Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 253 total)
  • Steve’s Garage – a photo a day for lockdown
  • fadda

Please keep this up – not only is it fascinating (my dad’s garage/shed was always full of interesting stuff), but it’s also educational – I’d never heard of Swedish plate money!

avdave2

I’d never heard of Swedish plate money!

Neither had I fadda, it’s utterly mad, imagine having to slip one of them in your back pocket to get a coffee at the cafe stop! When I googled it to find out what it was another 1/2 Daler plate had sold for $400 at Bonhams in 2010. Steve just had it lying on the workbench with other random bits an pieces.

fadda

If only you could add the educational and interest value together with the monetary value of some of these things…

finishthat
    Free Member

Billings and Spencer of Connecticut , there is one of those screwdrivers on ebay in US in much worse condition , that one you have is likely wort a bit to somebody.

avdave2

Well there are currently 2240 posts on Watches N+1 so hopefully this will interest a few people.

watch 1

watch 2

A Jaeger-LeCoultre G.T.S.P watch from 1939-45. I’m not entirely sure why Steve had this, he’d never mentioned it. They were apparently ordered by the British Military for specific needs, many being used by RAF navigators and bomb aimers. The seconds hand is missing and the face damaged there. I don’t know if that’s just from age or one of the two occasions he was wounded, either could have damaged much of his kit. It probably sat in his garage from when he moved in in 1982 until I found it and a quick wind up and off it went. I haven’t actually checked the timekeeping yet.

Kingkona

Big Like!

bedmaker

Great thread 👍
    This reminds me of visiting the Dingwall auction mart to mooch around the stuff for sale on a Friday.
    Amongst all the China and furniture, there’s always old toolboxes and ancient power tools.
    I always find them quite poignant, as they are more than likely there through shed clearance following the owners passing.

avdave2

I bet everyone has at least one of these old screwdrivers somewhere but maybe not the soldering irons.

Screwdrivers

I’ve checked the watch this morning and it’s lost 10 minutes over 24 hours so I think I’ll look at getting it serviced at some point. I’ve been trying to think of why he might have been issued it and have one theory. 46 Commando originally only had one mission set for the whole Normandy campaign, in fact it was likely that it would be the only operation they completed of the entire war. On June 7th they were to go and attack whichever of 2 German artillery emplacements were causing the most problems on the landing beaches. They would be landing outside of any of the official landing areas, the Royal Navy had said they could get them in but not out again. The plan was for A&B troops to land first and under fire scale the cliffs putting ropes and ladders in as they went. The other troops would follow behind and then once all ashore and with no heavy weapons, only small arms they were after scaling the cliffs to attack the the emplacements which were defended with barbed wire, minefields and pill boxes. Every troop had a separate roll in the attack, X troop of which Steve was a member had been trained for the unenviable role of actually getting into the emplacements and placing the demolition charges on the guns. I’m guessing that the reason he had been issued with a watch reserved for where very accurate timings were required was so that all of them setting the fuses needed to be sure they were working to the same timings.

Once they’d completed this they would be behind enemy lines and the again with no heavy weapons would have to fight their way back to Juno where they would have been taken back to the Isle of Wight. Fortunately for them the RAF had done a fantastic job in attacking the emplacements ahead of them and neither battery was able to cause significant problems for the main landings. 46 Commando were already in their landing craft when the call was made and they were diverted to Juno.

Some 50 years or more later a few of the remaining members went back to look at the cliffs and the batteries they were meant to attack and concluded that while they may well have succeeded there was almost no chance that any of them would have escaped being killed, wounded or captured trying to get back to the landing beaches. The cliffs turned out to be mostly mud and so crumbly that all their training on Cornish sea cliffs and their equipment would have been almost useless. They all realised on that day just what they owed to the RAF.

So I think it’s most likely that the watch was issued for a job that never happened. And Steve being Steve was always going to hang onto it.

fadda

I always think watches are such a personal thing (I have my mums crappy, cheap old thing as my only memento).
    That watch could be already is an amazing artefact, and if it was sympathetically “fixed up”, it would be truly a link back to your buddy Steve…

Kuco

My old man had a complete set of those screwdrivers and chisels and a full set of wooden planes. When he died and my mum moved we gave them away.

avdave2

One of the fascinating things for me Kuco is that the garage was full of things some ordinary and some rather less than ordinary but there is something almost anyone can relate to. That watch is an object of great interest just because of when and why it was made but a simple wooden screwdriver that can remind someone of their dad or granddad is just as important an object. And the watch is really no different to fadda’s mum’s watch in that it’s true value is the person it reminds you of.

joshvegas
    Free Member

When we were clearing my grandads garage out (under his supervision aged 98) we found some cool stuff including a dictaphone type arrangement.

