Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Steel gravel/touring bike?
  • BearBack
    Free Member

My sister sadly had her Genesis Aether stolen.
    Purchased for the ‘aesthetic’ of traditional straight steel tubes over anything else and I’d switched it over to flat bars non slick rubber.
    Used to commute to her office in London and casual weekend jaunts around the London parks so some exposure to hardpack and dirt.

So, any suggestions as to what’s out there as a suitable replacement. Flat bar, no hydroforming, straight tubes with 2 triangles, probably more towards a 35-42c tyre I’d think over 25-30c skinny road rubber.
    Well priced and brand is less important than having a traditional bike profile.

PJay
    Free Member

If she likes Genesis, there are options for the Croix De Fer with a flat bar.

joepud
    Free Member

For me its gotta be a Brother Kepler or Soma Wolverine I run flat bars on my Kepler and its billed as exactly what shes after a steel gravel touring bike, basically “all road.” This is my Kepler with flat bars and a rack still room for mudguards even running 38s.

I used mine for commuting (in my past covid free life) now its just a gravel / town bike hence the rack.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Marin Muirwoods.

chestrockwell

Yeah, Marin do some decent steel gravel/touring bikes. Really like my Four Corners.

oreetmon
    Free Member

I Keep looking at the latest Cotic escapade, shame it doesn’t have bosses on the fork ☹️

RustySpanner

Spa Elan?

Absolutely delightful things.

joepud
    Free Member

I Keep looking at the latest Cotic escapade, shame it doesn’t have bosses on the fork

They spent all the bosses money on the Solaris… but as a side note i don’t get why any bike company would build a gravel bike and not put bosses on it these days. You know why people buy these bikes versatility. I wish my Kepler had 2 or 3 more on each leg.

BearBack
    Free Member

Thanks, some interesting suggestions ive never heard of

kiwijohn

Kona Dr Dew?

abingham

Howabout going leftfield with a Surly Steamroller – does it really need gears around the city?

p7eaven
    Free Member

a wild-card suggestion

Last year I (re)bought a vgc retro (89/90sih) tourer. Reynolds 531ST lugged frame. Light yet strong. It rides lovely. Harder to find if you’re in the medium size range. Easy if short or tall. Can be had for around £200-£300, but be smart, look carefully at drivetrain/rim-wear. The one I found was much less than the ballpark and before Covid ‘tax’. Also had been maintained properly by one owner (nearly NOS). Very quickly it has become my most ridden bike. It eats miles in supreme and silent comfort. It’s also (IMO) a Really Nice Thing and so gets plenty of care. Turns out they knew a thing or two about touring bikes back then.

Usual suspects:

CB Dalesman, Dawes Galaxy, British Eagle Touristique etc

During the year I’ve switch between traditional city/grandad bars (slighly swept) and drops. I like it both ways but the grandad bars (not actually sure what they’re called) are better for urban and gravel. I’d title them ‘flat’ bars but they instead have a nice gentle rise and sweep so are more ergonomic.

With ‘those‘ bars (have since moved the bell to the stem!):

With drops:

p7eaven
    Free Member

^ Regarding tyre volume/width – it’s on 28c Marathons fitted with full guards, which works very well for most urban stuff and a bit of light offroad as pictured. I tried 35c Landcruisers and they wouldn’t go in as is (with guards or without) but I’m convinced 30c Marathons will fit even with guards. Possibly even 32c. Still possibly a deal breaker if fixed on the fatter side of road-rubber?

That said, I’m 5’9” and over 16st and so far the 28c aren’t beating me up on rides as pictured above. I do try and avoid big potholes (which is sensible anyhow). Will be trying 30c or 32c when these 28s have worn out (they seem to go forever!) but as I said, am happy as is. The frame and forks are bursting with magic wizard unicorn springs 😎. Not even lying.

epicyclo

@p7eaven We used to call them tourist bars. They were generally fitted to the style of bike called tourist by the various manufacturers, eg Raleigh Trent Tourist and such like.

I think calling them a commuter bar is more apt these days.

WildHunter2009

Fairlight Faran? Its what i’m getting to replace (maybe) a dawes galaxy.

joepud
    Free Member

p7eaven, that is so nice! there is something about those retro graphics that just look so dam cool!

p7eaven
    Free Member

^ 👍🏼

@epicyclo
    , slightly late response 😳, but – thnks that’s great info for reference. I always said I wouldn’t geek out over this bike as bought it for a workhorse, but it grew on me v quickly!

Swapped the tourist bars last autumn for the drops. I meant to sell the tourist bars but realised after some months that I missed them. Not all of the time, but for specific summer bimbling when time is on side. They felt ace. Just need some better levers and narrower/nicer grips. Any suggestions? (Brakes: Cantis. Current grips: Bikehut)

Also need to look into brake cable interrupters/couplings so could maybe change bars in moment (each set stays attached to it’s own stem)

slowol

Spa Cycles flat bar tourer may fit the bill or from Surly there is the Pack Rat or Cross Check or Bridge Club for slightly burlier. Otherwise back to the Genesis catalogue? Tour de Fer comes in flat bar variants.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Steel gravel/touring bike?’ is closed to new replies.