Steve for holding on to all of these treasures and thanks to you Dave for sharing them and rounding it off in such a befitting and poignant way.

Top work.

connect2

Another one adding my thanks for this thread, sounds like Steve was quite a guy!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Likewise, thank you Dave for taking the time to share this story with us. Ending is especially poignant for me, as my own great aunt Edna lost her first husband in the war. As you say, we celebrate the gift of peace, gratefully received from all those who suffered across the globe.

avdave2

I’m really pleased that you’ve all been able to take something away from this and I’ve really enjoyed reading of the memories it’s brought back for others. At some point I’ll put everything together in an album online along with the stuff I’ve not posted.

I know Steve would have loved talking to all of you as well. Tonight I shall be opening a bottle of Pommeau de Normandie Ferme de Billy, 17% Cider! It’s from the village of Rots and I’ll be drinking it from a mug commemorating the 50th anniversary of VE day I found in his kitchen. Cheers to all of you

easily
    Free Member

Good work avdave2, this has been a pleasure to read/view.

granny_ring

Cheers OP, a great thread very interesting.

Sandwich

As an aside OP. That kitchen unit is it wood or metal? If metal it’s made out of old WW2 aircraft skin and worth a fortune (lots of Spitfires were used to make the homes fit for heroes).

avdave2

@sandwich I’m happy to say it’s wood apart from the enamel work surface on the drop front. I’d hate to think a Spitfire has died to build it no matter what it was worth. We had one fly over earlier, is there anything else that will get everyone out and looking up, such a beautiful and graceful aircraft. It reminds me so much of my own grandma as she had something similar. I shall definitely be keeping it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m late to this, enjoyed very much.

leffeboy

Lovely piece of work, thank you. In a world where everything seems so disposable it’s good to be reminded that some stuff should be kept because stories stick to things

ransos
    Free Member

I’d like to add my thanks. I feel like I’ve got to know someone I’ve never met.

Sandwich

So good news, bad news! Had a quick look on eBay and the first hit is £345 BIN for a metal kitchen cupboard in a poor state.

Viewing 13 posts - 241 through 253 (of 253 total)

The topic ‘Steve’s Garage – a photo a day for lockdown’ is closed to new replies.