None of the shitty wee tapes or digital stuff. This badboy cut vinyl disks.

Put it aside and never saw it again.

blokeuptheroad

Late to this thread but absolutely loving it. I vividly remember the awe and wonder of my Dad’s garage as a kid. The strange objects, wonderful smells and a whiff of danger from sharp blades, toxic chemicals and lethal looking power tools. I particularly remember his home made table saw with no guards or safety features whatsoever!

My dad is still with us, but in a newer house with a smaller garage. He is now in his late 80s and still enjoys a potter. At 56 I still turn into a wide eyed kid when I visit and have a rummage through his accumulated stuff and tap into his wisdom for advice on some DIY conundrum. In my teens and twenties I used to take the piss out of his hoarded jam jars full of odd screws, pipe cleaners and widgets. Now I do the same “just in case”. I think of my Dad every time I go into my own far less impressive man cave.

Lovely thread, thank you.

avdave2

This money box is from the 1930’s and still has sixpences and old pennies in it. it must have been his when he was a child.

money box

I looked for a key but a bit of googling tells me the keys were kept at the bank, you took your money box in and they opened it and put the money in your account, locked it and sent you off without the temptation of spending any of your pocket money.

It seems there is a branch of HSBC still in the old Midland bank building in Streatham Hill which would have been his local branch so maybe I should go in and ask them to open it 😊

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Just wanted to add my voice that this thread is brilliant, and makes me think very fondly of my old man. Cheers and Happy Easter

scc999

Amazing thread. Like you say, something there for most people to relate to.

Keep up the good work.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Great thread, this👍
    To this day, my Dad’s garage has a particular smell (a mixture of solder, sawdust and grass cuttings I think) that instantly transports me back to the 80s.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Love the old soldering irons, got my grandfathers for sweating patches on small engine fuel tanks.

avdave2

I cannot possibly envisage any scenario where I might need either hydraulic shock absorber fluid or valve grinding compound but I just love the tins so I’ll just have to find room for them!

tins

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Great thread avdave2.

Sounds like Steve lived a life!

One or two things bring back memories for me too.

I have some of those soldering irons, and Amal carbs, and have used grinding paste on old British motorbike valves.

Never heard of Swedish plate money.

Fascinating stuff.👍

masterdabber
    Free Member

I kept seeing this thread but never dipped in. I never knew what I was missing. Fascinating stuff and brings back a lot of memories….  thanks avdave2

granny_ring

Late to the party and not read all the posts yet, will do later.

Just also wanted to say well done OP great thread. 👍

fadda

This really does just keep on giving – I’ve now recalled a lost memory of grinding valves from my very first car (a Viva HA) with my dad showing me how to do it. I was about 18 or 19, so that was over 35 years ago and I’ve not remembered that in years!

avdave2

After a bit more googling this morning I’ve realised that the stick I’ve kept because well it’s a stick isn’t it and it’s got suckers at either end and of course one day I’ll need exactly that for something I or anyone questioning me can’t possibly foresee is in fact the valve grinding stick that goes with the compound.

fadda

Yay! Go grind some vavles!

blokeuptheroad

You can still get valve grinding paste and sticks. Bought these a few years ago when I was restoring a BSA A65. I’ve no real use for them now, but can’t throw them out!

null

null

avdave2

These were in box which I think from other things in it must have belonged to his father in law who served with the 47th London Division in France. We also have his medals and a couple of postcards of him taken in France.

The Australian Commonwealth Military Forces badge might have been his own fathers. At some point he abandoned his family and went to Australia. From the little that Steve told us we believe he served in the Royal Australian Navy.

WW1 badges

avdave2

Some more of his motorbike manuals and parts lists. He had a Triumph 650 and sidecar in the 50’s, I’ve got the receipt for the sidecar ans a few of the bits he bought for the bike. I can’t recall him mentioning the Norton, I’ll have to ask my dad about  that as he might know something about it.

Triumph

wingnuts

I had one of those Midland Bank money boxes. In the 60s I spent many hours trying to hold the spring flap back a press a coin down onto it so that I could then slide it out. Never achieved anything other than waste a few hours.

avdave2

@wingnuts I’ll have to take it to a locksmith, I don’t think there is a fortune in there but it would be nice to see coins that haven’t seen the light of day for 80 or 90 years.

Looking through all the old tools I wonder if anyone in the years to come will have the same love for the tools we are using now.

saws 1

saws 2

squirrelking
    Free Member

That watch was obvious army issue, the crows foot is the giveaway. Interesting theory on the back story, I’m sure there are those out there who could shed more light on it.

I used lapping compound only a decade or so ago at sea when overhauling cylinder heads on the generators. A nice switch off and relax job if ever there was one.

avdave2

@squirrelking the watch after a few days running is now keeping better time, it was losing 10 minutes a day when I wound it up for the first time now it seems to have gained 1-2 minutes in the last 24 hours or so.

There are quite a few things I’ve found with the arrow or crow’s foot marking. It’s possible I have a few items of my own so marked from my time in the MOD 😊

finbar
    Free Member

@squirrelking the watch after a few days running is now keeping better time, it was losing 10 minutes a day when I wound it up for the first time now it seems to have gained 1-2 minutes in the last 24 hours or so.

Maybe whatever lubricant remains in there getting redistributed a bit? You should have it serviced, running it without sufficient oil in is somewhat like doing the same thing with an engine. It only cost me £90 or so when I had it done to my grandfather’s WWII-issue Cyma wristwatch.

+1 for a photo of the whole garage please.

avdave2

Noted finbar, I’ll not wind it up again until I’ve had it serviced.

Unfortunately I don’t have a photo of the whole garage. It would have been misleading anyway because the whole central part where his car used to be was piled up with my stuff. When I moved out of my house 3 years ago following a divorce Steve let me use his garage for storage as he could no longer get down to use it. Just after he died I bought my house back from my ex-wife so now I’m in the process of moving my stuff and Steve’s stuff back across the road. The only issue I have is my garage is knackered and needs re-roofing and a new rear door and window so everything is going in my storage area under the floor. There are a lot of boxes down there! Can’t wait till I can get my garage fixed and can get all mine and Steve’s stuff back out to use.

Just to give you an idea of how much sorting out there has been to do there was one knackered old Workmate in the garage and another 2 in the conservatory, he never got rid of anything!

FB-ATB

my garage is knackered

In that case, don’t just move the contents of the garage, move it as well, Hey Presto, new garage!

“following a divorce….my storage area under the floor…”

Feel like you missed a trick there!

avdave2

@FB-ATB it’s a great idea, might be tricky with there being a house built on top of it but I could always try. Or I could just tunnel from my underfloor storage to his garage, give me something to given there is no prospect of being back at work until June.

With all the talk of rationing when all the panic buying started her’s a reminder of last time we had it.

Petrol Coupons

Just why Steve kept a petrol receipt from 1946 I’ve no idea, but all of this was in a box of old papers and books. The mice had been at it but fortunately the most interesting stuff had survived, I’ll post some of that later.

fadda

Seem to remember my dad having an old driving licence like that – sadly long gone now (both the licence and my dad!)

FB-ATB

I think the old style log book for my Dad’s Honda 50 moped is still at home (unless my Sis continued her ruthless clearout after he died).

I’m enjoying this more than FGF!

I know you mentioned donating some stuff to a museum- do you have a “living museum” locally, the type of place where they recreate homes/workplaces? Some of this stuff would be ideal.

We have one locally where they have relocated buildings that would have otherwise been demolished (my inspiration for the garage!). They’re set with day to day items and it looks like the owners have just popped out.

dove1

11/6 for 6 gallons of petrol! That’s 57&1/2p!

avdave2

It was only after I’d posted yesterday that I noticed that the directors of the garage were all Barnwell’s,so must have been relatives of his father. I checked on Companies House, it seems the company was incorporated in January 1937 and finally dissolved in 2018. I think any family involvement ended years ago, the information on Companies House only goes back to the 80’s

In an old wardrobe in the garage in a box under the box of manuals was a box of old maps and road atlases. These are just a few of them, I love the old 1 inch maps so I’ve kept them.

maps

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 253 total)

The topic ‘Steve’s Garage – a photo a day for lockdown’ is closed to new replies.